Flat tracker verses knee dragger!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Not really a flat tracker in the American sense of that term.

In Japan they have a strange form of motorcycle racing they call "Gamble Racing" because people are there to bet on the riders, much like a horse or dog racing track. Riders are sequestered in a closed room before their race so no one can influence their mindset or bodies before the upcoming race. The bikes are weird contraptions and when I was in Japan during the 80s, they used vintage Brit engines: BSA, Triumph, etc., from the 1960s. Hopping-up the engines was minimal because the gaming people didn't want any one rider to have an advantage and the tracks are all-paved. It's essentially a "spec racing" series similar to Formula Ford or Formula Vee.

ps. My guess is that this was some sort of exhibition/challenge to help sell tickets.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Besides the handle bars being strange I could not help but notice how narrow the rear tire is and how large the shoulder pads are. Very specific to this type of racing.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The bikes look closer to speedway bikes than dirt flat trackers to me. I'm not sure how the handlebars help control. I thought at first the right hand grip being lower and out of the wind may be for tucking in more but the riders don't really do that too much.
Interesting and quite a bit different than I could expect to see here in the USA for sure.

Brad

Top Bottom