Seeking Advice on what to Ride

I've been a member of the EagleRiders club for over a year ($29 a month is supposed to get you a one day rental but of course after insurance its a lot more). In any case, the Orlando dealer mostly only has the big stuff (Harleys, etc.) and I'm interested in a mid-size metric. I joined because they had an 800 Triumph but after I joined it was dropped (the story of my life)! About 6 months ago I rented a 883 Sportster and rode out to Tarpon Springs and back. It was my first and probably my last time to ever be on a Harley. The only thing I enjoyed about that ride was that I assumed I appeared to be a He-Man Macho riding that beast - That does count for something! They also have in their line up a BMW R 1200 RT and I'm looking at it as a possibility. So here are the seat heights and weights of the three: 883 - 25/565; NT700 - 31/520; 1200RT - 32/505. So I think it might be doable - what do you all think?

Wendell

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I think the BMW R1200 RT weighs a little more than 505#. I think you'll have to add about 7 gal. of gas to that. They are great touring bikes and handle very well at low speeds. The BMWs are very nice unless you have to pay for the maintenance on them.

If you ride it keep an eye on the speedometer. It will go fast. Have fun!!!!

A few weeks ago my wife and I went to Tucson to celebrate my upcoming "semi" retirement. We rented a BMW R1200RT, as I had always wanted to see what all the fuss is about. I am 62 years, old, 5'-8" and shrinking, 30" inseam....pretty good shape for my age.

The bike is incredible! The engine is smooth as silk, the suspension is fully adjustable for the rider/passenger/luggage.....then you get a choice of soft/medium/hard. It has 125 HP and the right side control has a button for rain/road/dyna modes..in dyna even at 1/3rd throttle I felt like I was going to throw my wife off the back! The GPS system was great, and it is right up front/top where it is easy to see. The bike had the low seat in the low position - I could flat foot easily. It had front/rear seat heaters, and grip heaters and the dashboard even has a display to show if they are turned on (I can tell when my wife was getting cold). It is heavy compared to the NT, I suspect that with luggage and fuel it is 650 pounds.....with my wife on the back it took some effort to get it off the sidestand - once under way it is nimble and a joy to ride. The bike had "shift assist" that allows clutchless shifting, and I was surprised when I found out that using the clutch actually made the shifts less smooth. The electric windshield was nice as we could move the windshield up/down while underway and adapt to the temperature and speed to keep too much wind from hitting my wife on the back. She said it was the most comfortable bike she had ever ridden on, and when I hit big bumps I didn't hear the usual "Ugghhh" from her through my Sena headset.

If I every buy a "luxury car".....it will be the R1200RT. (Seriously....I am exploring the idea of selling my NT and buying a used R1200RT...it is that good).

Attachments

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The only thing I enjoyed about that ride was that I assumed I appeared to be a He-Man Macho riding that beast - That does count for something!
Nope, you were riding a "girl" bike, just ask anyone on a "real" Harley...:rolleyes1: And if you were wimping out wearing a helmet you loose even more He-Man Macho points. A full face helmet totally disqualifies you...:wink: Even after owning a few H-D's I'll never figure out the mentality of most of the "clan"...:shrug2:

So here are the seat heights and weights of the three: 883 - 25/565; NT700 - 31/520; 1200RT - 32/505.
The RT weighs 604 pounds wet according to the BMW website (Here). When I rode one I found it felt too top heavy, and was a long reach to the ground, compared to what I was riding at the time. But I do not know which seat was on the bike, it could have been the 33.5 inch option...I need the 29.5 inch option. Any new BMW can be a brutally expensive bike to maintain, the local BMW dealer I used for my 1996 R1100R made me think H-D maintenance was a real bargain...ten years later!!! :eek1:

I see the Sportster versus the RT as a serious case of "Apples versus Oranges", they really don't compare at all. Even the OEM "Touring" version of the Sportster is in a different league than the RT. What are you looking for in your next bike?

Last edited:
OP
OP
wphillips007
Wayne, you nailed me. How did you know I was wearing my purple riding jacket on my "girlie" bike??? All i can say, the girls that ride that bike are more of a "man" than I am. As to the future, I've pretty much settled on the Honda CB500X. I've ridden it several times and it just fits me. However, it will be a year before I get one so I joined the EagleRider club just to keep my riding skills up to speed. So since I'm "downsizing" to a CB500X I'm not looking to ride larger bikes in the interim. The EagleRider agent in Miami has all sorts of mid-size metrics but in Orlando nothing, nada, zilch. So I might have to occasionally make a trip down there and then do the Miami - Key West run - which doesn't sound to bad........

Wendell

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The NT seat height is 31.7 so much closer to 32 than 31. I have a few pals with the CB500X and they love that bike. :)

BMWs are great bikes until they have mechanical/electrical problems and at that point, it can cost a ton of money: BMW = Break My Wallet! I have several good friends who are real Beemerphiles and soldier-on in spite of many incidents with weird and costly breakdowns.

The rental places have Harleys because people want to ride them. And lots of people come here from the UK and Europe to ride and they want to rent a Harley because having one at home is too cost-prohibitive. Yup, the 883 Sportster is considered a "girl's bike" by many H-D riders.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The NC700X is also a good bike that should be passed over or ignored. I have one, its the DCT model and I love it.

You get the Quality and Reliability that Honda is known for that will not break the bank. You can pick up a used one, most likely with low mileage for about $4-5k.

The stock seat is terrible and it will leave you saddle sore. You'll have replaced it or find one that had it replaced previously.

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
with my wife on the back it took some effort to get it off the sidestand
Maybe I've been doing it wrong.....I've never had my wife get on the bike with the side stand down...I place both feet on the ground, holding the bike vertical while she climbs on...which she doesn't do until I say I'm ready...

As far as the BMW....take it for a ride, it's a great machine. You'll be surprised how well it handles.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The BMW RT is the single most ergonomically correct bike I've ever been on. If I was rich and had stronger knees, it's the bike I'd own.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I have a friend with a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad, has shift drive (later when to chain), hard bags, low seat, and quite.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wayne, you nailed me. How did you know I was wearing my purple riding jacket on my "girlie" bike??? All i can say, the girls that ride that bike are more of a "man" than I am. As to the future, I've pretty much settled on the Honda CB500X. I've ridden it several times and it just fits me. However, it will be a year before I get one so I joined the EagleRider club just to keep my riding skills up to speed. So since I'm "downsizing" to a CB500X I'm not looking to ride larger bikes in the interim. The EagleRider agent in Miami has all sorts of mid-size metrics but in Orlando nothing, nada, zilch. So I might have to occasionally make a trip down there and then do the Miami - Key West run - which doesn't sound to bad........

Wendell
Hey Wendell, I am a bit confused about what this thread is all about so you help me out....are we talking about you eventually buying a bike or just renting? And what are the consequences of you falling other than personal injury on a rental bike? I test rode a stripped BMW R1200 just for fun and it of course was much lighter than the RT, but I was very impressed with the engine and slow speed handling, once you got used to the torque rock. But it is not me. The CB500X is a fine type of bike for us older riders. I am looking at a BMW F750GS as an addition to my stable (despite what dirtrider says ;) )and many bikes of this size are fine. Some, like some of the BMWs and Triumphs, come with pre lowered frames/ seats/two position seats, etc as female riders are getting to be a bigger part of the mix, and I dont care if someone calls my bike a girley bike or not...my next bike isnt going to be a handful in a gas station complex to ride around. So when you say, "Mid Sized Metrics to keep up your skills", what are we talking about model wise? We need to keep Wendell upright and healthy and able to purchase a mid-sized anything. Its a whole new world out there with every idiot on a cell phone in their cars and you do need to keep up your riding skills and acclimate to the new dangers for us out there. I dont think you need to do that on a big bike.
Chris back from a cruise to Hawaii and off to San Jose for Figure Skating Nationals....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Nope, you were riding a "girl" bike, just ask anyone on a "real" Harley...:rolleyes1: And if you were wimping out wearing a helmet you loose even more He-Man Macho points. A full face helmet totally disqualifies you...:wink: Even after owning a few H-D's I'll never figure out the mentality of most of the "clan"...:shrug2:

The RT weighs 604 pounds wet according to the BMW website (Here). When I rode one I found it felt too top heavy, and was a long reach to the ground, compared to what I was riding at the time. But I do not know which seat was on the bike, it could have been the 33.5 inch option...I need the 29.5 inch option. Any new BMW can be a brutally expensive bike to maintain, the local BMW dealer I used for my 1996 R1100R made me think H-D maintenance was a real bargain...ten years later!!! :eek1:

I see the Sportster versus the RT as a serious case of "Apples versus Oranges", they really don't compare at all. Even the OEM "Touring" version of the Sportster is in a different league than the RT. What are you looking for in your next bike?
"Like" LikeLikeLike....hey, where is the like button Mellow promised me? ;)

OP
OP
wphillips007
Thanks everybody for your input and advice - much appreciated. So the deal is that if I can keep my kids from getting all bent out of shape, I plan on getting a CB500X in a year. It's light, easy to ride and pretty much has my name written on it. But in the meantime I would like to do more than just the 20 minute demo rides at Daytona Bike Week. So I joined the EagleRider rental club but the Orlando office no longer has the mid-weight bikes that it used to have. So I'm trying to find some other option among the bikes they do have - which led me to the 883 and now considering the RT. Of course neither are mid-size metrics but at least they are not Gold Wings either. The Miami office has the NC700X and the Triumph Tiger 800 and I think some other mid-size metrics which is what I'm looking for just to keep my riding skills up. So I guess I was looking for advice as to rather a step up in size, weight and power would be a step too far. I'm not excited about pushing my ability envelope to far at this stage of my life - as I said the CB500X is plenty good for my skill set.

Wendell

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The Miami office has the NC700X and the Triumph Tiger 800 and I think some other mid-size metrics which is what I'm looking for just to keep my riding skills up. So I guess I was looking for advice as to rather a step up in size, weight and power would be a step too far. I'm not excited about pushing my ability envelope to far at this stage of my life - as I said the CB500X is plenty good for my skill set.
Wendell, I'm kind of comparing your situation to mine with my finicky knees. I'm thinking that as wonderful as the R1200RT is, it just might be that step too far. I'm guessing that there is a significant difference between the NC700X and the Triumph Tiger 800, too. I'd be inclined to stick with the NC700X out of the rental bikes you've mentioned. Good luck! And have fun!

On a semi-related note, I think, in the latest issue of Flying magazine, John King talks in his column about not talking about safety. He says that if we want to be safe, we'll never do anything worth doing (flying in his case, motorcycling in ours). The activities that give us joy aren't always safe, but we can manage the risks with wise choices. Sounds to me as if that's what you're trying to do.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks everybody for your input and advice - much appreciated. So the deal is that if I can keep my kids from getting all bent out of shape, I plan on getting a CB500X in a year. It's light, easy to ride and pretty much has my name written on it. But in the meantime I would like to do more than just the 20 minute demo rides at Daytona Bike Week. So I joined the EagleRider rental club but the Orlando office no longer has the mid-weight bikes that it used to have. So I'm trying to find some other option among the bikes they do have - which led me to the 883 and now considering the RT. Of course neither are mid-size metrics but at least they are not Gold Wings either. The Miami office has the NC700X and the Triumph Tiger 800 and I think some other mid-size metrics which is what I'm looking for just to keep my riding skills up. So I guess I was looking for advice as to rather a step up in size, weight and power would be a step too far. I'm not excited about pushing my ability envelope to far at this stage of my life - as I said the CB500X is plenty good for my skill set.

Wendell
I was very impressed with the triumph 800 I rode and they have lowered versions with easy to change two position seats. The NC700-750 series are nice bikes, as is the CB500x.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wendell, I'm kind of comparing your situation to mine with my finicky knees. I'm thinking that as wonderful as the R1200RT is, it just might be that step too far. I'm guessing that there is a significant difference between the NC700X and the Triumph Tiger 800, too. I'd be inclined to stick with the NC700X out of the rental bikes you've mentioned. Good luck! And have fun!

On a semi-related note, I think, in the latest issue of Flying magazine, John King talks in his column about not talking about safety. He says that if we want to be safe, we'll never do anything worth doing (flying in his case, motorcycling in ours). The activities that give us joy aren't always safe, but we can manage the risks with wise choices. Sounds to me as if that's what you're trying to do.
I would certainly ride both. And sit on the lowered versions of the Triumph, but yes, the NC700-750 series are great bikes. Nothing against Mr. King but it sounds like a bunch of semanics mumbo jumbo. The bathtub/shower is a very dangerous place. Especially on a pitching cruise ship. That is why I have safety in mind when I get into and out of a shower/tub. Just like I have safety in mind when I pick up a gun or chop onions, or anything else. He is correct that we can manage risks to some extent with wise choices...if we dont, Mr. Darwin will take us out of the gene pool. Safety is nothing more than being intellegent. That is why I think Wendell is being intellegent getting back on a bike slowly and honing his skills. Things have changed over the last few years and not for the better....
Check six!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Wendell, I think that the Honda 500 or 700 would be a good choice. Both have adequate power, handle well, and are, above all, reliable. It's hard to go wrong with a Honda.

Top Bottom