Seeking Advice on what to Ride

Bike
Honda NT700V
Wendell, you might ask the local office to move a bike that you're interested in. I know that they do move bikes around to meet market needs. A guy in my local BMW club regularly does fly-n-rides to help them move bikes around the country.

Thumpn,
Just bought a 2010 NT last Thursday in Phoenix, drove it back home to Green Valley that day. Since Thursday I have put almost 300 miles on it and I am very pleased with my purchase. This will stay in Arizona over the summer and I'll trailer my Burgman 400 and leave it up North. For the money the NT is hard to beat, if you decide to sell, let me know. If your in AZ for the winter and want to ride let me know. Retirement is better than you think it will be. Be well, Jack

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Wendell - it’s been a LONG time since I posted, but I have some input you may like. After a two year hiatus from motorcycles, the itch hit me again. I bought a 2017 CB500X a couple of weeks ago, loaded up, and rode it to Spearfish to meet up with “The NT Guy’s”. The 900 mile trip was a two day event each way, and I camped ths time.
The CB500 is an excellent replacement for my Burgman650, even the NT700. At 427 lbs wet, it is much more manageable for me. Although, to be honest, with the dry bag lashed on the back seat for this trip, it was quite top heavy. So much that I dropped it twice at Spearfish. Fortunately, the only damage was a broken front brake lever, but I was still able to ride it home.
This bike has an excellent engine with strong mid range torque. It is not necessary to downshift all the time. I achieved 66.1 mpg average for the 2032 mile round trip to South Dakota. RPM at 63 mph is 5,000; at 75 mph is 6,000. Very sweet sounding throuout the power band. I rode the entire trip with my AirHawk R air seat, which has always been good, so I can’t say how the seat is without. The only downside is the daily chain lubrication required, about every 500 miles or so. I can readily recommend this bike!
One other feature about this bike is the spectacular LED headlamp! Best I have ever ridden, by far.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Rich, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you more in Spearfish. I'm glad you like the little CB500. It's a good-looking bike. What moved you away from your Burgmann?

OP
OP
wphillips007
Rick, Great to see you posting agin and to hear your experience with the CB500X on a long trip. Your impressions pretty much echo my own experiences riding it and why it's at the top of my list. I'll be driving down to Miami in about a month to catch a flight over to Dubai and
Cape Town and I will have my full ridding gear with me. Hopefully I'll be able to spend a day in the saddle both before the trip and a day after on some mid-size metric that EagleRider has down there. I'm thinking of a one day trip down to Key West and another day trip over to Naples.

Wendell

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Someone at Spearfish said since Honda is a bit light on farkels for the CB500, there is another company making them....its a sweet little bike....
I'll be driving down to Miami in about a month to catch a flight over to Dubai and
Cape Town Wendell
On purpose?
You could have bought a CB500 for that kind of money and appeared at Spearfish! :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My assistant at work bought a CB500X at my suggestion and he loves it. I like the lighter weight and the 500cc mill seems to have ample power for highway travel without straining the engine. Twisted Throttle has an ample catalog of accessories to satisfy your farkle mania. I still feel comfy on Traveller but the day may come when I want something a wee bit smaller. The CB500X would be on my short list.

Mike

OP
OP
wphillips007
Chris, I'm going to Cape Town to spend some time with my son who will already be there but since going thru Dubai was the same $$ as going through Amsterdam I said sign me up! What I didn't know was that the temp in Dubai the first week of Sept is 106+ with 80+ humility!!!!! I won't have to worry about standing in long lines at the tourist attractions. I'm only going to be there for a 2 day stopover so this Florida boy should do OK. BTW the r/t price was $1,300= on Emirates Airline and on the way back I'll be on their double decker A380.

Mike, Your right, There are an amazing amount of farkles for it and I follow two CB500X forums on the ADV rider site that are pretty helpful.

Wendell

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Definitely worth the time to go through Dubai! I'm eager to hear what it's like to ride the A380. The CB500 looks interesting...but probably too tall.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Definitely worth the time to go through Dubai! I'm eager to hear what it's like to ride the A380. The CB500 looks interesting...but probably too tall.
Phil. The CB500X had a 31.8" seat height which is about the same as the NT700V. The CB500F has a 30.7" seat height

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, I'm going to Cape Town to spend some time with my son who will already be there but since going thru Dubai was the same $$ as going through Amsterdam I said sign me up! What I didn't know was that the temp in Dubai the first week of Sept is 106+ with 80+ humility!!!!! I won't have to worry about standing in long lines at the tourist attractions. I'm only going to be there for a 2 day stopover so this Florida boy should do OK. BTW the r/t price was $1,300= on Emirates Airline and on the way back I'll be on their double decker A380.

Mike, Your right, There are an amazing amount of farkles for it and I follow two CB500X forums on the ADV rider site that are pretty helpful.

Wendell
Double snicker on "humility"!!! LOL! I have nothing against Dubai, its just that I dont have a "burning" desire to go there... "snicker snicker". It is a land of access and no building codes....downhill indoor sky hill? No problem! Man with four jet engines strappped to a flying squirrel suit flying through sky scrappers? No problem.

Ref: the A380....can you say "cattle car?" Bahhhhhhh Baaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. There arent enough drugs in the world to make me be able to stay seated in a spam can for that long....
Bring back the 747 piano bars, I says..... "Harrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh" Drives me nuts...."

Not an A380

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Have a great trip Wendell! Thanks for the video! I wonder what they did to get thrown off the big plane? :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
They don't look like they're too worried about tip vortices.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Wow!! Look at the gal on the left with the white go-go boots! Straight out of the 70's I'd say. The only thing missing is a leisure suit!

Mike

Top Bottom