Car Driving craziness...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My SO lives some distance away so during bad weather, it requires travel on the interstates. During good weather I ride and have created several different routes to avoid boredom.

One thing I've never understood is the mentality of what I'd call "followers." The slab is mostly empty and I'm in the middle lane holding at the posted speed limit + 5 MPH so people are free to pass on either side. I'm always scanning my mirrors and from way back comes a car/truck that pulls up behind me by 2-3 car lengths and decides to hang there for what seems like forever. Are they practicing to be in NASCAR? If I was going at a speed sure to attract Smokey the Bear, I could understand that they're using me as a "blocker" against radar but I'm only going 65-75.

Why some drivers do this is beyond me. :confused:

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Following someone on the freeway takes much less effort than overtaking and driving by yourself (ahead of the pack). I have often wondered whether drivers do this just to have a "mental break".

Occasionally I have found myself doing this sub consciously (and I usually like to be a "leader"). When I realise that I am in "following" mode, I am usually always mentally fatigued and probably ready for a quick stop to refresh my mind.

So maybe this is what was happening in your case.

I would be interested to hear what others think.

Seagrass

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'm the opposite of what you describe because I prefer a clear road in front so I can make lane changes or speed adjustments as I see fit, depending on the situation. Being with other cars limits your ability to move freely.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
A couple reasons for following are:
It is easier and they don’t have to think.
Around here at night people do it to allow the car ahead to hit the deer.

I like space in front of me. And to the rear. And both sides. I’m happiest when I’m alone on the road.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't think following on a multi lane road is easier but on a 2 lane with curves it is to me. The driver in front does the main judging of speed for how sharp the curves are because his view is better. Drivers need to pay attention no matter where they are.

I think you are trying to use logic here and there is not enough logic in use on our roads. Distracted driving for instance.

Brad

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
With cruise control I don’t know why you need to pace anyone. Probably heard mentality.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Drivers can always amaze you with their skill. Too fast, Too close, Too much in a hurry. If you thought too hard about it you would never ride a motorcycle.
I've been rear ended on a expressway, smashed into at a stop light while stopped by guy with a beer between his legs (he took off, I saw beer), and finally killed a passenger in a car the slide sideways across 3 lanes into my lane on an icy road as I T-boned the car (I was going about 30 and went 3 feet into the side of the car-he got a ticket for going too fast for conditions after 3 trips to court which he did not ever show up the first 2). I did get a few days off work after 2 of the accidents, but would rather of not had the time off.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I forgot to mention above that drivers are "individuals". Some are timid, some are agressive, some are clueless, some are stupid, some are drunk, some are drugged, some are tired, and some are old. Some for all I know might be all of the above. Regardless of the drivers ability (or inability) or condition, or the condition of their car, a lot of drivers have what I call a "me first" mentality. What ever happened to "relax and enjoy the ride"?

There are times when we spot a driver that we just don't trust. We watch that guy like a hawk, to the point we might miss something else. We need to watch that "idiot" but remain vigilant for the next one too. Riding a motorcycle is a full time job. Even when there are no cars in sight there can always be a deer, jack rabbit, or a turkey looking for the worst possible moment to cross the road.

America is so committed to the automobile that driving seems to have become a constitutional right. I don't remember seeing that in the Consitiution, but we seem to treat it that way. Last time I looked WI was the only state where drunk dirving was NOT a crime. It's the same a J-walking (civil forfiture), but a lot more dangerous.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Back in the previous Thread about the "dying" motorcycle industry, folks were talking about seeing Police Officers talking on cell phones. That wouldn't bother me as much as the WY HP officer who passed me as I was riding to Salt Lake City back in '16. I'd stopped for gas in Rock Springs and as I pulled back onto I-80, a WHP passed me while texting on his cell phone. I thought about pulling him over, but he was going faster than I felt like going, so I didn't. :)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I enjoy driving, and to that end, had always owned cars and motorcycles that perform and are fun to drive. Operating any motor vehicle is a full time job requiring alertness and concentration. When driving or riding, I consciously pick my line in curves and always exercise caution rounding curves I can't see all the way around. Even my new SUV-a 2017 Ford Escape, has 250HP. In my case, performance has a lot to do with why I choose a particular car or bike. It trumps economy. Power is a strong safety feature.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I just read a news report on a basketball coach/bus driver from a neighboring town that was pulled over for DUI with kids in the bus. What do these people think they are doing?
He was charged with DWI and endangering the kids.

Thinking of DUI, New Years Eve is a special night. Be careful if you are out where the heavy drinkers are around.

Brad

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...With cruise control I don’t know why you need to pace anyone...]

Another feature on most cars that many people usually ignore and prefer to drive at an inconsistent speed even on long flat stretches where you can see for miles. Don't they realize you maximize your mileage by using the cruise control?

Bike
Honda NT700V
[...With cruise control I don’t know why you need to pace anyone...]

Another feature on most cars that many people usually ignore and prefer to drive at an inconsistent speed even on long flat stretches where you can see for miles. Don't they realize you maximize your mileage by using the cruise control?
I don't understand it either. You're out on some long stretch rolling along with the cruise control set and some vehicle passes and, after a bit, slows down and you have to pull over to pass. Then, here it comes again and the scenario repeats until you pull off for gas. Or, they'll roll up in the passing lane and then camp off your rear quarter. When you come up behind a slower vehicle, you have to step on the brake and wait for the dummy to go by or nail it and cut in front of him.

And then there is the racer. You're rolling along with the cruise control set catching up with another vehicle. As you get closer, he gradually speeds up. He doesn't want to go any faster, but subconsciously doesn't want you to pass. I have fun with those clowns. I slowly speed up and watch as they match, then keep speeding up until they finally realize how fast they're going and nail the brakes.

I used to have fun with the clamp-ons, the ones who clamp right onto your butt. The road out of town had a straight stretch that ended with a constant radius curve leading onto the highway. The curve had a 25 mph speed limit, but I rode that route every day and knew that I could easily do 50 on my bike. Quite often, there'd be somebody clamped on my butt, not paying attention. I'd look in the mirror part way through the curve and their eyes would be like saucers as they woke up.

As my old bicycle buddy used to say, "You got to pay attention."

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Bicyclist thanks for that post. It is good to know that the driving habits of a lot of Australians are not unique to Australia.

Seagrass

tawilke46

I don't understand it either. You're out on some long stretch rolling along with the cruise control set and some vehicle passes and, after a bit, slows down and you have to pull over to pass. Then, here it comes again and the scenario repeats until you pull off for gas. Or, they'll roll up in the passing lane and then camp off your rear quarter. When you come up behind a slower vehicle, you have to step on the brake and wait for the dummy to go by or nail it and cut in front of him.

And then there is the racer. You're rolling along with the cruise control set catching up with another vehicle. As you get closer, he gradually speeds up. He doesn't want to go any faster, but subconsciously doesn't want you to pass. I have fun with those clowns. I slowly speed up and watch as they match, then keep speeding up until they finally realize how fast they're going and nail the brakes.

I used to have fun with the clamp-ons, the ones who clamp right onto your butt. The road out of town had a straight stretch that ended with a constant radius curve leading onto the highway. The curve had a 25 mph speed limit, but I rode that route every day and knew that I could easily do 50 on my bike. Quite often, there'd be somebody clamped on my butt, not paying attention. I'd look in the mirror part way through the curve and their eyes would be like saucers as they woke up.

As my old bicycle buddy used to say, "You got to pay attention."
Must be human nature??? I run across these kinds of drivers all the time. Some drive you nuts......no pun intended.

Top Bottom