Any experiences with the VFR1200X?

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
http://powersports.honda.com/2016/vfr1200x.aspx

This seems like a lot of more motorcycle, maybe more than I can handle at 68 years old.
I am intrigued by the cool V-4 engine and the shaft drive.
My NT700 just passed 60,000 miles and still running strong.
But I just retired and started thinking about longer motorcycle trips.

I bought a non-current 2015 NC700 with the DCT and have come to really admire the transmission.
The biggest negative of the VFR1200 is that the thing weights 600+ lbs.
My local Honda dealer (pusher?) ordered two 2016's when they first came out.

He never sold one, has a big discount, and really seems anxious.

Super Dave

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't have any experience with the VFR but don't jump on it because of the "deal". It has to be a good fit for you.
I know many of us here downsized to the NT as we got older.

Brad

Bike
Honda NT700V
My NT700 just passed 60,000 miles and still running strong.
But I just retired and started thinking about longer motorcycle trips.
C'mon, just admit it; you want a new motorcycle, NTTAWWT. There's nothing wrong with your NT and it will make as long a trip as you want it to.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I don't have any experience with the VFR but don't jump on it because of the "deal". It has to be a good fit for you.
I know many of us here downsized to the NT as we got older.
Brad give good advice.
I tried hard to get one, but no mater how hard I tried I just couldn't get comfortable on one.
But it is an awsome bike!!!!!

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I rode one at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show the previous year, the DCT model. I liked the feel of the bike and the power when you snapped the throttle. I found the shift points be a bit off when compared to the NC700, some of the downshifts were quite harsh from what I am used to.

IMG_7160[1].jpg

This would be definitely the bike that I would want to some cross-country riding/touring on.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I rode my NT across the country after owning it for seven years. It worked great for the job. I did take Rt 20 across on the way west. Took Mostly highways on the trip back. The bike handled both with no problem. I had a list of things to do to the bike to make it perfect and I saw a deal at a much bigger bike that Had caught my eye previously.
The price I have had to pay to get electronic cruse control six speeds and a deep well of extra power was some weight pushing the bike around. The second and maybe more serious problem is how easy it is to find yourself 20 and more mph over the limit. The extra weight melts away when you are on the throttle. I still have the Honda. Still enjoy riding it. There are lighter bikes out there, faster ones as well. The NT still makes me smile and hits a comfort spot with me that is hard to describe. A comfortable pair of boots ready to go to work or play...

The VFR 1200 would definitely be on my radar if a deal came along.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Several friends who've ridden the VFR1200 on demo rides said the ergonomics didn't work for them. All of them were riders of 55+ age who preferred an upright seating position and rode ST1300s, ADV bikes, etc. No experience myself so just passing along info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuperDave
Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I believe that some of you are thinking about the VFR1200F, the one that looks like a big sportbike.
That one has sold so poorly that Honda still has non-current 2013s for sale.
None of the Boise-area dealers even have one in stock.

I was looking at the VFR1200X, the V-4, shaft-drive adventure bike.
The X model has upright seating, an adjustable windshield, the DCT option, and a very strong engine.
The sad part is the 600 lbs.

Top Bottom