Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back in the saddle

My Gallery

Back in the saddle

Howdy folks. I'm an old geezer (approaching 60 way too fast). But from my drive-bys on this site, it seems I may be fit into this community well. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Been a motorcyclist for a long time. As you might guess from my username, I'm a native and lifelong Texan. If you're not, I'm truly sorry. Started out on dirt bikes. First street bike was an '80 Honda CM400T. Graduated to an '81 Suzuki GS850G. Got out for a while. Got back in with the purchase of a Honda Shadow Spirit (750). Then a Kawasaki Concours. That one scared me a few times - a little too fast. Slowed down with an '08 Kawsaki KLR650. Got out again. My wife knew I had the disease when she met me, but I honored her wishes and sold the KLR after we lost a close friend in a motorcycle accident. My 4 kids are all grown now, and I believe that God's going to take me when he's ready to take me, whether I'm riding a bike, or walking down the sidewalk. And as I've gotten older, I've come to believe that if you act old, you will be old, so I've decided to act young again and get back into the game. Ran across a really clean '10 NT with 15K miles and the dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse. Haven't even picked the bike up yet. Having the dealer add a few assorted accessories, so I guess I already have the AAS disease as my wife calls it - Accessory Acquisition Syndrome. But joined this group just to tap into the wisdom of the community. I probably won't see you at rallies. I'm a lone wolf - don't really like riding in groups. But I'll wave if we meet - just cause I like riding alone, doesn't mean I'm completely anti-social. Anyway, the rules said I had to post an introduction in order to open up the site permissions, so there you go. Intro done. Stay safe out there. Happy New Year!

My Gallery

Re: Back in the saddle

Welcome to NT-World, Jim. I used to live in Texas, born in Bonham, lived in Longview before I started school and then moved back and graduated from high school there, went to college in Jacksonville and Georgetown, and graduated from seminary at SMU. I moved out of Texas for the last time in '77. I started riding on a Honda Shadow 600 in '97, bought an '83 GL650i Silverwing in '98, and then the first of two '99 Kawasaki Concours in '99. I got my '10 ABS NT in March of '10 and am still riding it at 125,000 miles.

I understand your attraction to riding alone, but will say that our NT-Rallies are worth attending partly because there are people there who ride the way I do. We don't do big group rides, usually just a few people together. Enjoy the group in whatever way works for you and enjoy your NT when you get it.
    Last edited by Phil Tarman; 01-01-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

Macka
    My Gallery

Welcome aboard from an Aussie Member. I too do a lot of riding alone but I also enjoy riding is small groups.
    Enjoy the bike. I looked at mine today, parked in the garage, all shiny and polished and said to myself, Gee this is a GOOD BIKE! Despite the couple of negatives, I really like this bike.

Macka

My Gallery

approaching 60??!!.... Jeez, another whippersnapper.... just what we need, another pup! Oh well, welcome anyway Tex, you will like the group and you've got a great bike!

Mike
    "tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...." Mark Twain

My Gallery

Thank you for being sorry that most of us are not from TX. I've never been to TX and I'm not even sorry. I've been within a few miles a few times and thought about "dipping my toe in the water there" but never made it. And "approaching 60" is NOT old around here. At 74 I'm on my 4th last motorcycle. A lot of us here have a Concours in our past, mostly the old C10 not the C14.

It is a good forum here. You can find technical help and camaraderie and maybe a little BS too. You wrote a good introduction. Welcome.

My Gallery

Welcome and Happy New Year.
    A new bike is great way to start the year out.

Brad

(Threadstarter)

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Thank you for being sorry that most of us are not from TX. I've never been to TX and I'm not even sorry. I've been within a few miles a few times and thought about "dipping my toe in the water there" but never made it. And "approaching 60" is NOT old around here. At 74 I'm on my 4th last motorcycle. A lot of us here have a Concours in our past, mostly the old C10 not the C14.

It is a good forum here. You can find technical help and camaraderie and maybe a little BS too. You wrote a good introduction. Welcome.
    Yes, my Concours experience is also the C10. Based on your map, you've avoided Texas like the plague! We're really not THAT bad. You have to really try hard to visit every adjoining state and miss Texas completely. Thanks for the welcome. And call me Jim, not Tex. (It looks like we may have a first name in common, so you're obviously a pretty good guy.) Looking forward to hitting the road once the weather warms a bit.

My Gallery

Welcome to the forum from next door in Lousyana.
    Got a great bike in the NT. Enjoy!
    I am almost an old geezer at 72......this March.
    TIM WILKES
    2010 NT700V "PhaNTom" #1470
    2009 DL650 Wee (Phantom II)
    Vietnam Veterans of America Life Member
    NT Only

2018 Miles:
    My Gallery

Welcome Jim! As another whippersnapper at 61, I think you will find this group to be younger than their ages. Best part is "what you see is what you get" from straight shooters with a willingness to share their experience.

Love your wife's acronym AAS. Your not alone in that regard, many on this forum have it too!

Happy New Year! 2018 here we come!
    --Walt
    2010 Bloom Red NT700V

My Gallery

Welcome to the forum.
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast