Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Winter is hard

My Gallery

Re: Winter is hard

Quote Originally Posted by ARKNT View Post
    Between the fires & now rains/slides, CA is going through it big time.
    Stay alert out there.
    Thank you all for your thoughts and good wishes. As mentioned earlier, my immediate family is not affected nor are we in any type of danger from this latest storm. Many others were not as lucky as we were.

I will be back on NaTalie both tomorrow and Friday.
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie, 2013 NC700X - NaNCy, & 1987 XL600R - Megas

My Gallery

With temps in the 50s, I was all ready to take a ride yesterday then the rain started in late morning and continued for most of the day. We now we have a large blob of icy rain headed our way followed by a fairly heavy snowfall. None of the weather guys seem to agree on the possible snow depth so it ranges from 3" to 12" and behind that storm is sub-freezing temps. No riding next week!

My Gallery

I considered a ride yesterday as temperatures spiked into the 60s here in beautiful Wayne county. However do to the lingering effects of a cold and the fact that there was still salt all over the roads I declined. Today we are expected to get rain, freezing rain, then 4-6 inches of snow. Sounds like a good day to hunker down by the fireplace.
    Dan
    2013 Blue Triumph Trophy
    2011 Triumph Bonneville T100

My Gallery

The SoCal weather is almost back to normal. We are expected to have higher than normal temperatures in the 70's for the next few days. This weekend is forecasted to be in the low 80's. This is not normal for this time of year.

The weather patterns have been quite bizarre lately and the past few years. Typically we should temperatures in the high 30's or low 40's in the early mornings and make into the high 60's during the day. I have been constantly switching my riding gear from Winter to Fall and then back again. I am at the point I am not sure to wear every morning. I overdressed for the cold yesterday and sweated like mad coming home.

I wore my mesh pants with the liner installed this morning, my legs felt a little bit cold this morning.

Dont have much to say about this winter except there has been no real riding weather....snow on the ground forever...wet...rain and snow and rain and snow....
    Went to Hawaii on a cruise ship in Dec. and saw some wonderful maritime museums in San Diego and of course at Pearl. Got mildly sick with allergies/cold/something and
    missed the Grand Canyon of Hawaii....then after a week home flew to San Jose and saw Frisco's maritime museum, which was wonderful. A friend and I climbed from the bridge and gun
    mounts to the crankshaft of the world's only operational Liberty Ship, and this one made the channel crossing 11 times during the invasion of Normandy. Saw the US Figure Skating Nationals
    but me and lots of other people and the skaters came down with the San Jose crud. Came home about the 8th and had oral surgury on the 11th. Hopefully will have the stiches out
    on Thursday....tired of soft food! But at least the antibiotics they are making me take have killed the crud. I sit in the recliner at night by the fire place glass doors and feel like a one
    legged man in a butt kicking contest but my face swelling has gone down and I can do short periods of exercise and am getting my strength back. 5 weeks and I can eat anything I want,
    which is good cause I am loosing all the weight I gained on the cruise ship and more.....now a few days of sun are going away and we will be back in the wet and cold for awhile. Everyone
    stay healthy cause the H3N2 virus in the flu shot mutated and the Aussies got hit hard and now we are too...dream about the rally!
    2010 NT700v, "Spanish Dancer" , 2014 FJR "Red Torpedo"

My Gallery

Cold winter!!! Near or below zero since before Christmas except for about 2 or 3 days. Not a lot of snow (till today). Enough snow for XC skiing except the snow is the cold, dry, squeeky kind that allows no glide. Like skiing on styrofoam except colder. The January wood pile is half gone already and we still have two more weeks of January. The vehicles are coated with a crust of salt. Washing is pointless because the vehicle is re-coated before getting home from the car wash. No illness in this house YET!!!! But cabin fever is starting to set in. Lack of activity is causing severe temptation to buy stuff on the internet. I get all these great ideas of stuff I don't really need.

The good side of this awful winter is that it will kill a lot of the bugs that can't overwinter in extreme cold. I'm hoping the deer ticks are taking a kicking. We haven't had any floods, fires, huricanes, or tornados. I'm on highground, about 400' above Lake Superior, so I'm not too worried. Days are getting a little longer and the noon sun is a little higher than the 28 degrees about the horizon than it was a couple weeks ago.

Bad winters make spring sweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Cold winter!!! Near or below zero since before Christmas except for about 2 or 3 days. Not a lot of snow (till today). Enough snow for XC skiing except the snow is the cold, dry, squeeky kind that allows no glide. Like skiing on styrofoam except colder. The January wood pile is half gone already and we still have two more weeks of January. The vehicles are coated with a crust of salt. Washing is pointless because the vehicle is re-coated before getting home from the car wash. No illness in this house YET!!!! But cabin fever is starting to set in. Lack of activity is causing severe temptation to buy stuff on the internet. I get all these great ideas of stuff I don't really need.

The good side of this awful winter is that it will kill a lot of the bugs that can't overwinter in extreme cold. I'm hoping the deer ticks are taking a kicking. We haven't had any floods, fires, huricanes, or tornados. I'm on highground, about 400' above Lake Superior, so I'm not too worried. Days are getting a little longer and the noon sun is a little higher than the 28 degrees about the horizon than it was a couple weeks ago.

Bad winters make spring sweeter.
    So true. Today our sun here clawed its way to 21 degrees above the horizon......but the sunset has gained about a half hour....and more each day.....wish it was colder here to kill more bees and bugs.....

My Gallery

The snow pretty much missed me last night but the cold is here for a couple days. It is 11 deg this morning. It doesn't compare to you northerners but is enough for us. I do hope the cold knocks the deer ticks back a bunch but those critters are tough.

It is almost amusing to watch the news/weather people when we get winter weather. Yesterday they had reporters stationed along the roadways hours before the snow came. There was nothing to see or report on but It does get people to prepare and not take the situation too lightly. I just watched the news and weather crew step outside the studio. It is 11 deg, 1 was bundled up, 1 had no hat, and 1 had no hat and a skirt with exposed legs. This may not be the best example of how to prepare for the cold.

Brad

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ARKNT View Post
    I do hope the cold knocks the deer ticks back a bunch but those critters are tough.
    I'm not an entomologist, but from what I've seen it takes temperatures lower than 20 below for a few days to reduce deer ticks. I remember sometime in the early 80s the entomologists told us that deer ticks would never be able to survive this far north. Three years later they were here.

As for the "news", you have to remember that what we see on TV is what pays the bills for the most part. I agree that reporters outside in skirts and bare legs is a poor example to set. But it will probably help get higher ratings for the "news".

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Wow everyone likes winter, go figure. I be very glade when the Kubota has time to rest, waiting just to mow the pasture.

Between the dogs, horses, and snow I still have my bikes with nothing done for spring. I have the new tires for the NT, and should get tires for the RT. I need to rebuild the forks on the RT, and need to remove the exhaust to repair the bolts on oil filter cover (I think the previous owner did not use correct hex to remove bolts). If you ever had a old BMW you know that if the exhaust nuts shoul not loosen at oil changes the basely fuse to the head. Hopefully heat will allow removal or you resort to dremil to cut the nut off. A 34 year old exhaust nut can be a real lot of fun to remove.
    Old Man with too little time and too much to ride

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast