Thread: Great River Road

My Gallery

Great River Road

I got a link from one of my RV groups. This peaked my interest in a ride I been thinking about for years, just no time for 3000 miles at one time.
    https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/byways/2279/maps

https://experiencemississippiriver.com/interactive-tools/order-a-free-great-river-road-10-state-map/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_River_Road

I hoping to take some of this route this year. Between dogs, and wife getting a new hip not sure how much riding I'll get in on long trips this year. RV may get more miles then motorcycles this year.
    Last edited by Miairhead; 01-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    Old Man with too little time and too much to ride

My Gallery

Re: Great River Road

Looks very interesting!
    Dan
    2013 Blue Triumph Trophy
    2011 Triumph Bonneville T100

My Gallery

It's a great road for motorcycles. The section between La Crosse and Prescott is amazing, especially in the morning with the bluffs on your right. Be sure to stop in Alma for the river view.

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/loca...verlook-200511

Brad

My Gallery

That looks awesome. The cold here has had me completely off the bike. below 0 temps have been just brutal. Thanks for the warm dose "planing" to make the day have a smile in it.
    Karl
    2010 ABS "Jezabell"

My Gallery

I've done most of it, but not at one time. One trip was StL to Nawlins and the next was StL to LaCrosse. I plan on finishing the northern segment one day with a ride around Lake Superior. A great ride! Highly recommended. Allow enough time to stop and smell the roses. Also, there are numerous mom and pop motels in the route. Stay in them if you can.

Mike
    "tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...." Mark Twain

My Gallery

And for a beer and some good eats:

http://www.pepinpicklefactory.com

My Gallery

I've traveled the Great River Road many times in the upper part. My frustration is that no matter which side you are on you're missing something on the other side. Now I try to ride on the east side in the AM and on the west side in the PM so the sun is at your back when looking across the river.

You'll see a lot of bikes on a summer weekend. Harleys will be cruising the highway next to the river and the sport bikes will be running the hill country on each side. Lots of tourist attractions along the river. The Pickle Factory mentioned above has some of the highest priced beer I've ever had, but the view is great. There is better beer at the craft brewhouses along the way.

On one trip, which was led by my brother-in-law, we followed the Great River south as far as TN. I am used to doing my own navigating, but on this trip I followed like a little puppy. It was much easier to enjoy the scenery, but I got lost at times. I lost track of which side of the river we were on and even which state we were in, because I was so busy enjoying the ride. We didn't ride from point to point, but we rode some very interesting roads which the leader had planned out ahead of time and just led us that way with no group discussion of where we were going or would end up.

It sure beats riding across MN and the Dakotas, and it beats riding through Chicago to get to NC. Personally I like to ride the Great River Road from MO south more than the part on the upper end that I ride all the time.

My Gallery

All of the Great River Road I've ever ridden is the part between Prairie du' Chien, WI and Lacrosse. I'd like to do more. I just ordered the map.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

It's a few miles off your route, but try to get to the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa Iowa. I guarantee that you will be glad you did.

+ New Posts