Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MoCo closes KCMO plant

2018 Miles:
    My Gallery

MoCo closes KCMO plant

Things appear to be getting worse for the MoCo. They just announced they will be closing the Kansas City assembly plant in 2019 with a loss of 900 jobs. Production is being moved to the York, PA plant. MoCo earnings for the most recent quarter are down 82%. The entire industry is in the doldrums but HD more so than anyone else.
    "tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...." Mark Twain

My Gallery

Re: MoCo closes KCMO plant

I also read that they are planning on producing the Live Wire electric motorcycle in 2019.

It appears to me that they are desperate to find a solution for what ails them and the industry which is the baby boomers departing in ever larger numbers and not enough GenX to replace them. They now know what Sears has been going through.

Frankly I don't think there is a solution that will bring them back to the glory days. They had better figure out how to be a smaller more diversified company. Grandpa's cruiser is not going to cut it.
    Warren
    2010 NT700V ABS Silver, #0225, "Arcee"
    1977 Yamaha XS650 (Sold)

The 500 and 750 water cooled models for the rest of the world (not USA) are currently made in India. One wonders when the rest will roll of the assembly line next to them.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    2018 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by suvcw04 View Post
    The 500 and 750 water cooled models for the rest of the world (not USA) are currently made in India. One wonders when the rest will roll of the assembly line next to them.
    The V-Rod (since discontinued) was made in KC, along with the Sportsters, the Dyna's (now discontinued) and the Street's 500 & 750. I don't have very reliable info on this but I believe that the 500 & 750's have been pretty much a dead issue at the dealers. I'm thinking that the MoCo will either discontinue the made in USA Streets or import them from India. That leaves only the Sportster to survive the move to York. I don't think that the electric bikes will bring salvation to the MoCo either as that is still and likely to remain a niche market until the range issue is (if ever) worked out. I'm sure that there will be a lot of long, sleepless nights in Milwaukee as they try to figure out their future.

Mike

My Gallery

Yes, I heard that on my radio as I was running errands yesterday.

All of the manufacturers are essentially in the same boat as regards a downturn in motorcycle sales but not as severely as H-D. H-D has for the past 3-4 decades, catered to the buyer who wants American Iron and wants it to be big, loud, and shiny, with tons of accessories available. Not since the 60s with Aermacchi has Harley tried to attract younger buyers and the recent 500 only exists here because H-D needed it for rider training, not because they were trying to cultivate a new market.

A close riding pal bought a NOS 500 for a song because the local H-D dealer wanted it gone. That bike appeared well-made and the engine was quiet - quite unlike a Harley - and he was happy with it. If they import that bike from India, it will sell even less than it did being "assembled" in Kansas City. His was the only 500 or 750 that I ever saw on the road.

My Gallery

I've seen one 500 here in my neighborhood. Somebody who works at the nearby Wing Shack has one. That makes a grand total of one I've seen.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery

Those small Harleys are about as rare as NT700's.

Brad

My Gallery

If I wanted a 500 I would get a Honda CB500F. It costs less and is a much better motorcycle.

My Gallery

I have ridden the 750 Street, adequate power but the bike was intended for someone of small stature.

I am 6 feet tall and it did not fit.
    Roy Cope

All Bikes

My Gallery

I've been told that the 500s aren't bad bikes.
    Dan
    2013 Blue Triumph Trophy
    2011 Triumph Bonneville T100

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast