MoCo closes KCMO plant

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Things appear to be getting worse for the MoCo. They just announced they will be closing the Kansas City assembly plant in 2019 with a loss of 900 jobs. Production is being moved to the York, PA plant. MoCo earnings for the most recent quarter are down 82%. The entire industry is in the doldrums but HD more so than anyone else.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I also read that they are planning on producing the Live Wire electric motorcycle in 2019.

It appears to me that they are desperate to find a solution for what ails them and the industry which is the baby boomers departing in ever larger numbers and not enough GenX to replace them. They now know what Sears has been going through.

Frankly I don't think there is a solution that will bring them back to the glory days. They had better figure out how to be a smaller more diversified company. Grandpa's cruiser is not going to cut it.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The 500 and 750 water cooled models for the rest of the world (not USA) are currently made in India. One wonders when the rest will roll of the assembly line next to them.
The V-Rod (since discontinued) was made in KC, along with the Sportsters, the Dyna's (now discontinued) and the Street's 500 & 750. I don't have very reliable info on this but I believe that the 500 & 750's have been pretty much a dead issue at the dealers. I'm thinking that the MoCo will either discontinue the made in USA Streets or import them from India. That leaves only the Sportster to survive the move to York. I don't think that the electric bikes will bring salvation to the MoCo either as that is still and likely to remain a niche market until the range issue is (if ever) worked out. I'm sure that there will be a lot of long, sleepless nights in Milwaukee as they try to figure out their future.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, I heard that on my radio as I was running errands yesterday.

All of the manufacturers are essentially in the same boat as regards a downturn in motorcycle sales but not as severely as H-D. H-D has for the past 3-4 decades, catered to the buyer who wants American Iron and wants it to be big, loud, and shiny, with tons of accessories available. Not since the 60s with Aermacchi has Harley tried to attract younger buyers and the recent 500 only exists here because H-D needed it for rider training, not because they were trying to cultivate a new market.

A close riding pal bought a NOS 500 for a song because the local H-D dealer wanted it gone. That bike appeared well-made and the engine was quiet - quite unlike a Harley - and he was happy with it. If they import that bike from India, it will sell even less than it did being "assembled" in Kansas City. His was the only 500 or 750 that I ever saw on the road.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've seen one 500 here in my neighborhood. Somebody who works at the nearby Wing Shack has one. That makes a grand total of one I've seen.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Those small Harleys are about as rare as NT700's.

Brad

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If I wanted a 500 I would get a Honda CB500F. It costs less and is a much better motorcycle.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I have ridden the 750 Street, adequate power but the bike was intended for someone of small stature.

I am 6 feet tall and it did not fit.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I have ridden the 750 Street, adequate power but the bike was intended for someone of small stature...]

Probably true since it was designed for overseas sales where people still buy motorcycles!

If you bought a 500 or 750 H-D to belong to "the Harley family," you'd probably be treated like you brought the plague. As it is, riders of 883 Sportsters were often looked down upon so I can't imagine how many bad words the faithful would use to describe a 500/750 rider! :-(

ps. I saw where H-D operating profits dropped by 82% from the previous year which is truly staggering.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Last night H-D made the national news. Not for the plant closure, or profits, but for the new electric Harley. The funny part was you would think no one had done an electric before....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It's been their hallmark to introduce any new feature on their bikes while making it sound as if they were 1st: disc brakes, dual piston calipers, twin cams, liquid cooling, etc., all of those about 20-years behind the rest of the industry.
:rofl1:

ps. the Twin Cams didn't replace a single cam; it was to replace an engine that had four cams for decades. Each valve had its own cam and they were all driven by 4 gears with input coming in at one end of the long gear train. I often thought that last cam in the gear train was retarded by at least a full tooth!

Last edited:

Bab

Bike
2010 NT Silver
I had concerns for H-D for more than 20 years. My first bike I owned that actual ran was a 250 Sprint. It was indestructible, but who actually built it? I rode a '95 Sportster with a factory jug kit in it and it was a great bike, that didn't ask anything of me other than routine maintenance. I rode a '92 Ultraglide for 14 years, and again no problem. I began hearing horror stories of the newer bikes and failing quality. It appeared to me that they were focusing on fashion, and various other dooberrys instead of zoning in on the development of the bikes.
I believe the assembly floors had issues in house also. I worked for a supplier of manufacturing equipment supplied to the plant in Yorktown. As the service manager I had the answers to get their machine running, but their electrician would not speak to me because I was not in the union. As a rider and owner I had a reasonable allegiance to H-D, as they built a bike I could count on, but I did wonder where the team effort on their part was that day, and what the production numbers might have been? Was he just one bad apple, or the result of something spoiling?
I do not advertise freely by wearing trade marks of anyone and every one. I hope my by showing support of a given manufacturer by wearing their brands states it has been earned. I've been looking for a new hat for some time now.

So last Thursday Sanford closed down its main street and held it monthly street fair/block party. They often have some good bands playing so I usually drift down to check out the scene. Well would you believe it there was the local HD dealer with a 500 on a trailer. The front tire was locked down and the back tire was on rollers and they were encouraging everybody to get on it and go through the gears. There was a lady HD staff trainer giving all the newbies instructions. I waited my turn and gave it a try myself. It sure didn't sound like a Harley, didn't look like a Harley but shifting up and down was very smooth. Who knows if that generated any business for them but at least they are trying or desperate. Unfortunately they didn't persuade me - my money is still on the CB500X.

Wendell

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The CB500X is a great bike! My co-worker has one, and loves it. I have one in the back of my mind if and when Traveller becomes too much to handle. On a subject related to the thread, HD announced a recall of some 250K bikes that will cost 'em $29mil. Ouch! Couldn't have come at a worse time.

Mike

Top Bottom