Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show dealers don't care about NT

My Gallery

Show dealers don't care about NT

Old Man with too little time and too much to ride

My Gallery

Re: Show dealers don't care about NT

Just because they say it has ABS, doesn't mean it does. Check the pictures: no C-ABS decal on the front fender; no ABS sensing ring inside the front discs. No ABS. Dealers don't know.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

That is my point, Honda NEVER imported a RED ABS. I wonder if they will sell it to someone who does not know the difference. Of course they might charge for that custom luggage too, that might be a option from this dealer.

My Gallery

Well, goes to show you that the market did not want this bike, just like the Pacific Coast. However, the PC was sold in the US several more than the NT was.

Wikipedia - Honda Pacific Coast Despite Honda's efforts this bike was not widely accepted by the public. The NT has suffered the same fate...

I am sure if that some Joe came up and offered them $3,500 for it, they'd take it just to get it out the door.
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie, 2013 NC700X - NaNCy, & 1987 XL600R - Megas

My Gallery

The NT700 already existed in Europe from around 2006 and before that it was a NT650 (from around 1998?) also a mid-size, sport touring model. I believe the 2006 was still fitted with a 3-valve head from the 650 then the 4-valve head was introduced in 2008. I also belong to the Deauville UK group and I'd guess that most of those people own the 650 version which was very popular not only in the UK but also in Europe.

American Honda had a Euro NT700V here for eval for at least a year before bringing a small number here as a trial balloon in late-2009. They also had a Trans-Alp 700 for eval but nothing was ever done with that model. For whatever reason, print advertising in the US for the NT was non-existent.

The PC800 was designed specifically for the US and all the other markets were secondary. People called it a scooter on steroids because of the all-encompassing plastic but I had one and loved it - you could wash and dry it in about 20-minutes! Some guys complained that you couldn't see the engine but I always said "I know what an engine looks like so I don't have to see it." Mine was a '97 model I bought new and put 102k miles on it before selling it to a friend who continued to use it as a commuter bike for another 2-years. In spite of all that plastic, it was actually easier to work on then my NT700V.

There are several other members of this group who previously owned PC800s.
    Last edited by DirtFlier; 02-08-2018 at 11:39 AM.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    I believe the 2006 was still fitted with a 3-valve head from the 650 then the 4-valve head was introduced in 2008.
    My 2006 definitely had the 4 valve head and was registered in the month after the release of the 700. I don't believe they changed at all during the production run of the 700.
    Last edited by gbrand42; 02-08-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    Black 2006 NT700VA-6 (Betty)
    Red 2017 VFR800X (Wilma)

My Gallery

I came across this video several months ago. While at the Long Beach Show this last November, I ran into Jon Seidel the American Honda Press Release Manager shown in the below video.

We had a brief discussion regarding the NT700V and his video comment "I think we have a winner in our hands here." I asked him what happened to that optimistic statement and why it did not do well in the US? All he could say to me was that the NT700V is a great bike and the marketing for it was poorly done, more like non-existent. I told him that I bought one a few weeks before the show and I loved it.

My Gallery

Every motorcycle publication at the time had reviews on the NT. Thats how I found out about it.

It was not like Honda did not make it available to the press.

I am not sure what marketing you would have had them do. I have not seen a lot of marketing on any of their motorcycles other than what you see in the motorcycle press.

As was stated early the NT was not designed for the US market and it frankly did not push the right buttons here.

No ones fault. Americans just were not that into it. It happens
    Warren
    2010 NT700V ABS Silver, #0225, "Arcee"
    1977 Yamaha XS650 (Sold)

My Gallery

Here's a link to the full Honda Line-Up available in Japan.

Honda Japan - Full Product Line-Up

Many of these bikes are interesting and got my attention. However, do not expect any of them to make their way over here anytime soon. Even with vast majority of motorcycle manufacturing being done in Japan now.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    The PC800 was designed specifically for the US and all the other markets were secondary. People called it a scooter on steroids because of the all-encompassing plastic but I had one and loved it - you could wash and dry it in about 20-minutes! Some guys complained that you couldn't see the engine but I always said "I know what an engine looks like so I don't have to see it." Mine was a '97 model I bought new and put 102k miles on it before selling it to a friend who continued to use it as a commuter bike for another 2-years. In spite of all that plastic, it was actually easier to work on then my NT700V.

There are several other members of this group who previously owned PC800s.
    I never owned one, but always wanted one. I remember Popular Science's little article about it when it was introduced and I fell in love with the bike as soon as I saw that. I saw my first one at a rest area just north of Wheatland, WY. The guy was on his way to Alaska -- that encounter rekindled my desire to ride a motorcycle, but didn't overcome my wife's objections. When she left me, I had a church member in Ft Morgan who was trying to sell one of the mother-of-pearl ones and I really wanted it, but he wanted $4200 for it. The $2500 '83 Silverwing I bought was closer to my budget. :-)

In 2000, I rode from Cedar Breaks, UT, to Mt Home, AR, with a Swedish AF Colonel and a Virginian and his wife. The 3 guys were all on C10 Kawasaki Concours (although the Swedish one was called a GTR) and the woman was on a PC800. She had no trouble staying with us no matter where or how we were riding. Her only limitation was range. With our big 7.5 gallon tanks, we could ride over 250 miles, even at 75-80mph. She needed gas at around 150 miles. A couple of times we made it till she needed to get her 2nd tank before we needed one.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for the PC.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast