Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Show dealers don't care about NT

Re: Show dealers don't care about NT

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Aw man! Why did you have to give us that link?

http://www.honda.co.jp/400X/

Dave
    LOL!!!!!!
    So I could have a very pleasant half hour drooling over doing road tests of these bikes!
    2010 NT700v, "Spanish Dancer" , 2014 FJR "Red Torpedo"

My Gallery

Kawasaki has increased the displacement on their small Ninja sport bike from 300 - 400CC. Its a twin with an MSRP of $4999 for the non ABS version. I expect this will become a good seller and will leave Honda and Yamaha scrambling to update their 300's

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2018-Ninja-400-ABS
    Warren
    2010 NT700V ABS Silver, #0225, "Arcee"
    1977 Yamaha XS650 (Sold)

Wow, didn't see that one coming. They need to put that 400 in the little Versys-X dual-sport.
    2010 NT700VA silver, purchased new 7/2015.
    Previous rides, Suzuki Burgman 650 super-scooter (2005-2013), Honda Hawk 650 GT (NT650, 2003-2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Kawasaki has increased the displacement on their small Ninja sport bike from 300 - 400CC. Its a twin with an MSRP of $4999 for the non ABS version. I expect this will become a good seller and will leave Honda and Yamaha scrambling to update their 300's

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2018-Ninja-400-ABS
    Bikes like this, I find interesting. Most of us would need a chiropractor once we left the seat after 100 miles. But a college kid wouldnt. I feel that with a change in ergonomics and the option of a real windscreen and some baggage that this would make a great pocket tourer. When you look at the 20K price of a big Ninja, you have to wonder who is buying those and who will buy a nice 400-500 lightweight fun sporty looking but ergonomiclly sane bike.

My Gallery

Even 20 years ago, my seat time on any sport bike was greatly limited by having too much weight on my hands and a stiff neck from still having to look forward with my torso inclined. And forget about doing a "head check" when changing lanes because the chin bar on my helmet always bumped into my shoulder!

ps. By the way, dealers care most about bikes that sell quickly so they can make money, which is why they're in business. They are not in business to promote bikes that were not popular 11 years ago (the NT) when it was introduced.
    Last edited by DirtFlier; 02-22-2018 at 11:53 AM.

My Gallery

I drove for 1 1/2 hours to a dealer that had an NT on his floor when I was looking to purchase one 4 years ago. The NT was not released in Canada, but I was told this dealer had brought it in from the U.S. Now you'd think if they went to that much effort they would know something about the bike. I had 2 salesmen hovering over me smelling a commission, but it was evident real early they were clueless. I knew more than they did, for they new nothing about the inter connected brakes, they looked for 5 minutes for the switch to raise and lower the windshield, and did not know if it had ABS, although the decals were on the bike. I knew if I wanted an NT I would be on my own at that point. I would not purchase from them on principal, and instead I drove 10 hours and bought mine privately.

2018 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    Wow, didn't see that one coming. They need to put that 400 in the little Versys-X dual-sport.
    Hey Hey give me a couple of years before they do that. I just got my Versys 300X a few months ago and just finished Farkling it out. Too soon to trade it in.

SAM_2990.jpg
    Last edited by Chucksklrst; 02-23-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001 NTOC#854
    14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)14 DL650[I] (Wee II) 17 VX300 Versys (Little Gray Bike)
    https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980

Quote Originally Posted by Bab View Post
    I drove for 1 1/2 hours to a dealer that had an NT on his floor when I was looking to purchase one 4 years ago. The NT was not released in Canada, but I was told this dealer had brought it in from the U.S. Now you'd think if they went to that much effort they would know something about the bike. I had 2 salesmen hovering over me smelling a commission, but it was evident real early they were clueless. I knew more than they did, for they new nothing about the inter connected brakes, they looked for 5 minutes for the switch to raise and lower the windshield, and did not know if it had ABS, although the decals were on the bike. I knew if I wanted an NT I would be on my own at that point. I would not purchase from them on principal, and instead I drove 10 hours and bought mine privately.
    I am very impressed at how far you were willing to go for a bike that almost nobody seems to want, and to 'be your own warranty', as it were, on top of that!

My Gallery

I had done my research in back issues of mags., on the web, as well as doing some serious studying here. Reading members' posts and the encouragement I received here convinced me the NT had a success rate I was willing to gamble on. I rode an Ultra glide for 14 years prior, and decided not only was I bored with it, but I wanted a bike that was lighter, les expensive to run (fuel economy), and cheaper to insure (less than 2/3rds the HD). My only complaint is the passenger seat does not compare and really is my wife's complaint. I believe I remedied that this winter by purchasing a used seat pan, and built a seat that incorporated different dimensions, foams, and profiles. It has not been tested as of yet, at least not on the road.

Was I foolish to purchase this bike? Based on the allegiance the riders on this forum show towards the NT no. I believe I purchased a bike that has glided under the radar in the used bike category, and in my case as a "grey import" I have a package that successfully fills a lot of slots, and I haven't looked back. The reason no one wants to buy them is because of the marketing, media, and peer pressure North Americans are subjected to with regards to needing a "real motorcycle". The NT was proven in Europe long before we were aware of them here. Honda in their ultimate wisdom dictated that Canada was not ready for the NT. I have stated before I will make my own mind up as to what I want, and my image does not need to include fashion accessories flashing "H-D", badges, and ink. I buy bikes to ride.

My Gallery

Bab, sounds to me like you and the NT will be a fit. IMNSHO, it's a great bike, no matter how underrated. Enjoy!
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

+ New Posts
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123