Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New dude

(Threadstarter)

My Gallery

Re: New dude

[QUOTE=Sojourner The stock seat is unusually comfortable[/QUOTE]

Thank you, this was my next question.
    My Shadow seat is terrible, 100 miles seat time fills like a million.

My Gallery

The goldwing is the only bike I could ever ride off the showroom floor and go 1,000 miles and not feel like I needed to be in the hospital. I pretty much have had to go some type of custom or aftermarket seat with all my other bikes. Now, on the Super Tenere I have a Laam seat. I know nothing about the stock NT seat so I'm sorry I can't help there.
    Don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff"

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    I know nothing about the stock NT seat so I'm sorry I can't help there.
    I do know about this. Sojourner is dead on saying the stock seat is comfortable, I have not had any issues with it. Unlike the stock seats on my past ST1300 and current NC700X. Your backside starts hurting after 15-20 minutes of riding on either of these bikes. I had to buy Corbin seats for both them. I was fortinate enough to find them used at a fractaction of the cost.

This is not the case with the seat on the NT700V. I was surprised that Honda got that seat right, as they have a bad reputation of making uncomfortable seats.
    Last edited by Brillot2000; 02-12-2018 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Typo
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie, 2013 NC700X - NaNCy, & 1987 XL600R - Megas

My Gallery

Hi, again! Glad you're not a spammer.

I disagree a little bit with those who praise the NT's saddle. It's OK for a "normal" day, whatever that is. I rode with a stock saddle for something like 12,000 miles, and did one SaddleSore 1000 IBA certificate ride (as a matter of fact, that ride was the first IBA ride ever done in the whole Western Hemisphere on an NT) with it. I found that during that ride, I had a couple of periods of sore bun that lasted for 45-minutes to an hour. Later that first year I did a 4K trip from Colorado to Wisconsin to Michigan, and then on around Lake Superior before coming home. Again, most of the time I was comfortable but on 500+ mile days, I wanted something a bit better. So, that fall, I bought a spare saddle from a NT-Owner's List member and sent it too Russell to have a DayLong saddle made. I'd had one on my two '99 Kawasaki Concours and knew how comfortable they were. Now, I've had a Russell on the NT for about 123,000 miles and I've never had any buttockle discomfort. Russells aren't cheap, but, IMNSHO, they're worth it if you're going to be doing really long rides. I've done 3 or 4 SS1Ks and one BunBurner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours on mine. Other things have gotten miserable, but never my rear end.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery

I'm happy to see your "real" as well!

The Corbin for the NT was the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had the displeasure of sitting on. I bought one very lightly used, off the forum, and quickly resold it to another forum member. A piece of 2"X10" wood covered with cheap vinyl would have been preferable... If you go with a Corbin they use their own design seat pan, you'll lose a lot of the under seat storage and gain weight.

The funny part is the Corbin(s) on my FJ1200 are very comfortable...
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
    The Corbin for the NT was the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had the displeasure of sitting on.
    Not every butt is created equally. No issues with my Corbin on my NC700X in the 3 years I had it. I can spend all day on that bike if I had too. Buying a used one you are taking a risk it has already been formed to someone else's butt cheecks.

I should probably clarify 'unusually comfortable'. I probably should have worded it: "unusually comfortable for a stock seat." I think there would have been more agreement with that wording. Yes, after 250+ miles, you don't feel like you've been in your recliner, and custom seats will likely serve you better at those distances.

I don't know how often it gets discussed, but even your undies make a big difference. Synthetic, synthetic, synthetic. I pair of silky Patagonia boxers will set you back as much as an average pair of pants, but they're worth it. Lots of other options out there, find your fit.

And as mentioned, butts differ, so regarding the seat, 'your mileage may vary'..... That said, some stock seats are better than others. Just in a showroom, I felt the BMW G650GS (single-cylinder) to be a comfy seat. The F650/700/800 was known as notoriously uncomfortable, and is one of the first upgrades most 2-cyl. GS folks upgrade.
    2010 NT700VA silver, purchased new 7/2015.
    Previous rides, Suzuki Burgman 650 super-scooter (2005-2013), Honda Hawk 650 GT (NT650, 2003-2005)

My Gallery

I'm happy with the stock seat, even on all day rides. I do use a sheepskin pad in the summer and that is very comfortable and keeps me from sweating so much
    2010 NT700V
    1982 GL500I - Gone but not forgotten

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12