Honda 08P70-MEW-100 Wind Deflector Set

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Hello All,

I installed a set of the Honda 08P70-MEW-100 Wind Deflector Set onto NaTalie last night. The installation took me about 10 minutes and it was straightforward, which I did not need the installation instructions to do so. I put these on before heading into the house to go to bed.

The last couple of mornings have been cold to So Cal standards, in the 40's. This morning it was 38° when I left the house to head to work. Once I was out on the highway, I felt around to feel the changes in the airflow since the installation of these deflectors. I noticed a significant change in the amount of air that was directed at my hands, there had to be at least or perhaps more than 80% reduction in the airflow to this area. This certainly helped this morning and let the heated grip not to labor as much to keep my hands warm.

I would definitely recommend these to anyone seeking to reduce the airflow to this area and improving the weather protection of their bike. :biggrin: :bannana:

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I really like my wind deflectors. By the way minus 6 @ 10 am today.
Stay warm, ride safe and arrive alive.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Here in Greeley, we were at -6F at 6AM...and we got 6" of snow last night on top of a thin layer of ice. No riding for a while longer.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The Honda Wind Deflectors appear more stylish than functional and come with a mighty price. Amazingly they work very well and probably much better than most or all of the bolt-on hand guards. Compared to more macho hand guards (AKA: Bark Busters), they don't keep as much cold off the hands but do reduce the level of wind noise at the helmet - at least they did for me. :)

I agree that they work surprisingly well. Unfortunately, there's only a small sweet spot. When I raised the bars a little, some of their virtue was lost.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
When I raised the bars a little, some of their virtue was lost.
Hmmm... I never noticed that after I added bar risers. Granted, I added the bar risers pretty early in my ownership of the NT -- probably within the first month or two.

My "theory" about the effectiveness of the Honda OEM wind deflectors is that they spent some money and time in the corporate wind tunnel in between work on the HondaJet. If you've ever studied aerodynamics, you can see that the wind deflectors work in similar ways to an aircraft's leading edge slots or slats.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have the wind deflectors installed. I also have hand guards installed. I have electric hand grips and electric gloves and my hands still get cold when commuting in the winter. I guess there are somethings motorcyclists just are not susposed to do.

Tonydtiger1971

Does anyone have dimensions on the wind deflectors? Could they be recreated using a 3D printer for less? I do believe they wouldn't be hard to model up in Solidworks or Inventor.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Does anyone have dimensions on the wind deflectors? Could they be recreated using a 3D printer for less? I do believe they wouldn't be hard to model up in Solidworks or Inventor.
Quite honestly it would be easier to have them 3D scanned to get a usable 3D model. There are services out there that will 3D scan items for Reverse Engineering.

If you are investing in buy a pair to have them scanned, why do not use those yourself? I am just saying.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
They have a complex shape not easy to measure with any accuracy.

Unless you're going to make a bunch of them and sell them, it's probably not worth the trouble to have them made on a 3-D printer. And we all know the popularity of the NT, so sales could be dismal - you're making parts for an unpopular bike that went out of production 8 years ago!

And as Brilliot said, just buy a set, slap them on, and be done with it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The Oxford hand covers Rand soper mentioned (back in 2016) are no longer available, according to Amazon. But a good alternative is Hippo Hands (www.hippohands.com). I've never used them, but a friend of mine puts them on his ST every winter and swears his hands never get cold.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
The Oxford hand covers Rand soper mentioned (back in 2016) are no longer available, according to Amazon. But a good alternative is Hippo Hands (www.hippohands.com). I've never used them, but a friend of mine puts them on his ST every winter and swears his hands never get cold.
My only concern is the hands are inside and on the handle grips, so in case of emergency how quickly do they get out and not get entangled inside. Can you check with your friend on his experience and post details.

I too am looking at them as most riding gloves are not touch friendly and this will allow riding with normal running thermal gloves.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I had a pair of ATV hand covers like the Hippo Hands but did not like them as I felt they were too confining. Taking your hands out and putting them back in while you are riding is a little challenging.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My friend Jim says that the Hippo Hands were rigid enough and the opening was wide enough that he never had trouble, either getting hands in or out of them. He'd put them as soon as the temperatures in the morning got down below 50F and they'd stay on all winter. He also wore heated gloves, socks, jacket, and pants, so he rode all through the winter. We'd meet in Limon once a month, 86 miles from my house in Fort Morgan, and 92 miles from his house in the Black Forest north of Colorado Springs. I rode in my 'Stitch with a heated jacket over my LD Comfort stuff and my Harley Gore-Tex gloves with my heated grips. Jim was never quite as cold as I was!

While I was still riding my Concours, I bought some ATV handcovers similar to the Hippo Hands and tried them. They would not have worked well at all. I never rode Jim's ST with his Hippo Hands, but I did get on it and stick my hands in them. They were much better than the ATV covers I'd bought from and returned to Cabella's. I thought several times about buying Hippo Hands, but the Connie's mirrors gave me pretty good protection from the wind and I just never got around to it.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I have an NOS set of the now rare OEM Honda wind deflectors still in the box with instructions. Anyone interested in purchasing??

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I have an NOS set of the now rare OEM Honda wind deflectors still in the box with instructions. Anyone interested in purchasing??
Might post in for sale section too. A separate for sale might get better results

Top Bottom