my nt was stolen!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I probably had the only NT ever stolen:( I work on a university campus near Sacramento. I think i left the key in the saddle bag lock. Gone. No theft insurance. Bummer.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Did you report it to both campus and local police? Probably a student took it for a joy ride.

On the bright side is that if they stoled it for parts, will there's only a small market here in the US for them. They will not be getting the money quickly for it.

I hope they find it nearby. The culprit will quickly find out it is not a sports bike capable of going over 150 MPH and will probably dump it in a public location.

I made a shorter key specifically for the bags lock. That way if I left it on the bike, they cannot use it start it.

I wish you a tremendous amount of luck with locating your bike. :please1:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
hope they find it, yeah, its not a hot topic bike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It may not be the first NT ever stolen, but it's sure the first one we've ever heard about on the Forum. I hope you get it back!

Bike
Bonneville T120
Sorry to hear of you loss. Just an opportunity theft. The key was there, just too easy to pass up.

I left the the key in the ignition many times when I taught at the University of Maine. No takers.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Thanks all! That was my first street bike and i enjoyed the heck out of it for 5 years. While not perfect, it was a great bike! The thief either had a helmet or yuge cajones to ride around with no helmet and be stopped by any cop they passed. It does burn a little extra...if it was stolen id be a victim. If you leave the key in the bike...you're a dumarse:redface: Thanks to all the knowledge, experience, and write ups on this forum! If i get it back i will update!

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
I once (accidently) left the key in the switch of a BMW R1100RT, parked on Duvall St. in Key West, Fla. I had been gone for over 3 hours and as I was returning and reaching in my pocket for my keys, they were not there. Imagine my surprise to find the key in the switch and the bike still there. Pure luck!!!

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I almost never take my key out of the NT or my 84 R100RT. Lazy I guess perhaps, the RT the key is very hard to see as it lay on its side. The NT I have such a hard time getting key in I only take out at motels at night in some areas. I don't use the key to open bags, I gone to a cam lock system, so won't be showing there. I do almost always us a half cover at night on both bikes. I think a H-D is a target, mine are too old to be of much value to a thief.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I don't think a good thief would steal an NT. They would already know they'd have a hard time converting it to much cash.
A novice thief might like the looks of it (possibly mistake it for a BMW) and then try to ditch it when they discovered they couldn't sell it for much.
But as noted, an opportunist who sees the key in the ignition, . . . . . Well who knows what might happen.

Hope you get it back OK "silverstreak",

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Boy, I'm glad mine's never been stolen. I almost always leave my keys in the ignition (although i do remove them at night when I'm on the road). My theory has always been that the NT is theft-proof because it's not very desirable to anyone who's not one of us.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I don't think a good thief would steal an NT. They would already know they'd have a hard time converting it to much cash.
A novice thief might like the looks of it (possibly mistake it for a BMW) and then try to ditch it when they discovered they couldn't sell it for much.
But as noted, an opportunist who sees the key in the ignition, . . . . . Well who knows what might happen.

Hope you get it back OK "silverstreak",
I am reminded of O'Henry's "The Ransom of Red Chief" I think it was an opertunist. Spokane has one of the highest rates of car thefts in the known universe. They steal 1990-2004 Hondas and Subarus that they can use shaved keys in. Many are used as undocumented pharmasutical salesperson's delivery vehicles. The bike may well end up found in a woods or ditch but who knows? "People" here break into cars if there is only a handful of change in sight.... :(

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
After four months, I got a call from Sac Police saying that my bike had been found and was at a tow yard 15 miles from home. I picked it up with hardly a scratch on it! Many strange things tho:
1. Trip odo had about 500 miles. Based on oil change record, probably was ridden 400-1000miles.
2. Bike was reasonably clean, i think stored inside and not sitting long before picked up by police. It did have a couple spider nests.
3. No license plate...two big velcro pads in its place.
4. All the junk in the cowl pocket still there...mints, chap stick, sun screen, little 303 bottle, wipes.
5. Pannier liner bag there with oem helmet lock cables and SAE-coax adapter inside.
6. Tool bag in baguette tunnel. Not totally sure what was in there, but looks mostly there.
7. Battery seems strong, started easy.

So, $320 to get it out of tow yard and lost license plate, key, parking pass, superlight backpack, leatherman tool, flashlight, usb cable, and Aerostich gloves. I guess the low down thief had a little conscience?

After four months, it was a blast riding home...in fact, i rode it like it didnt have a licence plate:rofl1:

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Glad you got it back mostly unharmed. Quite the experience you had. Even after getting it back not a lot of info on what all occurred while MIA. Did the police have any more info?

Brad

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Glad you got it back and thanks for letting us know. I guess we have one of the most unique bikes in the motorcycle world—a great bike no one in America wants except a few of us bike coniseurs. I suppose we could cancel our theft insurance since no one will steal them and if they do, they’ll give it back.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Glad to hear that you got your bike back in good condition.

You might want to add some additional security to the bike around the university. You might want to consider using some sort of lock on one of the wheels, just in case the thief still has the key to the bike.

[video=youtube;jQHFK4WLBl0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHFK4WLBl0[/video]

You might want to consider one these and install it on the rear wheel, Oxford Boss Alarm Disc and Chain Lock.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Did they catch the thief or did they just find the bike abandoned?

Mike

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I have to request a police report, but the tow place said that their paperwork did not indicate an arrest. Oh yeah, the steering was locked on the bike as well:confused:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
After four months, I got a call from Sac Police saying that my bike had been found and was at a tow yard 15 miles from home. I picked it up with hardly a scratch on it! Many strange things tho:
1. Trip odo had about 500 miles. Based on oil change record, probably was ridden 400-1000miles.
2. Bike was reasonably clean, i think stored inside and not sitting long before picked up by police. It did have a couple spider nests.
3. No license plate...two big velcro pads in its place.
4. All the junk in the cowl pocket still there...mints, chap stick, sun screen, little 303 bottle, wipes.
5. Pannier liner bag there with oem helmet lock cables and SAE-coax adapter inside.
6. Tool bag in baguette tunnel. Not totally sure what was in there, but looks mostly there.
7. Battery seems strong, started easy.

So, $320 to get it out of tow yard and lost license plate, key, parking pass, superlight backpack, leatherman tool, flashlight, usb cable, and Aerostich gloves. I guess the low down thief had a little conscience?

After four months, it was a blast riding home...in fact, i rode it like it didnt have a licence plate:rofl1:
Did I miss something? Where was it towed from? It is clear that he had another plate on the bike to ride it, hence the velcro. Or maybe a fake temp plate. Does your area LEO use license plate readers?
The "undocumented motorcycle borrower" will likely never be caught and you just learned a life lesson. A U lock is good but many complain about false alarms from those which are so equiped.

Top Bottom