Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Polished Exhaust

My Gallery

Re: Polished Exhaust

i just finished polishing my exhaust pipes.... 5 minute job.... as good as new! this is how: barkeepers friend powder form, stainless steel wool cleaning pads from dollar store.... wet cleaning pads with water, apply powder to pads, rub pipes briskly, wipe clean with damp cloth, wipe with dry cloth.... truly as good as new!! i do not know how long they will stay that way. but i will probably wipe the pipes each time i clean my bike, it is soo easy!

› Site Search for: Polished Exhaust

My Gallery

[...I wonder what effect of salt air (My NT was in CA, & now Seattle) may have, if any, in this case...] Since it is recommended by people on the NT-UK list, I'd think ACF50 would hold up in an environment with salt air. In the UK, they have corrosion problems on Honda bolts that are highly-uncommon in the US and I have to believe it's related to all their islands being surrounded by the sea!

My Gallery

While I am thinking about it there is some hope. I have gone over mine with SemiChrome and 2000grit black sandpaper a couple of times. This seems to have given the pipes a better resistence to the color change and corrosion. Not gone but better.

My Gallery

Ok. So you guys have had enough time to "test" your methods. What are the results? What worked and what did not?

ACF-50? is it worth it?
    Barkeepers friend powder, stainless steel wool?
    Simichrome Polish?
    Blue Away?

Any other ideas? How long did the "shine" last? What type of maintenance have you been doing to maintain your results?

I would like to see some shine on my pipes and with all the choices mentioned, I am not sure which way to go.

Michael
    2010 Honda NT700V #1188
    AMA: www.americanmotorcyclist.com MSTA: www.sporttouring.us (California: http://www.calmsta.org/index.htm)

My Gallery

still using barkeepers friend and stainless steel wool pads! maybe once per month and i commute every day if the roads are dry. pipes look new.... i see no reason to use anything else... happy so far (3600 miles on odometer).... hope you have same results!

My Gallery

What I usually do is use very fine steel wool and Mothers metal polish (similar to Semichrome) After a few minutes of rubbing you see the pipe turn silver. Buff afterward with the same metal polish and an old tee shirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Gallery

Scotch Brite and metal polish, a simple 5 minute job for the brushed steel finish.

My Gallery

I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. It was the cheapest thing at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. I didn't think of using it with a Scotch Brite pad, but will try that next time. It took the gunk from 18 months of neglect and made the pipes somewhat respectable again.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT, Ebenezer - 2011 Honda NT700V (Gone, but not forgotten!)
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234