[Review] MoTrax Inflate Aid Valve Access Tool

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The valve stems on the NT can be a real PITA to access to check your tire pressure and add air. While wandering around in Cycle Gear today I found a cool little adapter tool that makes it a lot easier.

The MoTrax Inflate Aid Valve Access Tool allows you to connect the adapter to the wheels valve stem then check your pressure and add air remotely via the hose mounted Schrader valve. Now if you are at a gas station with a straight truck style air chuck you can still add air. It is small enough that it fits in my tire repair kit and for an in-store special price of $9.99 it is well worth the money in my opinion...

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That looks like something worth having. I've been changing my valve stems to metal 45-degree ones.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Interesting tool. I may order one. I use and old air pump that has the type of valve stem connection that the tool has. Small pumps with that connector are hard to find.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
After I'd had my Concours a year or two, the only filling station in town that had an air chuck that I could get on the OEM straight rear (rubber) tire stem went to an air-for-quarters system with a chuck that wouldn't fit.

Someone told me that BMW dealers had a little brass 90-degree stem that screwed onto the OEM stem. Sure 'nuff, they did, and it only cost $9.95. I bought one and was a happy camper for about 15 months and 20-25,000 miles.

Then one afternoon I pulled onto I-76, got comfortable at 75mph, and engaged my Vista-Cruise throttle lock. As I took my hand off the throttle, there was a strange "shake" in the handlebars. I put my hand back on the throttle and blammmm! I was in a full-blown tank-slapper. I rolled off the throttle, pulled in the clutch, and was pretty sure I wasn going to be thrown off the bike before I managed to get down to 30mph and then stopped.

I couldn't get the bike to balance on the side-stand until I took off both panniers and my trunk and then it would just barely sit there. I dug out my tire repair stuff and started rolling the bike looking for some explanation of the tire's sudden deflation. Didn't see anything in the tire, so I put the pump on the stem, turned it on and then realized that the stem itself had torn. The weight of that little brass 90-degree stem (probably less than an ounce) had been enough to flex the rubber stem so that it broke right at the rim on the side of the 90-degree bend.

It took Moto-Tow about two hours to get there, during which time, not one of the 100-150 motorcycle that went by even acted as if they saw me. Since then, metal 45- or 60- or 90-degree stems that are firmly attached to the rim have been somethhng I've added right away.

I've never had one of them fail. I did have one that the valve came unscrewed, but I didn't realize that was my problem until after I got back from driving 3,000 miles I had really wanted to ride.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
When I went by Cycle Gear earlier this afternoon they had the MoTrax Inflate Aid Valve Access Tool on "Final Close Out" for $4.99. Better hurry if you want one...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have one of those "Slime" 12V pumps that I carry in my pannier. I changed the fuse in my SAE plug that is wired directly to the battery. When I need to add air, I clip the hose to the valve, plug into the SAE plug, start the engine and proceed to pump. I have one of those nifty little pumps for both of our cages and use the SAE to Cigarette lighter plug adapter that comes with the pump--all packed in a neat semi-hard zippered case.

I got a stranded H-D rider going with my Stop and Go Tire Plug Kit and this slick little pump. He had the misfortune of picking up a roofing nail.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I have one of those "Slime" 12V pumps that I carry in my pannier. I changed the fuse in my SAE plug that is wired directly to the battery. When I need to add air, I clip the hose to the valve, plug into the SAE plug, start the engine and proceed to pump. I have one of those nifty little pumps for both of our cages and use the SAE to Cigarette lighter plug adapter that comes with the pump--all packed in a neat semi-hard zippered case.

I got a stranded H-D rider going with my Stop and Go Tire Plug Kit and this slick little pump. He had the misfortune of picking up a roofing nail.
You've got the Good Samaratin award on this forum for this act and the work with shelters, etc. Thanks for the good example, expecially at this time of year. blessings.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Herb, I got that H-D squared away when I was riding my screaming green Kawasaki EX250R. The system worked so well that I did the same thing to the NT. That H-D rider was in total shock--especially since I was in full gear as always. I still chuckle when I think about it. All he could say was "Wow,man!"

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Relatively soon after my initial Review of the Motrax inflation tool they disappeared from the store shelves...for good it appears. While I was visiting my Harley dealer I found something "New" that will allow you to reach the air valve stem fairly easily. The Valve Stem Extension, Harley Davidson PN 42300009 for $9.95 (MSRP) is a extension hose to connect to your valve stem. It is not as nice as the Motrax unit as it does not have a "snap on" 90 degree fitting and it screws on to the valve stem. But it is better than nothing when trying to adjust air pressure using a service station air chuck especially around the front disc brakes. And for $10 it is not a typical outrageously priced Hundred Dollar accessory....:smile:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I solved the problem by switching to metal valve stems with 90-degree angle head. Also ended the worry of the rubber valve stem cracking near the rim which can happen with age/miles.

bicyclist

I solved the problem by switching to metal valve stems with 90-degree angle head. Also ended the worry of the rubber valve stem cracking near the rim which can happen with age/miles.
I did the same. Very easy to do. I recommend ordering a set to have handy for the next tire change.

Top Bottom