[Review] Bestem Saddlebag Liners

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I haven't weighed my pannier contents, but I'd be amazed if they're under 11 pounds very often (any more than the top-box stays under 22 pounds!). I have had a few latch issues, but you can get those without carrying much of anything. I'm paying more attention to how I close the lids.

My previous bike was a Kawasaki Concours (the classic C-10 Connie) and they had a similar limit. I consistently overloaded those panniers and appreciated their simple and robust latches. The big problem with the Connie bags was that the "antler," the bracket that they attached to, was made out of a very non-ductile aluminum casting that broke easily and regularly with any kind of impact from drops or deer strikes. DAMHIK.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
In my opinion, as long as you dont put any undue stress on the hinges and latches, what's the harm?
I doubt anyone stays under those limits
Up to a point, one can overload. Certainly I do. But done to the extreme you can induce handling problems. This has happened with police versions of various bikes, for example when too much equipment gets installed on the bike.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The NT does a good job of carrying the kinds of loads I've carried. I would guess that I'm carrying 30 pounds of camping gear, 15-20 pounds in the left pannier, 15-20 pounds in the right pannier, and about 25 pounds in the top-box. Plus, maybe 5-6 pounds in the tank bag and 280 pounds of rider and protective gear. I have ridden fairly rapidly in twisties with loads like that, in wind, rain, (and snow), and at speeds of 80+ on interstates. My NT has handled impeccably.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Okay - one more question for this thread.

I have already ordered the larger Deauville lids - and am about to order the Bestem bags for my new 2010 NT. Of course, I'm also adding a big Givi E55 top case. I don't like to have to leave "stuff" at home. :)

BUT - being new to having panniers on a bike, I wonder about the admonition by Honda to only carry eleven pounds in each pannier. Some of you guys sound as thought you carry a lot of weight in your panniers.

Any problems with weight?
Here is a really good thread about the panniers, latches, and fixes/solutions for dealing with the problem you might want to review.

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?4812-Broken-saddlebag-lid-latch

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I have owned the Besteem bag liners for a few years now with both the small and large lids on the bike. http://www.bestemusa.com/Honda-NT700-Deauville-Saddlebag-Sideliners-Side-Case-Trunk-Liners-Bags-Black_p_1000.html I love the way they work. They expand with a zippered relief on both sides with the right side a shade smaller than the left. Nice to be able to pull them out and carry it all to your accommodation for the evening. I take a backpack with me to work and was sticking it into the left bag for a while. Now it just gets plonked into the topcase. Nice to have a place on the bike to stash riding gear in nice weather on the bike. Wet and cold I bring it all inside to dry and warm...

Traveling, even just for a few days the bag liners are well worth the bucks.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I've had the Honda liners for about 3 years. I bought mine 2nd hand off a guy in the UK. They are brilliant as Karl has said. I also have the Honda Topbox liner which I've had for 4 years and that is excellent too. All are expandable which is ideal for the Big lids, though you have to put in that last few items into the right hand one while it is in the pannier.

I don't use them for work, just when travelling or on holiday. For work I use a rucksack which goes into the Topbox. I also have smaller ones for the panniers.

My set came this week. Surprised at the excellent quality. Compared to the other accessories I have purchased for the NT very inexpensive $64 and make the panniers actually useful.

I took Peaches out for a ride yesterday for the first time in six months, since I did the complete redesign of the saddlebag latches, and then replaced both fork seals. I became annoyed, as I was reminded once again of how prone the saddlebag liners are to tipping outward when you open the saddlebag Lids. Especially the left one, when the bike is on the side stand. Then I remembered I have these 3M command strips, made of black metal. Here are some pictures of what I have done to eliminate the problem of the bags wanting to tip out of the saddlebags when you open the lids. Just reach in and attach the top handle of the saddlebag liner to the hook, and the liner will not fall outward. You want to remove the liner? Just push inward a little bit on the handle of the liner and pop it down and out!
20171002_133253.jpg20171002_133312.jpg
20171002_133333.jpg

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Oops! Sorry 'bout that. I guess I was reading "DV8" as "Dave. Have others called you "Dave" too or is it just me?

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
I see too many Illinois vanity plates...I read it as "Deviate"...

Brilliant idea, BTW!

Bike
2010 NT700V
Where does one obtain the expanded lids for the saddle bads? I'm on a farkle frezy.
David Silver Spares has the large lids. When you call them they will answer in the UK, but will ship from their warehouse in Hanover, Pa. I live a little over an hour drive from Hanover, and picked mine up. I also got a tour of the warehouse, they have a large stock of Japanese motorcycle parts.

PS, I got a pair of bag liners on an eBay auction for $20.00 including shipping, I was lucky! BB

Top Bottom