[Review] Bestem Saddlebag Liners

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Igo, Rick's correct we do have the same boot. I bought mine at a place called "Road Rider" in San Jose when I was up in the Bay Area for a visit. With my short legs I did a lot of slipping and sliding at first cuz I just wore my old Ropers like I had always done on the Silverado. Next I started wearing my hiking boots and they were probably the best before I bought the MC boots. :cool:

Igo

About the bag liners, about what percentage of the interior space of the stock panniers would you say the these bag liners occupy? I ask because I can see how a ruggedly constructed liner bag in the small panniers might take up allot of the available space if they are not very pliable and can't properly expend to fill available space.
Rick and I were doing work on our bikes yesterday and I brought special tools along for the ride afterwords just in case. All this little stuff kept finding its way into the hinges of the panniers. That's got to be remedied.

Igo

No, it was mean.:wink:

I'm ready to take on the desert summers ANYTIME!!!!!! If only we didn't have a blasted pension keeping us here...:frown:
How long do you have? Are you really making concrete plans to move to the desert? I have ESP (kidding) that I can tell how you feel about this. I spent 12 years dreaming and sceaming. You wouldn't beleive how I made it finally happen. If we know each other when your day comes and you choose Las Vegas you and yours will be properly introduced I cam assure you.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I Just called Bestem to order their NT700 Saddle bag liners. They said they are out and it won't be untill sometime in April before they get any in. Any body have a set for sale or know of a place that might have them?

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Try MC Larry. He had 'em a while back.

If you can't wait, try David Silver Spares or Honda of Bournemouth in the UK. That's where I got mine before I knew the Bestems expanded to fit the big lids.

CoolNT

Looks like the ebay guy is also out. I was thinking about it but now, I guess, I'll have to wait as well.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Call MCL... They were out of stock / back ordered and then they recieved a shipment last month. I know they did have them, that is how I ended up with the second set I sold...

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
I called today to Bestem to order a set and they said they did not expect any new inventory for two months.

Somehow I will manage to get by.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If you're having trouble getting them and REALLY "need" 'em, go to David Silver and order them. They'll sure be more expensive than Bestem, but, like we've said before: "It's only money!"

Igo

I have something to add too. They waste about 30% of the real estate inside the pannier. Their exterior dimensions are way smaller than the panniers interior dimensions.

elizilla

I've been considering making some softer bags that fit the shape of the panniers. I'd have to pack them carefully so they don't bulge in the wrong spots, but soft bags without a bunch of stiffeners and piping and whatnot, wouldn't waste so much space and shouldn't be too complex to make.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA

Igo

I've been considering making some softer bags that fit the shape of the panniers. I'd have to pack them carefully so they don't bulge in the wrong spots, but soft bags without a bunch of stiffeners and piping and whatnot, wouldn't waste so much space and shouldn't be too complex to make.
Before I bought these I asked the forum if the handles or stays were so stiff that the bags would not conform to the pannier walls. But if they were too limp then I might as well suff kitchen trash bags in the panniers. Rick's idea is really just fine. I use one of the liners for just such things, small stuff that would be a mess to contain otherwise. But I have a second one that is still in the UPS box.

Igo

30%?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj181/rothkarl/P2150003.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj181/rothkarl/P2150004.jpg
This bag is empty, will expand for the larger lids, not sure how you would make it fit tighter.
I stuff a laptop bag without a laptop in it in there going to work. I can overfill that with ease. The tapered front reduces what you can put in there. A netbook will work in that bag.
Hope that helps
You would make it fit tighter by making it flex some. In your picture I see 3/4 inch or so on most sides other than the bottom. That outer curumference of space is about 350% greater than the next inner 3/4 inch on the same faces. I'd say 30% of the space wasted at least.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've got my tool roll and extra gloves, Chase-Harper Bungee Buddy (thanks to Wayne, I now know what it's called), my ROK straps, and one or two other things in the unexpanded bag liner in the right pannier. All that's in my left pannier is my folding cane (which I havent' needed to use since last June). When I travel, I put the expanded bag liner with my clothes in there. The CooCase holds my netbook in its case (along with the charger and mouse), and my $10 Walmart expandable duffel with clothes for 3-4 days and my shaving stuff. My Kindle and my Thermos also go in the CooCase. My wine lays very nicely on top of the bag liner in the left pannier.

Igo

So, you use an un-expanded bag liner in wide pannier lids. Obviously you use that the extra space in another way? or you don't need the space and this is just the way things work out for you when you pack?

Top Bottom