Luggage rack for the Honda Top Box

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have been trying to find a rack to put on top of the Honda Top Box to carry a light sleeping pad, etc. I know it would not be good to put heavy stuff up that high on the top box, but something bulky but light might work.

Anyone ever see anything that would work? Would the Goldwing rack work, maybe?

Appreciate anyone's answer on this....

freezingalaskan

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hey, Freezin', I'd guess that the rack that goes on Givi trunks like the Maxia or the V-46 would work just fine on the Honda box. Givi makes Honda's trunk and there doesn't look like that much difference to me.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Freezin,
You might want to check out the Dennis Kirk Catalog. Lots of good stuff.

OP
OP
freezingalaskan
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanks guys,
I ended up ordering the rack for the Givi V-46 top box to see if that works. Ordered from Twisted Throttle at $68 plus shipping.
Should receive it later this week.

freezingalaskan

OP
OP
freezingalaskan
Bike
2010 Red NT700
So, I received the rack and installed it last night. This could have been an easy install, and should have been, if I had just used my brain a bit more before starting the work.

I have attached three images (I hope), and on the last you see a poorly drawn arrow in yellow. That is to show the importance of drilling your four holes with the right "trajectory" for the rack and the screws....
I drilled straight down from the top of the lid, and ended up having to re-insert the drill bit and work it sideways a bit. You can't see anything wrong the way I did it, but the holes are a bit bigger than they need to be. In the end, it is all covered by the rubber
seals between the rack and the lid.

The process was as follows. I first located the best position for the rack. Then I put the included template down and confirmed that I had the place of the holes evenly distanced from various check points on the lid. Basically, getting it straight on there....
Then I took a small drill bit for pilot holes. Then I took a 1/4 inch drill bit (instructions call for 6.5mm bit) and drilled the final mounting holes (this is where I should have drilled in an angle, and not straight down).
Finally, I just placed the rack on the lid, entered the screws from inside the lid, up through it and into the attachment points of the rack. Had I done this whole process right, it is truly about a 5-8 minute job if you are not hasty with your work.

The rack does not add any beauty to the bike in my opinion, but adds a bit of practical space for a light tent and sleeping pad or two. I paid $68 for the rack at Twisted Throttle and it is the Givi E107 Top Luggage Rack for V46 Luggage Case that I bought.

Sorry about the poor pictures, messy garage and dark, but they may give you an idea what it looks like if you are considering this rack.

freezingalaskan

Attachments

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Freezing...Thanks for the tips and pics. Oddly enough, I have been contiplating doing the same thing with my Honda Box. I appreciate seeing what you did.
Len

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Drider has a rack on his top box in the photo gallery perhaps you could ask him how he did it...

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Yes, thanks for tuis post. I had a Givi rack on on a 52 L givii case on my recent Euro trip and found it very useful. I'll be ordering one for my 46L Givi. Looks good.

Top Bottom