2nd Nat'l NT Rally - Jul 12-15, 2012 - Spearfish, SD

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If you are looking for campgrounds check out epgSoft's Campground Map... They are same folks we use to make the States Visited maps in our signatures...

Edit: Woodalls is another good source. You may want to use several sources, I never found any "one" source that listed them all when I had my RV...

Last edited:

Nicole

Thanks for the information! Now to get the vacation approved and get the farkles done (if i don't want to stay in hotels) ....

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I am still trying to clear up the time I'll need... If I go "roughing it" will be a hotel without room service...

I am trying to come up with a route that will provide me a different ride home so I can see more of the country. So far I have some up with this route as a tentative "loop".... Kind of a "middle to middle" instead of a "coast to coast" run...:)

Nicole

I am actually gonna visit family in bridge city Texas (near Beaumont) on the way home form the event. Its funny I am gonna have to have 4k check before and after this trip! I LOVE IT!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Its funny I am gonna have to have 4k check before and after this trip!

Nicole, if you just want to do a 4K check, you sure can. But the Honda-recommended oil/filter change and valve check interval is 8,000 miles. And my experience has been that if you're putting on highway miles every day, you can stretch that quite a bit without any major issues.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I agree with Phil, but if I think the 4000 mile oil and filter change is not a bad idea and could be done while in Spearfish All one would ned to do is bring the oil and a filter and crush washer along, or at least the filter and then get the oil on way into rally. I am prety sure there will be more than one of us arround with a filter wrench, and a box end or socket etc for the drain plug. personaly I always have that much with me plus the other odds and ends, just in case I need something. I will be leaving home with fresh oil ec, but I am sure I will do a change somewhere in route before I get back home.
Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
OK, you guys go ahead and change your oil. I won't do that until at least 8K miles. I'm a believer in good oil in the engine being cheap insurance, but I'm also convinced that mother Honda wouldn't tell us we could go 8K if they had any doubt at all. I don't think the NT engine is being very stressed, even with 80mph freeway cruising speeds. I'm comfortable with the 8K interval and wouldn't stress over stretching that to 10 or even 12K if those were all highway miles. Just me. Not prescribing for anybody else.

Eldon, I'm glad I hadn't made reservations for our room any earlier, but I'll get that done in the next couple of weeks.

taldric

Let me know what hotel you decide to stay in. I'll stay at the same place since I haven't made any reservations yet.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Let me know what hotel you decide to stay in. I'll stay at the same place since I haven't made any reservations yet.
I'll be trying to make some calls today.. last year the Days Inn was the place to be for the Hotel'ers.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Just confirmed hotel rates

Days Inn
(605) 642-7101
Group rate mention 'STOWNERS Group'
$99.00+tax/night (12th thru 15th)

Like I said, not a cheap area for hotels due to all the attractions and one reason so many do camp.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil,

Check your email, no problem, I just confirmed aggreement.
Eldon

OK, you guys go ahead and change your oil. I won't do that until at least 8K miles. I'm a believer in good oil in the engine being cheap insurance, but I'm also convinced that mother Honda wouldn't tell us we could go 8K if they had any doubt at all. I don't think the NT engine is being very stressed, even with 80mph freeway cruising speeds. I'm comfortable with the 8K interval and wouldn't stress over stretching that to 10 or even 12K if those were all highway miles. Just me. Not prescribing for anybody else.

Eldon, I'm glad I hadn't made reservations for our room any earlier, but I'll get that done in the next couple of weeks.

loonytuna

How many bikes were there lat year?

I know you don't want the crowds, but for me coming from Florida, I think its tough to be in SD and not do sturgis.

I'm thinking!!!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
For the ST event and timeframe, we had around 80-ish bikes from what I was told. I couldn't make it last year.

I will never do the Sturgis event but during this time frame there are no issues at all with crowds going to sturgis or any of the great riding around the area.

It's obviously a personal preference if you prefer the big bike events, just not one I'm all that interested in. Good luck either way you decide.

loonytuna

I agree the crowds are not fun, but if you like people watching it cant be beat, and the event is amazing. I was there in 2005.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I was there in 1980. I'll never be there during "STURGIS" again. It takes most of the joy out of riding and being in the Black Hills for me.

Top Bottom