PGM-FI Malfunction Indicator - Major Problem or Simple Fix?

briankay

When starting the motorcycle, the PGM-FI or "programmed fuel injection" warning light flashes or blinks 8-times and then off, then flashes another 8-times and off, and repeats. I would turn the motorcycle off, then re-start the motorcycle and the light would seem to stay off. However, I've also had it turn on and stay on while driving! I looked in the Owner's Manual and it says to take it in for service immediately. Has anyone experienced that same problem? The motorcycle seems to run OK and I really haven't felt a problem with performance...any helpful words of advice or direction I can give to the service techs, because as sooon as I bring it in, it will stop lighting up and they'll say it's fine, lol.

Brian

I had that happened and not soon after I started to have the engine cut out. I took it in and the notice for the cap replacement was the issue.

Jim

elizilla

I had that happened and not soon after I started to have the engine cut out. I took it in and the notice for the cap replacement was the issue.

Jim
Here is a copy of the service bulletin Jim is talking about:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had the same issue. The 8 blinks indicate a low-voltage condition at the throttle-position sensor. My dealer, Sun Honda in Denver, replaced the throttle position sensor and the voltage regulator/rectifier. Not long after that, the service bulletin about the plug caps came out and they replaced those.

I haven't had any issues sense. I drove the bike with the PGM-FI light on for a couple of weeks with no symptoms, but then one day, it died as suddenly as if I'd hit the kill switch, just as I merged into rush-hour traffic on I-25. I managed to get over to an exit and it restarted, ran on one cylinder for a block or two and then got me the 10-15 miles back north to the dealers. As I pulled into their lot, I shut it off, turned it back on, and the light was off and the bike ran fine. It kept running fine until they replaced the sensor and the regulator/rectifier.

Still runs fine, BTW.

I've just changed my plug caps and the light hasn't come on for a couple of days. I'm also going to replace the regulator-rectifier.
Be warned if you ignore the fault it can become VERY dangerous. It's as if someone has a remote control for the throttle. The fuel supply is cut off and then on again. I have been living with this for a couple of months and thanks to Phil, I think I am nearly in the clear. Also check battery connections are tight.
Initially I thought the Throttle Position Sensor was at fault, but when I thought about logically the fact it was telling me there was a problem means it was doing its job.

OP
OP

briankay

OK, so I took it to Mountain Motorsports in Marietta, GA (Authorized Dealer and Service Provider for Honda) and they performed the diagonistic on it. It came back with the Throttle Position Sensor showing low voltage...the fix is to replace the Throttle Body Assembly ($700 and a 2-day repair). However, it's still under warranty so it doesn't matter to me. QUESTION: Should I insist that they also replace the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier and the plug caps? I don't know a single thing about these parts and if they are directly related to the throttle body, but I'd hate to bring it back for another repair!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Should I insist that they also replace the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier and the plug caps?
The spark plug caps are covered by a Service Bulletin / Notification so they should be replaced as well.... It can't hurt and it may help you avoid the stalling problems in this heat.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
For sure you should insist they check the plug caps and see if they need to be replaced. Print out the service bullitin above and take it with you. Show it to them and ask them to check to see if the caps need replacement. This is a Honda service bullitin so if it applies they certainly should do it. Honda will pay them for the work.
Ken

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Sun Honda in Denver ran the diganostics on mine and never even mentioned the need for a throttle body replacement. They did replace the throttle position indicator (but may not have needed to do so). They thought the regulator/rectifier was the reason for the low-voltage indication at the throttle-position sensor.

They also replaced the plug caps but that service bulletin didn't surface until a several months later. I had had no problems but when they saw the service bulletin, they wanted to "take care of" me. I was willing to let them!

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I seemed to have missed this service bulletin and only becMe aware because of this thread. When did it come out? What do I need to do to get it taken care of? Thanks.

OP
OP

briankay

I checked with the dealership and Yes, they will look into the "Plug" bulletin and get that replaced; but they won't do anything with the voltage regulator until it goes bad or if there is a bulletin on that too. So for now, I'm awaiting for the repair on the Throttle Body Assembly replacement...I miss my bike already, lol.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
When I took my bike in for the 600, I told the Service Mgr to check the plug caps to make sure they had the NGK stamp in line with the service bulletin. He said that he recalled the "Tech Tip" about that. I told him that the best time to to do it was when the plastic was off. When I picked it up he told me that the mech checked both caps and the continuity checked good. I asked him what happens when they crack from many heat cycles and I am half way between here and there? I got the shrug. Next visit I take the Service Bulletin in with me. As I recall, it says "ALL".

I should have let them know ahead so they could order the parts.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
When I took my bike in for the 600, I told the Service Mgr to check the plug caps to make sure they had the NGK stamp in line with the service bulletin. He said that he recalled the "Tech Tip" about that. I told him that the best time to to do it was when the plastic was off. When I picked it up he told me that the mech checked both caps and the continuity checked good. I asked him what happens when they crack from many heat cycles and I am half way between here and there? I got the shrug. Next visit I take the Service Bulletin in with me. As I recall, it says "ALL".

I should have let them know ahead so they could order the parts.
While the service bulletin says "all" apparently in their computer it only applies to certain serial number bikes. My service manager said my serial number was not listed as one that needed the change. I bought the caps myself and will probably change them out the next time I have the plastic off or wait until I have a problem.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
... I bought the caps myself and will probably change them out the next time I have the plastic off or wait until I have a problem.
Good idea. I will probably do that. Cheap Insurance.

elizilla

I found the caps on Amazon for around $8, shipped, for the pair. So it's not like they're spendy.

NHR

I had the same problem with the light blinking 8 times, usually after I had been riding. Took it back several times befor the finally replace the ECM, which fixed the problem. Now I have a problem where I cant get the bike to shift. I was riding today. The bike feels like it is stuck in 4th. This was on a 6 lane busy road. Luckily a policeman saw me, turned around and helped me get the bike over to a parking lot. I called a friend, and we put it on his trailer and just dropped it off at the shop. This is the 2nd time since I have the bike that I was not able to shift gears. First time I was finally able to rock the bike to get it to change gears - not this time. I really hope whatever is wrong doesnt cost me an arm and leg to fix.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Wow! That sounds pretty serious. Are you still in warranty? I hope so....

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, mine is not included in the service bulletin serial numbers. Have not had any problems related to it either.

Top Bottom