Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelin PR3

My Gallery

Michelin PR3

Now that I've put a few hundred miles on the PR3's, I thought I'd post a quick review.
    * I, of course, can't yet speak to the wear life of the tires, but from everything I've read they will last longer than the PR2's and much longer than the OEM Bridgestones (replaced at 7000 miles).
    * Handling: I now find myself zipping through tight corners at about 10 mph faster than with the OEM tires. The "feel" of the tires through the turns gives the rider great confidence. Would the Bridgestones taken me through the corners at equal speeds? Probably. But motorcycle handling is all about rider confidence, and better tires bring confidence. These are dual compound tires that really hold the corners.
    * Front end wobble: With the OEM tires, even when new, if I loosened my grip on the bars greatly the front end would wobble. Slightly at first, then progressively worse until I would put light pressure back on the grips to stop the action. Now, this may not have been directly related to all OEM Bridgestones. It may have been slightly out of balance, etc. But, with the PR3's, there is no wobble at all. Straight and smooth.
    *Wet weather: The PR3's are designed to thrive in wet conditions. I found the grip nearly in the wet nearly what it is on dry pavement. The weep holes on the back tire seem to be well designed to assist in wet weather. The front tire has an entirely unique tread pattern, but was equally sticky on wet roads.
    *Appearance: OK, this should not matter, but it does. I like the look of the PR3's. The back tire has a cool pattern to it. I was a little worried that the front tire would produce road noise with its unique tread pattern, but it is silent and smooth--and looks cool.
    As far as mounting goes, I had the dealer mount them when they did the 8k service (done at 7k). The bill for the valve adjustment (adjusted one with specs provided for each), service and tire mounting was $462. I paid $0 as I opted for the 3 year service plan from them back in January.
    I'll stop here, since I promised a "quick" review...

--Enjoy the week!
    Jeff

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery
    I've got my third front tire on the bike at 27,000 miles. It's my second BT-023. I got 6K out of the BT-020s. The front would have gone a bit farther, but I was leaving on a 4,000 mile trip and it wouldn't have lasted that long. The second tires were BT-023s, and the rear was destroyed at 6K after a big screw tore it up. It was also starting to look pretty squared-off (I ride way too many miles on straight roads at fairly high speeds). I replaced it with a Metzler ME-880 bias-ply in a 160/70X17 that has lasted 15,000 miles, but has reached the end of its useful life. I'll be replacing it on Friday with another BT-023. I'm hoping that it will last as long as the BT-023 on the front which has gone about 4,000 miles.

I'm planning on trying a set of PR3s when these need replacing.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery
    just picked up my bike with the new PR3's. Going to ride all weekend to break them in !

My Gallery
    I rode PR3's in Europe this summer. I had a couple of really bad rain days there and they were very impressive. I thought I was sold on the BT 023's and just put a new one on my rear wheel but I'd consider these tires based on my experience this summer.
    Herb
    Huntington, NY

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery
    MY C-14 bud just put a PR3 on the rear of his bike. He'd been getting between 4-5K miles out of his previous tires (don't know what they were), and after 1500 miles across Nebraska and back and up in the mountains Monday-Wednesday, you could barely tell it had been ridden.

My Gallery
    I will order a set of BT 023's tomorrow. I have 12,550 miles on the OEM BT 020's. The tread wear is just getting to the wear indicators on the rear. The front has plenty of tread but is heavily cupped (scalloped). I can feel it when I roll the bike out in the morning. Will replace the front to have a matched set again. I'm ay post a review once I have run up a quick 1,000 miles or so.

keep the shiny side up,

Chuck
    You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    IBA #54857
    GL1800 Blue "Big Blue"

My Gallery
    In the UK most Deauville riders swear by the AVON Storms. If you can get them in the US try them.

Have a look at this site which has some info on tyres.
    Regards,
    John
    Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking than men spend thinking.

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery
    I just put a set of Avon Storms Ultra II's on my NT, Have been runing Avon Storm Ultras IIs on my Pan (ST1300) fo a long time. Just switch over to PR3's on the ST. I like both of these tires so far.
    Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001 NTOC#854
    14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)14 DL650[I] (Wee II) 17 VX300 Versys (Little Gray Bike)
    https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980

My Gallery
    Great day of riding with the PR 3s. They feel really good

My Gallery
    Just road 400 + miles in the rain at highway speeds. The PR3's were really great. I had total confidence. No wiggled or wobbles. Tires performed well. Very happy and safe.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast