[Review] Michelin PR3

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm glad to hear that someone is still getting the kind of mileage that the PR4s I first had accumulated. Maybe there's still hope.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Very strange! the milage differences! 20 k compared to 12k+-. Phil, I know you don't vary too much in the way you ride as far as speed etc , and I will speculate you stay on top of your pressurs, Could it be that your pressure gage hs=as failed on you?WE do know that road compound can cause varriences but in my opinion not enough to make a 6-7,000 mile difference and load on bike dhouldn't make s msjor difference. If I were superstitious I would think Dudly was sneaking out on you with speedometer disconnected and running flat out while you are sleeping.

All joking aside I suggest trying another set and see what the results are!

The other strange ting is that you and Jim are both reporting serious bad performance problems milage wise.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Eldon, I long ago cross-checked my tire pressure gauges. There's about 2psi difference between them. And there's about 2psi between the gauge I use and the Doran TPMS readouts. I'm running 38psi in my front tire and 44psi in the rear now.

I am convinced that there was some variation in PR4 production -- I think that's the only explanation for what Jim and I experienced.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Same as Phil. I have/had about 6 tire gauges. They all read within about 3 psi around the 40 psi range except one that was about 8 psi less. That one went in the trash can. The PR4 that wore out quicky reamins unexplained. I still have it along with the front that I'm keeping for spares. I don't mind replacing tires because new tires feel so good till they square off.

What bothers me the most is the "non response" I got from Michelin when I contacted them TWICE. I got the standard "high speed, low air pressure, rough pavement, agressive riding" response. I even sent them the numbers from the offending tire. I concluded they don't care.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Jim,

I hear youand agree with you about their I con't csre attitude, sounds like they are in bed with the BMW final drive people!

I sm of s mind to stop doing business with another supplier on a similar issue,
SEE PM I am about to send.

Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I'm glad to hear that someone is still getting the kind of mileage that the PR4s I first had accumulated. Maybe there's still hope.
Well, Phil - I'll let you know.

I just came off a 3,800 mile trip. Before I left, I needed a new rear tire as I knew the PR4 wouldn't last. I had over 13,000 on the old tire (and could have gotten more). I buy my tires from a local tire dealer (not a Honda dealership) and trust him totally. We talked about staying with the PR4 - he said he hadn't heard of any problems, but before he ordered one for me, he would talk to the distributor. He too had not heard of any problems. Though I strongly considered the Perelli Angel GT, I stayed with the PR4. The new one only has 3,800 miles on it, so I can't speak to its longevity yet, but it looks good.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Just ordered a pair of the Bridgestone T-30's. Hope they last better than the original rubber.
I don't know how long the OEM tires lasted for you. I replaced mine at about 6K even though they would have lasted a little longer. They would not have lasted for the 4K trip I was leaving on. Rear PR4s have lasted up to 13K, but the last one was toast at 7K.

I've got 8K+ on my T30s now. The rear is pretty squared-off, but looks good for several thousand more miles.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Just ordered a pair of the Bridgestone T-30's. Hope they last better than the original rubber.
I don't know how long the OEM tires lasted for you. I replaced mine at about 6K even though they would have lasted a little longer. They would not have lasted for the 4K trip I was leaving on. Rear PR4s have lasted up to 13K, but the last one was toast at 7K.

I've got 8K+ on my T30s now. The rear is pretty squared-off, but looks good for several thousand more miles.

Bike
2011 NT
I had just over 9,000 on my originals. But the back tire was close to the cords. New ones should be here by the week end. Sure isn't fun getting that back tire off.

Bike
2011 NT
Have a motorcycle shop 8 miles from me. He needs the work. Will have him do the check up work on it. From the looks of the weather out side this morning I better get the snowmobile out.

Bike
2011 NT
Ordered those tires on the 15th and they showed up today. Still waiting for the valve stems. Getting the angle ones.

Golfnutk2

I couldn't agree with Jeff more. I love the handling and stability the PR3's offer while cornering. My only regret is that I didn't replace my OEM tires sooner.

Top Bottom