[Review] Michelin PR3

1TRAK

I have a pair of PR3s we're mounting this Sunday for a Colorado trip, a friend has them on his ZX14 and believes they stick as well as Pilot Powers.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got a "spare" set of PR3s that will get here tomorrow if the FedEx tracking info is correct. The current set has about 5,000 miles on it. I'm hoping they'll last till next summer so the ones coming tomorrow can be fresh when I head north to Alaska.

BTW, what are you guys' plans for next Sunday night and Monday. I'm thinking I'll ride with you and camp with you Sunday night if that's OK. I'll need to get back here fairly early in the evening on Monday because Joanne is going to be in Wichita with her sisters while they go through some medical procedures. I'll have to pick her up Tuesday morning.

May I know what the going price for these tires is? I got a quote from my dealer today and it sounded expensive.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Most dealer prices are pretty expensive. I think I paid Bike Bandit about $280. That was $60 less than their regular price. I bought the spare set during their "tire sale."

My dealer always has a sale price for BT-023s that's a little lower than what I paid for the PR3s. But their price for PR3s is somethink like $100 more than I paid Bike Bandit.

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
May I know what the going price for these tires is? I got a quote from my dealer today and it sounded expensive.
The set I ordered last week from my Honda dealer came to $304 including tax. (Mounting is "free" with my service plan."

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If the mounting is free even if you buy the tires elsewhere, that's not too bad for a dealer price. Mine were $268 (IIRC) from Bike Bandit and I don't think that price is still good.

If I could get them less than $40 more from my dealer, I'd give him the business. But his price was something like $368. And they still would have charged me for mounting them. The service department gave me the same mounting cost that they would have if I'd bought the tires there: $105.

Tires just ain't cheap!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Do dealers typically have any problem mounting tires that you did not purchase from them ?

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Do dealers typically have any problem mounting tires that you did not purchase from them ?
I am fortunate in that my dealer comes close enough to the internet prices on tires to make me feel good about spending $20 or so more to buy them from their local business. If they were $100 more for the set, I would have to explore them mounting tires I bought elsewhere under the service plan...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
It is so nice to read the good reviews on the PR-3. Mine go on this coming Tuesday.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My "spare" set of PR3s got here today. I'm at 6,000 miles on the first set, and if they last 18,000, the spare set will be pretty fresh by the time we leave for Alaska.

1TRAK

I've got a "spare" set of PR3s that will get here tomorrow if the FedEx tracking info is correct. The current set has about 5,000 miles on it. I'm hoping they'll last till next summer so the ones coming tomorrow can be fresh when I head north to Alaska.

BTW, what are you guys' plans for next Sunday night and Monday. I'm thinking I'll ride with you and camp with you Sunday night if that's OK. I'll need to get back here fairly early in the evening on Monday because Joanne is going to be in Wichita with her sisters while they go through some medical procedures. I'll have to pick her up Tuesday morning.
I sent you a PM Phil and look forward to sharing some miles with you Sunday and Monday, we hope to hit Cashe La Poudre, RMNP Sunday, then 7/72/119 to Mt Evans Monday. It's open and we can ride ride all the way to the top, 14,270 feet! See you then!

Here's a PR3 with 18,000 miles on it next to the tire which will replace it.
Interesting. That is the same wear pattern I am seeing with my RoadSmart Dunlops. A shallow valley on either side of the center-and I assume longer wearing compound-which is more pronounced on the uphill side. Guess it goes with the territory.

Bike
Honda NT700V
Yup, fronts wear on either side of the center anyway and the harder compound in the center of the dual compound tires accentuates the effect. It was much more pronounced on the Roadsmarts I've run in the past.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I mounted a new PR3 on the rear yesterday. The mounting went well but it sure is tight in there to move the brake caliper out of the way and back in place.
I was disapointed in milage from the BT023 it replaced. The 023 was worn out at 7000 miles. My riding is an awful lot of short trips so I don't expect the mileage many others get with lots of road miles. It seems seldom I go more than 2 miles without accelerating or braking so that explains a lot of the lower mileage. I still don't like it. I am changing tires more often than some change oil. Just doesn't sound right.
I'm done complaining now. Hope the PR3 works better for me.

Brad

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i believe i paid $300 for the set from motorcycle superstore (140 for the front, 160 for the rear). one dealership would not install, another would. charged $80 per tire in labor, then disposal and shop fees, etc. came to $200. so it was $500 when all was said and done for me. next time i will get a quote from the dealer to compare. may be cheaper that route.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
i believe i paid $300 for the set from motorcycle superstore (140 for the front, 160 for the rear). one dealership would not install, another would. charged $80 per tire in labor, then disposal and shop fees, etc. came to $200. so it was $500 when all was said and done for me. next time i will get a quote from the dealer to compare. may be cheaper that route.
It sounds to me like they ripped you rather deeply, consider doing them yourselfe if you have the ability and experience. supprising how much labor you can do for yourselfe for $200/250.00 in your pocket for yur time and effort.
eldon

Top Bottom