Air compressors

elizilla

My air compressor is a 5 gallon cheapie I got at the auto parts store some years back. It has burst a seal and no longer holds air. The spot where it's leaking doesn't appear that it's meant to come apart, and it's not valuable enough for me to fight it. I think I paid $75 or so for it. I will probably just buy another one this weekend.

When I bought this one, I researched and got myself deep into analysis paralysis - it took me two or three years to get fed up with not having an air compressor because I couldn't get myself off the fence, and to just go buy the first one I saw and be done with it. I don't regret that decision. It lasted a long time and did everything I needed for all that time. So I could just go buy another - I don't think I can go too far wrong. I just use it to fill tires, to very occasionally run an impact wrench, and to blow air through carb jets. I'm not spraying paint or driving thousands of nails or anything that needs large volume.

If anyone can recommend a smallish, inexpensive air compressor that might be more maintainable in future, I am listening. If not, I'll just go up to Sears and buy whatever is a reasonable size and in stock.

OP
OP

elizilla

There is a Harbor Freight within walking distance of my house. If I buy a dolly to roll it home, I won't even have to ride into town and get a Zipcar to carry it. :)

Bike
2010 ABS Silver
I think a small one from Sears will be a good choice, good supply of repair parts and warranty. If you need some more storage capacity you can make some really cheap by re-purposing propane tanks.

I had several around when they changed to the new vales that were now obsolete but in good shape. I just removed the valve, purged the interior with air, washed it out with soap/water and air purged again until dry and odor was gone. Then I got a few fittings and shutoff valve from the hardware store to connect to my air hoses. I primarily use mine as a portable air source around the house where I don't want to drag the compressor. I can almost do a whole room of trim molding with my finish nailer on one charge. Old propane bottles with the old valves are all over the place and are usually free for the asking.

lowriderrjw

I wouldn't go with a Harbor Friehgt model. I've not had good luck with their air tools. A cheap one will have the CFM output of a fish tank pump. I was at Lowes today and they had a nice compact Hitachi for $199.

OP
OP

elizilla

I have a combination of Harbor Freight and Craftsman air tools. The Harbor Freight hose, hose reel, and impact wrench work fine. But I returned several tire chucks and never could get one that put air in instead of letting it all out. I finally drove across town to Sears to get one of theirs, and it worked fine first try. (Every gas station in my neighborhood has a tire chuck that does that. I guess I know where the gas station managers do their tool shopping.)

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I've had a Craftsman "pancake" compressor for about 9 years now that has never let me down. I have used it and abused it. If it ever fails, I'll replace it with the same. It is compact, but powerful enough to run everything I've ever attached to it. I've even run multiple nail guns at once without issue.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I also have the Craftsman Compressor. Got it on sale for $89. It is very reliable. Pumps up bicycle tyres to 110Psi., takes care of the tyres on the Suburban, Vibe, and MC. I clean parts with it almost daily (Bicycle restoration) Most recently it works my Motorcycle Lift. Don't know how I have managed without one. You can't miss with the Craftsman.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I also have the Craftsman Compressor. Got it on sale for $89. It is very reliable. Pumps up bicycle tyres to 110Psi., takes care of the tyres on the Suburban, Vibe, and MC. I clean parts with it almost daily (Bicycle restoration) Most recently it works my Motorcycle Lift. Don't know how I have managed without one. You can't miss with the Craftsman.
VIBE?!?!? Did you say VIBE? I have a 2010 with the "sight and sound" package. Sun roof, XM, TPM, 2.4 Camry engine, slap shift (or whatever they call it) automatic. Every extra they could get on it except AWD.
And, of course, the FAST red 2010 NT. You don't, by any chance, have a 2009 Yamaha Majesty too, do you?

Bike
2010 NT700V
VIBE?!?!? Did you say VIBE? I have a 2010 with the "sight and sound" package. Sun roof, XM, TPM, 2.4 Camry engine, slap shift (or whatever they call it) automatic. Every extra they could get on it except AWD.
And, of course, the FAST red 2010 NT. You don't, by any chance, have a 2009 Yamaha Majesty too, do you?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have a Cambell Hausfield piston type with regular crankcase and oil. It has been around about 15 years and works well. I did have a problem with the on/off switch (plastic broke) early on but I just added a home type light switch and a handy box and it has been good ever since. Craftsman is another decent quality and easy to get brand.
If you think you might want to repaint your bike or new farkles in the future an oilless type may be better but for tires and tools I like the old oil types.

Brad

OP
OP

elizilla

I've heard that the oil types are quieter.

I hate painting. If I suddenly lose my mind and decide to start doing paint work, I can always buy a different one then. :)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I'm way down on the reply list, but I have to go with Harbor Freight also. They have some junk at that place but they also have some real deals. In fact, they have a coupon ad in this months Cycle World.
Len

OP
OP

elizilla

I'm thinking I'll go with this. That's assuming the website is correct and they actually have it, and assuming it still looks OK to me when I go in there tomorrow to see it in person.

Craftsman, oil-filled, moderate in size, and the bad reviews are mainly only complaining about accessory parts that are duplicates of things I already have.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAC

Katherine,

Lowe's and Home Depot have Porta Cable, I picked up a 6 gal, 150 psi for $ 99.00 on sale. I use it with my nail guns and it will pick my bike lift up with the Valk on it with no problem. They go on sale offten, reg price IIRC is $ 156.00. This is a pancake type and can be carried with one hand.

johnha

Katherine,

If you haven't yet, your local Lowes probably sells something similar to the Sears you're looking at (in fact its probably the same thing painted blue/black with a Kobalt label). Advantage is that if you stop by your local Post Office and ask for a mail forwarding 'kit', you'll find a Lowe's Project Starter 10% off purchase coupon in there. Its nice to think you end up saving the sales tax and a little bit more....

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Heck, for the most part the stuff sold at Harbor Freight is the same as the stuff you get in Sears, Lowes and Home Depot until you get to the higher priced stuff. The only compressor I had trouble with was a Sears, and parts to fix were not available except as an assembly. Of course the longest lasting compressor I had was also a Sears.

The one I use the most now is a pancake type from HF. It does everything I need.

I won't buy hand power tools at HF. I tend to abuse them so I get better stuff, like Makita, the pro level of Sears stuff, Porter Cable, Milwakee.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
No Yamaha--except for a 3HP Yamaha Outboard. My Vibe is a 2007, gray metallic with alloy wheels, 1.8L Corolla engine, 5SP manual transmission, sunroof, stereo with 5CD changer. I also have a FAST red 2010 NT.

jsims

I bought, what I thought, was the ideal compressor from Costco. On paper it meet all my requirements, but you have to use ear plugs and tie it down to use. The dog starts barking and all the neighbors complain every time I turn it on---but other wise, its perfect.

OP
OP

elizilla

Well, I bought that Sears compressor yesterday. It needs oil put in before use, and I don't have the kind it needs on the shelf, so I'll have to stop and pick some up today.

I'm sure the scrap metal guys who cruise our neighborhood on Monday nights will be happy to take the old one.

Top Bottom