Be seen/heard

ddornier

I've had my nt700v for about 3 months now. I'm very pleased with the fuel economy and the comfort of the bike. I don't own a car and I use it as an everyday commuter and short distance touring bike. I contacted Twobros about making an exhaust for my machine so I could be seen/heard by drivers in my heavy traffic commutes. I had a twobros pipe on my first bike and it really helped me be heard by the cagers. Their reply was if anyone in California would contact them and let them have access to their bike they could fit/design a new pipe. Just a call out there to anyone willing to let two brothers borrow their bike for a while. I really want a louder machine for safety purposes.
Thanks,
Damian

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Damian,
There is no evidence that "Loud pipes save lives". Two Bros. make some pretty loud pipes. What a lot of people do not realize is that when they change pipes they lose mid-range performance--what you really need on the highway. The NT, ST-1100, ST-1300, and the Gold Wing are not exactly bikes that need to be louder--ditto BMW. Personally, I like the quiet. If I wanted loud, I would have gotten an HD. The next time you are in a car, check out how much you REALLY hear. Even a loud H-D or Yoshi silenced Ninja could only be heard when they are next to you. I think that I could find a better way to spend $4 to 6 hundred dollars.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Amen to that! One of the joys of the NT is the quiet!

Mike

Bike
Bonneville T120
I firmly believe that being seen is the more important. I got an Olympia Moto Sports Airglide 3 Jacket in Neon Yellow this spring. I haven't had a single person pull out in front of me since I got it. I rarely wear my pewter and black older jacket, but the last time I did, someone pulled out in front of me. I don't assume that everyone sees me. I still I assume I'm invisible. My wife recently go the women's airglide 3, also in Neon Yellow. I'm glad she did.

Also, since I got the jacket I've had two people, strangers, thank be for wearing it as it makes me more visible. I've also taken a lot of verbal abuse from my friends who ask me if I work at Waste Management Systems but I can put up with that if I'm easier to see.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I fully agree with Dan. When we rode together the last time, I wore a Black Tourmaster jacket. I now wear a Red and Black Honda Jacket. Rather than having loud pipes, I advocate exceptionally bright lights. Seems to work.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I can echo the comments above. I commute daily in Houston, TX traffic, primarily on I-10 (Katy Freeway) and I-45 into downtown. Being visible is far more important than being heard. If you haven't already, spend the money on hi viz gear. I have an Olympia GT Air Transitions jacket which I wish had more hi viz yellow on it. I have been told that it is quite visible and distinctive, however. To enhance visibility in the early mornings I have installed TailBrights (http://bucksporttouring.com/tailbrights.html). These reflective panels are black and unobtrusive in daylight by light up like Christmas tree under car headlights.

On the noise note, I sincerely believe that the lack of volume from the NT is a help. Car drivers (myself included) don't appreciate being startled or scared by unexpected loud noises. At best they are annoying and do little to endear you to your fellow commuters. I find that most drivers (there are exceptions) allow me room to maneuver as long as I don't try to bull my way into spaces just because I can. If you need loud sound, get a loud horn and use it judiciously. I find the NT horn adequate. People seem to hear it more than they did the horn on my Suzuki GS500F.

This is my humble opinion based on a exhaustive scientific survey with one participant.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
2010 NT700V
My sister and her husband are both EMTs. One of the biggest hazards of the job is having people pull out in front of the ambulance because they DON'T HEAR the siren. They have their radios blasting. If they can't hear an ambulance coming, do you think they're going to hear your pipes?
About the only thing loud pipes do is irritate non riders (and a lot of riders too). Unless that is REALLY your purpose, leave them alone.

elizilla

Y'know there is a reason I find this forum congenial. I fit right in, with my quiet bike. :)

Bike
2010 NT700V
There is an old saying, "What you don't have in quality, try to make up for in quantity."
I think that explains Harleys and most music.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have to agree with most here that loud will not keep someone else from running into you. The loudest bike I have owned was a Yamaha RZ350. I had more people not see me on that bike than any other. One big point about exhaust noise is that most of it is aimed out back where you just came from. Most accidents come at you from the front end.
Better breathing exhaust to make it run better maybe, just to be loud, certainly not for me.

Brad

subgenius

I had the trended Vance and Hines loud pipes on my Harley, I really believe the pipes scared drivers into my lane.
I was almost side swiped so many with that bike. I WILL NEVER AGAIN HAVE LOUD PIPES!
Visibility is way more important. Bright helmets, bright jackets, bright lights what ever it takes to be seen!

I saw a bumper sticker today I really liked, "If I stick that phone in your A&* (Butt) will that improve your driving?
:rofl1: Probably not but it will SURE "muffle" the sound from that end...pondering :think1: how to muffle the sound from BOTH ends at the same time :eek1: :rofl1:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I think that John Grinsel has coined a new category of drivers--"Telephone People" I love it. Can you see bumper stickers saying, "Watch out for Telephone People"?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Sorry for piling on but in my opinion the motorcycling community has enough problems with states and cities trying to pass laws restricting motorcyclists and a lot of it has to do with excess noise. Do us all a favor and stick to the stock quiet exhaust system on your NT.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have an all black Tourmaster Jacket that is comfortable, warm, and fits just right. The other day, while at a marine store, I found a roll of 3" wide Hi Viz Yellow webbing that is also reflective. My wife says she can sew a couple horizontal stripes on that jacket which will make it useful again.

Top Bottom