Reinstall the Muffler with Center Stand down, Not Side Stand

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Just a friendly warning. When I put my muffler back on, I did my usual lazy, side stand thing(hold over from my Shadow 750 days with no center stand). Whoops, yesterday when I had a need to put the center stand down, it wouldn't lower, held fast by the muffler center stand stopper/rest thingy(Rick I got your lingo). I was wondering why the stand was not scraping when I dragged my knees... just kidding.

Well, the good news is I've gone from being lazy/afraid of taking off the muffler to taking it off and on like a pro. So it's fixed and now resting on the rubberized rest coming off the muffler. Once again, disconnecting those electrical connectors is one of the most intimidating part of the job(the O2 sensor in this case) but now I'm developing a feel for how each one disconnects. And they all seem to be slightly different:frown:

I really feel that I know this bike like no other that I've had before thanks to the encouragement from this group to try new things I've never done. thanks.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I think the paint blobs are from the assembly inspection process. (Seems that was posted on here somewhere last year) Some of the more knowledgeable gurus may know for sure.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think the paint blobs are a post-production torque check indicator. Don't have any idea about the significance of the different colors.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
If you remove a bolt that has an orange/red substance on the tip of the bolt's threading, then you are looking at a thread locker product from Honda. Honda's red thread locker correlates to Locktite's blue thread locker. DONT use Locktite's red color just because Honda's is red. BIG MISTAKE.

Often times, those bolts are called ALOC bolts in the service manual. The service manual will call for the ALOC bolts to be replaced with new ALOC bolts. ALOC bolts come with Honda's red thread locker pre-applied. Honda calls for the replacement just to be on the safe side that the bolt is properly coated with thread lock as it will wear off with the removal/install of the bolt.

The service manual clearly identifies these bolts and specifies required torque values as well as what parts should be replaced if dissembled.

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I too had some difficulty getting the muffler off the first time but not since then. So next time will be easier. My big problem is the electrical connectors in general and the O2 connector in particular. Finding the release thingy and pushing it the right way... always an adventure.

You should have no difficulty putting the muffler back on. I shot some WD 40 on the male exhaust insert and just rocked and pushed the muffler back in place. Just remember to have the kick stand down when doing this! Don't do this with kick stand only....

Top Bottom