intermittent Headlights

SeattleJim

While I was riding yesterday another rider pointed out that both headlights (high/low) were out. I replaced the fuse and they came back. Problem solved, I thought. Nope, the original fuse is good and I swapped it back and the headlights are still on. Sometimes. I keep testing them and they usually work but not always.

When they work the high/low switch works fine. Either both lights work or they don't. I don't think the headlight receptacles are loose.

I think it might be the headlight relay. Does that make sense? To access the relay the left saddlebag needs to be removed, and grab rails, possibly the Givi trunk mount, etc. Yeesh...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Looking at the wiring diagram it appears that both headlights and "position light" share a common ground point. Was the position light on or off? If it was off I'd look for a loose ground connection in the nose...

OP
OP

SeattleJim

Thanks for the tips.

The Position light always works.

I'm testing it by switching the key on and off while the bike is on the center stand. About 1 in 10 times the headlights do not come one. The bike is not moving at all. I know it "could" still be a loose wire but the last time the lights did not come on I hit the starter button. Once started the lights came on. The starter circuit switches the relay so it could be the relay. Or the vibration of starting jiggled the loose wire.

I decided to go ahead and take the left saddlebag off. (don't forget the small screw in the RIGHT saddlebag.) I marked the headlight relay and swapped it for one of the 3 other identical relays. I repeated my testing of turning the key on and off about 20 times and the headlights always come on.

The dealer says the closest relay is in Wisconsin so I've ordered one (<$8) and should have it Wednesday. I'll keep testing it in the mean time.

Thank you!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
You might keep in mind the function of the relay that now has the possible intermittant action. What does it do or not do when relay is malfunctioning.
Did you see any corrosion or possible bad connections on the relay?

Brad

OP
OP

SeattleJim

The possibly bad relay is now operating the cooling fan. I'm not running the bike until i get a new relay so won't be able to tell what affect it has on the fan.

OP
OP

SeattleJim

Simba:

Darn, if the relay doesn't activate the low beam then it must not be that.

The power for the headlights must not go through the small starter switch on the handlebars. Another relay? I'll hunt that down on the wiring diagram.

OP
OP

SeattleJim

I just went down and turn the key on -- no headlights. I tapped the starter switch and then the lights came on. I'll start by taking the switch apart and look for corrosion.

OP
OP

SeattleJim

I just tested the starter switch per the shop manual. The headlight control *IS* intermittent. Without disconnecting the throttle cable access to the starter switch is limited. I sprayed it with contact cleaner and tested again and it seems fine now. I'm going to put the bike back together now. If it acts up in the future I'll dig further into the guts of the switch.

Thank you!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had the same problem tonight. I rode from work to the nearest gas station to fill up and used my Denalis on the way. Rode from the gas station to a Subways for "dinner." Came out, started the bike and had headlights. Rode home, checked the Forum, found this thread, went back out to check again. Switch on, headlights on, bike started, headlights off. I turned the switch off, back on, headlights on, bike started, headlights on. I'll try the contact cleaner in the starter switch trick.

MAC

I hit the starter button
Jim, you may have a dirty conection in that switch. My Valk wouldn't start the first time this summer after sitting all winter and a couple times last summer. I took the starter switch apart and cleand the contacts, works great now.
Some thing to try:
There are 4 cotact points in the switch, two keep the head light on, when the button is pushed to start the lights go out. clean and put anti-oxidant compound on them. You should be able to remove the bottom of the switch to get at them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I noticed today that the headlights were on 5 of the 9 times I have started the bike so far. I also noticed that if I "bumped" the starter switch when they weren't on, they always came on.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I noticed today that the headlights were on 5 of the 9 times I have started the bike so far. I also noticed that if I "bumped" the starter switch when they weren't on, they always came on.
Sounds unusual to me (in my vast experience of 30,000 miles LOL). When I start the head light goes out then comes on when I release the starter button. I presume this is so all of the battery power can be used by the starter motor. May need checking.

OH, keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

elizilla

I have seen this problem on a number of other Hondas. When you push the start button, it turns the headlights off so all the juice can go to the starter. Then when you release the button, the headlights are supposed to come back on. The contacts in the switch get dirty and the lights stop coming back on after a start. Just touching the starter button, or wiggling it a little, will make the lights come back on again. Extremely common Honda failing, and not hard to live with since you can turn the lights on by playing with the switch and when you do, they stay on - it's not like they turn off while riding.

Spray some contact cleaner in the switch, and it should take care of it. Easy peasy.

OP
OP

SeattleJim

Yes, Radio Shack contact cleaner on the starter switch solved the problem for me. I loosened the two halves of the housing to get a better shot at the contacts.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Shoot, I didn't even loosen anything, just shot it in around the starter switch button. Seems to have worked.

I love easy fixes!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Shoot, I didn't even loosen anything, just shot it in around the starter switch button. Seems to have worked.
That is why they give us "straws" with WD-40....:D Just don't let it drip on the bike! This winter I am going to tear mine apart and use some dielectric grease on all the connectors...

Spray some contact cleaner in the Right hand switch gear. It's the starter button causing the problem.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
On my Valkyrie I cleaned up the contacts and also added a relay so only control voltage went through the starter switch. Never had the problem again after that.

Top Bottom