Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: intermittent Headlights

My Gallery

Re: intermittent Headlights

Glad you got to the bottom of it.

Brad

My Gallery

I had a problem with the headlight going out when I first got my NT. Still under warranty...the dealer couldn't replicate the problem and the problem went away...it was pretty exciting to be riding a dark curvy road and have the headlight go out..
    going to work a couple days ago....dark, about 40 degrees, switched from low to high beam and nothing happened...tried it again and the high beam came on, once the hi-beam comes on, it will switch back and forth just fine, seems to occur when I'm just starting out and it's cold out. .....maybe I'll be spraying some contact cleaner on these switches in the near future, can't hurt.
    NT only
    Bikes owned; '83 GL650I, '82 GL1100I, ??CB400, '82 GL1100A, '83 GL1100I, '06 BMW K1200LT, '10 NT700V

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by swingshiftssuck View Post
    I had a problem with the headlight going out when I first got my NT. Still under warranty...the dealer couldn't replicate the problem and the problem went away...it was pretty exciting to be riding a dark curvy road and have the headlight go out..
    going to work a couple days ago....dark, about 40 degrees, switched from low to high beam and nothing happened...tried it again and the high beam came on, once the hi-beam comes on, it will switch back and forth just fine, seems to occur when I'm just starting out and it's cold out. .....maybe I'll be spraying some contact cleaner on these switches in the near future, can't hurt.
    The problem is generally caused by the poor grease used by the factory. It hardens after awhile a prevents the starter button from fully returning to the out position. This is typically noticed when the weather turns cold...cold weather, stiff grease...Best fix is to open the switch housing, clean out the old grease and place some good quality dielectric grease on the mechanism.
    --Rob

2010 Honda NT700VA --- 2009 Honda GL18BM-TE --- 1989 Honda CB-1

My Gallery

[..Best fix is to open the switch housing, clean out the old grease and place some good quality dielectric grease on the mechanism...]

I agree completely. Spraying from the outside is such a hit-or-miss proposition.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    Spraying from the outside is such a hit-or-miss proposition.
    And what drips out of the housing after a WD-40 blast isn't something I'd want to risk dripping on my bike...
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

+ New Posts
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456