Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cee Bailey Windshield Review In RoadBike Magazine, December 2011 Issue

My Gallery

Cee Bailey Windshield Review In RoadBike Magazine, December 2011 Issue

For those interested in another opinion on the Cee Bailey replacement windshield, RoadBike Magazine has just published the one I did for them in their December 2011 issue. A copy of the page is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "All things in moderation, including moderation." Mark Twain

All bikes.

2. › Site Search for: Cee Bailey Windshield Review In RoadBike Magazine, December 2011 Issue
    My Gallery
    If perfection is a limo with the windows up... why ride a bike?
    Karl
    2010 ABS "Jezabell"

My Gallery
    Interesting report. I have tried National Cycle.....returned it as it cracked around mounts.

Does this or is this Cee Baily same thickness are stock? Shouldered bolts could be problem if thickness not same.

9 air management rating interesting compared to stock 7.5-8. I like good air management....something many modern bikes do not have. For the rain up the stock I made sponge that fits in gap/vent. Works.

Bob Hibler
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery
    The CB shield I tried was the same thickness as the stocker and fit well. Air management is subjective. I felt there was an improvement but not a night and day difference. As I said, the stock shield, in my opinion, does a pretty good job. The Cee Bailey, for me, did it better. I also found the people at CB to be good folks and you cannot complain about the warranty.

My Gallery
    My first CeeBailey + 2 was a first generation screen; I understand that there have been some changes -- like changing the lower profile so the screen doesn't interfere with the mirror mounts if the wind deflectors are used and adding the "flip" to the + 2" and up sizes.

Mine broke during one of the three falls the bike took on our local hospital's fudge-surfaced parking lot. Good samaritans picked the bike up all three times, but on one of the falls, the screen must have hit an adjacent vehicle. It was broken off, but the parts where the mounting screws were were still firmly attached with no cracks around the holes.

I ordered another +2 and learned that (regardless of what good ol' Tom at CeeBailey says, something is different. It's not quite as tall when mounted. I always rode with the first one in the first notch down from the highest. If I put this one there, it's lower than the first one. If I put it at the same height at the top, I'm up to a position about halfway between the top notch and the first one down and the notch at the bottom is higher.

I called Tom and I'm in the production pipeline for a +4" screen. He did make me pay the $10 difference in cost between a +2" and a +4", but I've got no problems with that.

Once again, CB has good folks and good customer service/relationships.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 94,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery
    Good review. And as it stated, the Cee Bailey is made of the same materials used in aircraft windshields, by a company that makes aircraft windshields. That's why I never had a problem looking through my Cee Bailey while riding. There was no distortion or lack of visual quality looking through one. Of course, that was before I sand-blasted my Cee Bailey in a sandstorm ride.
    Rick
    2010 NT700VA Silver ABS #0175 - "Sassy"

My Gallery
    my +4 is due to arrive thurs this week...very excited!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer (Graphite) - Current
    2010 Honda NT700V (Silver) - Former

My Gallery
    I am thinking of getting a CB. I like the stock windscreen but can't find a position that works for me. I ride with two notches up most of the time. If I bring it up one more notch, the top is in my line of vision. One more notch makes it worse. I am 5'10 with a 30" inseam. Would a +2 or a +4 be a better fit?

My Gallery
    Assuming I get my +4 on time, you can check it out in Freeport this weekend to help you decide.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

My Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
    Would a +2 or a +4 be a better fit?

OK, you normally ride 2 notches up. One more up puts the top in line of vision. Then you say one more notch (full up) "makes it worse". What do you mean by "worse"?

The Cee Bailey has a "flip" in the top of both the +2 and +4. You can get a very slight distortion looking through the "flip". It might be enough to bother you. So the question is...what do you want to be able to do with the screen? Look all the way through it sometimes? If so, get a +4. That's what I had and loved it at 6' 0" 33" inseam. If it was all the way down, I could still see over it. If it was all the way up, I would be looking through it below the "flip". CAVEAT: I have MCL 1" risers and the Russel seat (1" higher than OEM) with backrest, so I sit UPRIGHT. You may be able to do a +2 at your 2" lesser height than me depending on how upright you sit..

I'd sit on your NT in your normal riding position. Put the OEM screen all the way down. Now mentally add 4" to the top of it. If you cant see over the top then, a +4 is too much. Do it in reverse also. Pull your OEM screen all the way up. Then mentally add 4" to it and see what you have. Your line of site should be WAY below the top and you'd be looking below the "flip" with no distortion.

Now, with the OEM screen up all the way...add only 2" to it. If you line of sight IS NOT at least 2" BELOW the top of where the +2 Cee Bailey top would be, you will be looking THROUGH the flip with the Cee Bailey +2 all the way up. That may bother you. In that case, I'd get the +4.

Hope that helped. My gut feeling is you could get by with the +2, but that's just a guess on my part based on my experience with my +4 and me sitting upright.
    Last edited by FalconAF; 09-27-2011 at 03:13 AM.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast