[Review] Cee Bailey Windshield Review In RoadBike Magazine, December 2011 Issue

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My new +4" CeeBailey is in the brown truck and scheduled to be here on Tuesday morning.

OP
OP
Bob Hibler
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
I took it as constructive! I had a hard time whittling down to the size I did. Anyway, thanks for your bringing it up, it is another reason to consider that product. From their website, "This service [restoration] is only available for Acrylic windshields [Lucite] and we can not restore polycarbonate shields. Please be advised that the majority of most original equipment manufactures shields are made out of polycarbonate AKA Lexan. Shields manufactured out of Polycarbonate are usually clearly stamped on the lower portion of the shield. They are identified by PC, GE, Lexan, or Polycarbonate." Please note, parentheses are mine.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My +4" CeeBailey came today. It looks like it's the perfect size for me.

BUT. It's just a tiny bit loose on the upper left side. When the windshield bolt shoulders on the nut, the windshield can be moved. I'll be riding at about 190 miles tomorrow and it looks like it's going to be windy. I'll see how it does. Both of my other ones fit snugly.

What do you all think...is there someway to shim it that would take up that slack? It almost feels like paper would be enough, but it wouldn't last in rain.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I haven't talked to Joe before; Tom has been my contact there. I rode about 160 miles today in strong head- and cross-winds and it seemed just fine. I'm going to pretend I never noticed anything.

elizilla

Shim with a cut up piece of bicycle innertube? Or if it's that thin, a piece of a rubber glove?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I would also shim it. With all the flexing I would worry about elongated holes and stress cracks if a bit loose.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I think I'll try a rubber glove. It just is barely loose.

Mattb

I'm contemplating a Cee Bailey to reduce wind noise in preparation for the Scala G4's my wife and I are purchasing soon. With the stock windshield all the way up, all I need to do is scrunch a few inches to be in the calm. Will the stock Cee Bailey be enough to divert that or should I go for the +2 to be sure, or the +4 and just leave it a few clicks down if that's the way I like it?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Matt,

I would suggest the +2 , +4, then leaving it a couple notches down. I have a +2 "flip" and normally ride with it in position 3, the center position. When I want more airflow I just "slap" it down to the bottom position and I get all the air I could want... BTW the "stock" replacement Cee Bailey, in standard size, doesn't have the "flip" so you are not gaining much IMHO...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm betting that CeeBailey, a manufacturer of aircraft windshields, makes a product that will last a long, long time...If your bike doesn't fall over in such a way that the screen hits an object like a parked car.

I only have a two/tenths of a million miles on motorcycles, so maybe you won't pay attention to my opionons. But, on the Concourses I rode, Rifle and Clearview screens were both better than stock. Neither was as good as the stock NT screen, but the stock screen on the NT isn't as good as the CeeBailey.

Unlike John, I do like to look through the screen a lot of the time. If it's raining or dark, I'm usually looking over it. With the +4" CeeBailey, and the Russell DayLong saddle, I keep my screen in the 2nd position from the top and have no trouble looking either over or through for long, long distances.

I don't feel as if anything I've ever spent on windscreens has been a total waste of money...except maybe Saeng edging on the Connies.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
LOL, yep, I haven't died from looking through the screen either. I like to look through it when it is really cold out.

OK, got pictures of the CB +6. One reason I got the +6 is for a reason John mentioned. For some reason Honda has the shield change angle as it goes up. Which means the top edge of the shield is "far" away from your head when it is all the way up. I wanted the top edge closer to me so chose a screen that I would set at the lower positions most of the time. You can see that geometry in this series. All the way down to all the way up. But, the downside is I never use position 5, so I only have a choice of 4 positions. All the way down keeps the air off my chest so if in really hot weather you don't get a lot of flow there. I have ridden with this shield in >90F heat and it does fine for me (with mesh jacket).

FWIW I normally ride with it in position 2 or 3, very quiet unless there is a lot of turbulence (trucks) or crosswind. In that case I raise it to position 4 and look through it (unless it is raining, then it stays lower and I suck it up).

Oh, and you can also see how much flip there is on the +6.

Lowest position

Position 2

Position 3

Position 4

Position 5 (I never use this position as it puts the screen too high)

Mattb

Matt,

I would suggest the +2 , +4, then leaving it a couple notches down. I have a +2 "flip" and normally ride with it in position 3, the center position. When I want more airflow I just "slap" it down to the bottom position and I get all the air I could want... BTW the "stock" replacement Cee Bailey, in standard size, doesn't have the "flip" so you are not gaining much IMHO...
Thanks! I didn't know that about the CB stock length. I'm going with the +2.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
OK, so YES! If you have a fixed windshield you best be able to look over it!!!

But, that's one of the best things about the NT. The windshield can really be moved up and down! Amazing I know, but, true! :)

So, I can set it to look through it when I feel like it. And can move it down so I look over it when I want. TaDa!!!! :D

Heck, if it is adjusted up and I run into rain or sun in my face I can slap the shield and lower it to look over it immediately. (BTDT)

End of argument.

Now let's get back to whether the CB series of shields are good or not so good. I still vote that my +6 is the second best farkle I have, right next to the Russell seat. :)

Mattb

Thread Hijack alert!

I like pie.

Seriously - I can't find a good photo of the light gray Cee Bailey windscreen. even the CB website looks amiss - like they accidentally posted an image of a dark gray to depict a light gray.

I love the look of the dark gray but I know better.

Anyone have a photo of the light gray? Should I stop messing around and just get the clear +2?

Mattb

Maybe I'm experiencing optical distortion, but photo 4 looks darker to me.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Thread Hijack alert!
Yep, and I'm un-hijacking it right now... There is a new thread in General "Should You Look Over Or Through A Windshield" for any further discussions on the over or through view point... I will unlock it when I am done editing it down... In the mean time any post here on the over or through might get lost in the move so just hold off please.....:D

EDIT: The NEW Thread is now open please post any "Over or Through" comments in it, not here...

Thank for your cooperation...

Last edited:
Top Bottom