[Review] Cee Bailey Windshield Review In RoadBike Magazine, December 2011 Issue

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
John,

Your comments on helmet vents is a good one. The extra 'stuff' on the top of my HJC open face, the vents and other baubles, do cause significant wind noise when the airflow goes over them. My helmet has a pivoting faceshield and the top edge of it also contributes a little.

To test your helmet use a hand to block the wind flow at various parts of the helmet to find out which parts contribute to the noise.

I found that if I applied some tape over the vents to 'smooth out' the profile, and some tape over the top of the visor I could cut wind noise down to almost nothing. Not very practical as in summer I like to open the vents and the visor is opened and closed a lot. I also found that if I flip the visor up I get a lot less (almost no) wind noise (visor 'blocks' top of helmet) but I get a lot more road and engine noise.

Where the airflow is hitting the helmet is important as well. I also can 'test' that by holding my hand in the flow to see where the 'edge' is.

And remember that helmets are designed for a 'free' airflow, which is not what we get behind a windshield. My Shoei RF1000 FF helmet is 'noisy' behind the screen on the NT (stock, CalSci and CB). But, it is fairly quiet when on my nearly naked Guzzi.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I also wear ear plugs, rated anywhere from 20 to 35dB of reduction. While they keep noise below damaging levels they do NOT make it quiet, which is what I am looking for when on a long trip. To me there is nothing worse than the "thrumming" sound of wind noise at less than damaging levels.

And yes, my helmet is a compromise of many factors with price being a large consideration. If price were not an issue I'd have a helmet custom designed for me and the bike I would use it with. I can't complain about the design since the mfgs cannot anticipate every type of bike being made and how the airflow interacts with the helmet.

I have tried felt along the inside of the visor, didn't help in my case. Same with plugging vents. And, no, I don't have my helmets all taped up. I was just interested in what parts were making the noise so I could make a better purchase decision with my next helmet.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
For the record here, I use my ear plugs AND I use a helmet headset. The volume is high enough so I can hear it over the road/wind noise and the ear plugs. Yep, even when I wear the >30dB reduction plugs. If I can reduce the wind noise in the helmet it means I can reduce the volume of the music as well. I also ride for hours at a time with no music playing, just trying to enjoy silence, or as close to that as I can get on the bike :)

If I feel discomfort using ear plugs I get rid of those and try another brand/type. Mostly the cheap ones sold for sleeping or airline travel. The ones made for sleeping seem more comfortable to me. I've tried fitted plugs and all the different flange types and cannot wear them. One day will try those expensive custom fitted ones. Maybe when they put bluetooth in the plugs :)

FWIW, the downside to wearing ear plugs is the tinnitus is more noticeable :(

Mattb

Just received word from Cee Bailey that my +2 is on the way!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Rick,
I struggled for quite a while trying to get used to foam plugs. I had ear plugs issued to me in the Army which were great on the shooting range, and super comfortable--but totally worthless racing my Lotus or riding my motorcycles.

I finally went to a hearing center and had a custom set of ear plugs made designed for motor sports use. The price for the plugs was $200.00 but they are comfortable to the point that I can wear them all day. They work well with my Nolan 103 and do not amplify my tinnitus like the foam plugs did. I use them when I mow the lawn, use the weed whacker, chain saw, and anything noisy. The price was well worth it.

Todd091870

I ordered My +2 windshield couple days ago. I did not realize that they had to manufacture it at the time I ordered it. Two weeks out..... Oh well. Would have just been nice to know that ahead of time or at least when I placed my order.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
They tend to run batches I suspect. My +2 "flip" is one of the best "farkles" I have on my NT....
Hey Wayne,

I noticed you refer to your windshield as a "flip" +2? I haven't seen that anywhere else and wondered if there's a model that's different than what Cee Bailey lists as a +22?

Thanks,

LL

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
They don't have two different models. The 'flip' refers to the second generation made by CB. Their first generation models didn't have the 'flip'.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Larry, the 2nd generation CeeBaileys all have a bit of a flip at the top. It's not much and doesn't seem to cause any turbulence. Some have said it distorts the optical quality of the windshield, but I sure haven't noticed that. I've got + 4".

BTW, I haven't seen any of the + 22" screens yet. That would be pretty tall. :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Larry,

The original Cee Bailey for the NT did not have the "flip" at the top of the of the windshield. When it was redesigned, for better fitment, the "flip" was added and is a great improvement over the "stock" style originally produced.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Larry, the 2nd generation CeeBaileys all have a bit of a flip at the top. It's not much and doesn't seem to cause any turbulence. Some have said it distorts the optical quality of the windshield, but I sure haven't noticed that. I've got + 4".

BTW, I haven't seen any of the + 22" screens yet. That would be pretty tall. :)
Well yes, of course, that would be the Brushmeister model which you need if you're doing any serious off-road riding through the bush. The stand-up riding position requires a much taller windscreen, eh? Hope this clears it up for you.

LL75 :tongue:

Edit: Jeeze, I nearly forgot to mention that I ordered a +2 in clear. I really struggled with not getting a tinted model but in the past one of the darker tinted ones I own has developed a milky cast to it that's only apparent in certain direct sunlight. Just for drill I took a look through a second one on another bike, same shade but different mfg and it's also showing a slight cloudiness. Neither one of these would constitute a dangerous situation since I ordinarily don't look through my windshields but when I do it's during low or impaired visibility and usually for very brief periods. That's just enough reason for me to go with the clear version.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Larry, I look through the windscreen a lot of the time, but I always have my screen adjusted so that I can look over it.

That's what worried me about the Bushmaster version -- I'm pretty short and wouldn't be able to look over it in those occasions when I needed to.

My first bike, a GL650i Silverwing, was a bike which had the identical fairing that the GL1200 Goldwing had. When I bought it, it was sporting the largest windscreen JC Whitney sold. That cotton-picker stuck up about 7-8" above the top of my helmet. At the time I was a pipe smoker and I am convinced that I could have smoked my pipe behind that thing!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Hey Phil, I can smoke a cigar behind my +6 when it is up in the 4th and 5th notches. :) Thought about a cup holder the other day. :D

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Charlie, I don't have a cup holder but my Bags Connection City Bag will hold my thermal cup. I enjoyed a cup I'd bought in Walden while coming down off of Willow Creek Pass Sunday afternoon.

subgenius

Charlie, I don't have a cup holder but my Bags Connection City Bag will hold my thermal cup. I enjoyed a cup I'd bought in Walden while coming down off of Willow Creek Pass Sunday afternoon.
Well, what are you waiting for (LOL)? Go to TT and search for "RAM Self-Leveling Cup Holder..." I couldn't believe I saw that on display when I went down there last week to have my t-lock installed. Next up, a "wine rack" (or rifle rack mod'd to hold wine bottles) :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Top Bottom