Tourmaster Flex 3 First Impression

An unusual combination. I bought it for a warm weather jacket and then the salesperson shows me that it comes not only with a liner-not unexpected-but also what they call a weather cover which is rain resistant cover that looks like another jacket entirely. Sort of a 3 in one I guess you would say. I am so far impressed with the ventilation sans liner which is why I got it-my Joe Rocket Phoenix 1.0 getting very old by now. Will have to wait for the 100 degree days again to be sure. Has a few loose threads which haven't unravealed anythng after 250 miles yesterday. Lots of internal pockets. Lots of adjusts for a good fit. Machine wash and air dry. Looks like the elbow armour will be difficult to get out. Retail for $215. Grey is a good match fo rthe NT and my Olympus pants. Will follow up when it gets cold and/or wet.

OP
OP
Jsut a follow up on the Flex 3. Got out in 50degrees and no sun today with the liner and weather cover on at 50-70mph. Not too bad considering I just threw it on in a hurry. No leaks except austhe waist and that could be improper layering. A little air around the neck fixed by pulling my turtleneck up a little. Odd the Weather cover is shorter in length than the jacket.

Darth

My wife and I both have the Tourmaster Flex 3... pants and jackets. We both really like them, you can go from mesh only to the full 3 layers quickly. I ride down into the the lower 30's on my 26 mile commute to work, and do not get cold. They are also nice when on longer trips because you don't have to pack as much for changing weather conditions. I did blow a zipper out of my pants this fall, so I'm going to see if Tourmaster will step up to repair/replace it.

OP
OP
A further follow up. Got out in upper 40's today and was disappointed. The jacket simply cannot handle the lower temperatures. Especially allows to much air up around the neck even with a turtlenneck sweater underneath. Got rapidly chilled because of it. Also not enough warmth in the torso. Put on my demin Cortech for comparison and got warmer in same and colder conditions.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I've had my jacket for about 6 months now.

Not a lot to add. I really like the way the outer section goes on and off easily. Used it in quite a bit of rain this summer in CO and didn't have any leaks, even without doing up all the zippers (it zips up the front, around each cuff, around the neck and around the bottom). Normally when throwing it on I only zip up the front. The important part is to have gloves with cuffs so wind doesn't go up the sleeve.

In 100 deg heat it does fairly well. Mine is the red and black so it absorbs a little heat, but, overall works as good as any mesh jacket I have worn. In heat the cuffs work well with short gloves. Get additional airflow up the arms.

Have worn it in below freezing. I do not use the zip in lining, too much trouble for me. I wear a fleece lined hoodie under it. Did really well. There is slightly more draft than my heavy leather jacket, but, it does better than my old First Gear Killimanjaro jacket, which was quite good. My commute is 30-40 min and I was comfortably warm for the entire ride.

With just the outer wind break on it is good down to the low 50's. In the 40's I will put on a lighter weight hoodie underneath. In the 30's I use the fleece stuff. I will try the zip in liner later this month and see how well it does by itself.

Washing is fairly simple. elbow and should pads go in and out relatively easily.

The little stray threads are annoying, but, no seams have given me an issue yet.

On thing I do like is that all the pockets are inside the rain outer, unlike a mesh jacket with a inner rain liner.

So far I love the thing and wear it over my leather jacket now.

PS I did replace the thin foam back protector with a CE rated one.

PPS wore it in one rain storm when warm out. Unzipped the sleeve and shoulder vents and had a nice airflow without getting too much rain inside.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The outside part of the current Flex III is a two layer affair. The outside layer is cordura and the inner layer is the same stuff that rain liners are made from.

FWIW, the inner rain liners I have had were labeled water resistant and breathable.

If I rode in rain as much as you guys get in the PNW I'd get something like a stich or marine grade waterproof stuff.

PS I rode today with the quilted liner inside the Flex III. I didn't like it as much as my hoodies. It was warm enough but it didn't seal at the neck or waist that well (even after cinching up the waist band). If using the quilted liner you'd be advised to also wear a scarf. About the only reason I'd use the supplied liner is because it would not take up much room when packed. The nice thing about the hoodies is you can wear them as outer wear when you get where you are going.

Last edited:

kenstone

Having a couple of jackets with "zipout" liners with a bunch of other fasteners top and bottom and in the sleeves, I never bother attaching them.
Now, I just put on the liner, zip it up in the front, put on the jacket, and go.
Ken

Top Bottom