Voltage Output Test for Heated Gear and Farkles

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Ok, this is likely to be a lengthy post, but here are the results of the voltage tests on the NT with various things running:
Bike off: 12.4v
The following are all taken at IDLE:
low beam: 14.17v
high beam: 13.88v
high beam + grips on setting 1: 13.86v
high beam + grips on setting 2: 13.82v
high beam + grips on setting 3:13.80v
high beam + grips on setting 4: 13.79v
all above +jacket on setting 1: 13.75v
all above + jacket on setting 2: 13.73v
all above + jacket on setting 3: 13.69v
all above + jacket on setting 4: 13.65v
all above + jacket on setting 5: 13.35v

Then I added the heated gloves on the highest setting to find:
high beam + grips on high + jacket on high + gloves on high + turn signal + high beam + brake light + radiator fan: 12.8v
With everything on high at idle, the heated grips shut off after a few seconds. This would lead me to believe that the grips automatically shut down somewhere around 13v (aftermarket Show Chrome brand heated grips).
As soon as I turned one or more off the highest setting, everything stayed on and operated properly. I can't see ever running everything on high at the same time as they all get very hot at that setting. I think if I ever wanted to add heated insoles (they only use 14.5w) I would be ok as long as I ran items on medium settings.
For comparing to your setup, here is the wattage usage of each item on the list:
Heated grips: 33 watts, jacket: 72 watts, glove liners: 27 watts.

Now, bring on Winter!

--Jeff

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Also keep in mind Jeff's readings are at idle. The alternator output will increase with RPM and at speed is where the heated gear comes in handy.

Brad

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks for the info!

My wife road back from the dealer after picking up her new NT with a full set of Gerbing heated clothing (Jacket, gloves, pants, socks). She was probably only running them at 25-50% (~45-85 watts). No problem on the 110mile 2+ hour ride home. Looking at the max output and continuous draw requirements on the NT, it looks like at or near highway speeds (45mph +), the NT has plenty of electrical capacity. And like you said, it is pretty rare to need to run all the gear on high as it does get quite warm.:smile:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got Honda's heated grips and, at 70mph, when they're on high and I've got my Warm and Safe liner cranked up to 90W, plus my 10W (for the pair) Denalis on, and then turn on high beam, the last 55W pulls the voltage down. I don't know how many watts the grips are and I don't know how many watts a full set of Gerbing heated clothing pulls on high, but you're getting close to the limit.

But if she doesn't ride much at night or leave the high beam on, she'll be OK, especially if the heated gear isn't turned up all the way.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
A full set of Gerbings maxed out is around 165watts.

Jacket = 77
Gloves = 27
Socks = 17
Pants = 44

She doesn't ride in temps cold enough to require 100% output of the gear though. I'd say she wouldn't use more than 110watts typically based our experiences. You're right though, the heated gear is using most (if not all) of the stator's overhead.

I'd put your draw around 190 (including the high beam). From what I have seen, heated grips draw around 30-36 watts. A 90 watt jacket. Wow! I bet that thing is warm. I can't even run my Gerbing jacket (77w) at 75% without roasting!

If she wants to run her gear 100% then she will just hop on the back of the Wing and enjoy her heated seat too. :wink:

I've got Honda's heated grips and, at 70mph, when they're on high and I've got my Warm and Safe liner cranked up to 90W, plus my 10W (for the pair) Denalis on, and then turn on high beam, the last 55W pulls the voltage down. I don't know how many watts the grips are and I don't know how many watts a full set of Gerbing heated clothing pulls on high, but you're getting close to the limit.

But if she doesn't ride much at night or leave the high beam on, she'll be OK, especially if the heated gear isn't turned up all the way.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
A 90 watt jacket. Wow! I bet that thing is warm. I can't even run my Gerbing jacket (77w) at 75% without roasting!

I just upgraded to the Generation 4 Warm & Safe. The Generation 1 was 90W as well and was warm (to say the least) but the wires could get hot. Gen 4 uses a fabric that has the heating elements woven in somehow so the whole jacket heats. I've been reasonably comfortable in nothing but the jacket and a 'Stitch. The 'Stitch is not really a cold-weather garment, and was not comfortable below about 30-35F when I had my Gerbing. But with the Warm & Safe, I have to turn it down some if I wear a fleece jacket over the heated liner.

The only thing I've ridden/driven with a heated seat has been my wife's Altima. I like the heated seat OK before the car warms up, but my butt has never gotten cold on a motorcycle. Do you leave the heat turned on on (or in, as the case may be) the seat all the time? Does it make a difference for you?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I just upgraded to the Generation 4 Warm & Safe. The Generation 1 was 90W as well and was warm (to say the least) but the wires could get hot.
The only thing I've ridden/driven with a heated seat has been my wife's Altima. I like the heated seat OK before the car warms up, but my butt has never gotten cold on a motorcycle. Do you leave the heat turned on on (or in, as the case may be) the seat all the time? Does it make a difference for you?
I only run the seats when it is cool/cold out (below 60F). My wife will run her seat even if it is in the 70s. I can actually feel the heat from the rear seat on my back a bit when she has it cranked to MAX. So they can get uncomfortably hot if you run them to hot.

I've accidentally turned them on in the summer and it wasn't comfortable. I was thinking, "Gosh my bum feels awfully warm and it is only in the upper 70s". A quick look at the seat heater setting and..."DOH!!" :redface:

They (the seats) do make a big difference in the coldness of the posterior but aren't a substitute for good gear (heated or insulated) pants. I classify them as more of a luxury item. Kinda like heated grips versus heated gloves. The grips are a nice supplement to the gloves but the gloves are much warmer.

When I ride to work during the winter, its nice to let the bike warm up and to sit on a warm seat versus a cold one.

Top Bottom