nt700v Exhaust - engineering masterpiece

• Thread starter mp cycle design
  • Start date
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Compare it to a Silver Wing. Unless you are speaking literally, as in stepping over instead of through :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
You might be able to get that muffler free by dumpster diving behind the local Harley dealership. I would
venture a guess that at least half of the new H-Ds have their standard mufflers replaced before the bike ever
leaves the dealership!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Europe is very strict when it comes to changing parts that can affect the emissions. That is most likely why there is no after market exhaust system for the NT. I would like to see a dual exhaust system for the NT. IMHO dual exhausts just look a lot better. The balanced look.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Just paid $170 for labor & services to change both tires 2 days ago. It would have been $50 to changes the tires if I brought in the wheels alone, so it was $120 for labor. The cost of a good motorcycle lift table with a drop out to remove rear wheel and ability to balance motorcycle safely with no wheels on it with out dropping it (that's a deal breaker...must be stable) would be somewhere from $500 to $1000, plus the cost of tire changing tools and equipment would be.....not sure, probably $200. I've been lurking on craigslist looking for good used lift and tire changing equipment. Would rather do it mysellf just so I know it's right, but when weighing the cost of equipment needed to do it myself vs. paying shop, not that big of deal. Not thrilled with paying $170 a year (8-10K miles/year) for a shop to put on new tires, but I'm not going to save much money doing it myself.

Even with a different muffler, still need to buy a lift & tools to do a tire change at home.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Just paid $170 for labor & services to change both tires 2 days ago. It would have been $50 to changes the tires if I brought in the wheels alone, so it was $120 for labor. The cost of a good motorcycle lift table with a drop out to remove rear wheel and ability to balance motorcycle safely with no wheels on it with out dropping it (that's a deal breaker...must be stable) would be somewhere from $500 to $1000, plus the cost of tire changing tools and equipment would be.....not sure, probably $200. I've been lurking on craigslist looking for good used lift and tire changing equipment. Would rather do it mysellf just so I know it's right, but when weighing the cost of equipment needed to do it myself vs. paying shop, not that big of deal. Not thrilled with paying $170 a year (8-10K miles/year) for a shop to put on new tires, but I'm not going to save much money doing it myself.

Even with a different muffler, still need to buy a lift & tools to do a tire change at home.
Harbor Freight had a coupon in Rider Mag for its lift at $229 less than half the normal price. I was tempted but not enough space in my shed.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I used the British approach- got a 27mm wrench and left the muffler on for my first tire change. Then I had to take off the muffler when I discovered a crack that needed welding. Followed the mentioned YouTube video and discovered that it was really much easier than I thought. Last two times I've removed the rear wheel I've removed the muffler. No big deal. Any one want to buy my 27 mm wrench?

tawilke46

charlie b

Speaking of scooters, this is from an earlier post I made:

I was riding my '98 Pacific Coast one day, getting off I-10 on my way home. A kid in the back of an open top Jeep was looking back at me at the traffic light.
After a few moments with a puzzled look on his face, he asked "Is that a scooter?":doh1:
After which I replied "No this is a real motorcycle, not a scooter"
I was thinking, Damn, another person that thinks the PC is a scooter.
Then the kid asked "How fast does it go?". To which I responded "Fast enough to kill you"
The kid had nothing else to say to me after that.:rofl1:

You're right both the Silverwing and 650 Burgman are close equivalents to the NT engine wise, so if you wanted to "step" up to a motorcycle and not make too big a jump, the NT would be a logical choice.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
++1 on the CX-500.

I had an 83 Silverwing. I'm pretty sure that the Burgman 600 or the Silverwing would either one be better for long touring rides than it was: huge improvements in technology since '83.

But I really like my NT and would prefer it over any scooter I've seen. Might not drop a scooter as often as I've dropped the NT, though.

And did I hear/read/imagine that Honda is close to an upgrade on the Silverwing?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
MP, Those are two beautiful Cafe Racers. Years ago I had a 750 Norton Atlas which was modded into a Cafe Racer. I love the look and the way they handle. This winter--what's left of ot will be spent building a Cafe Racer from a Honda CB550. I hope it turns out half as good as yours.

tawilke46

REALLY? Scooter!?! I suppose I've had blinders on when looking at and riding my NT. I've ridden street bikes for 40 years and the NT just doesn't strike me as "scooter-like." At least that's what I'm going with. Well, maybe the rear view with that dropped fender. Just maybe. But not really.

I love this MOTORCYCLE more with each ride. Yes, the motor is quiet and doesn't rip the bars out of my hands, but I contend that it does NOT look like a scooter.

Geez. Now y'all have that vision emplanted in my head and it won't go away. Motorcycle, motorcycle, motorcycle!
I don't think anyone will mistake a NT700 for a scooter!
But I did get a lot of scooter comments while riding the PC800.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Just add the European Large Pannier Lids. Nothing with a butt that big could be a scooter...
And if the larger pannier lids are a different colour, you will never be mistaken for one. Mine are painted Chev HHR Metallic Black. Gives the bike a whole new look.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mine are painted Chev HHR Metallic Black. Gives the bike a whole new look.

My big lids are finally off the bike. There will come a week when it'll be warm enough in the garage to use the body filler and paint 'em.

I've got the Color-Rite Primer, Spangle Silver color coat and Clear Coat, so I'll start with those and see how spray-can paint works. (I bought a spray can handle like Alex suggested, BTW.) If I don't like that look, next will be Krylon Flat Black.

OP
OP

mp cycle design

MP, Those are two beautiful Cafe Racers. Years ago I had a 750 Norton Atlas which was modded into a Cafe Racer. I love the look and the way they handle. This winter--what's left of ot will be spent building a Cafe Racer from a Honda CB550. I hope it turns out half as good as yours.
Sailariel - I appreciate the comments. If I could make a living off building/riding cafe's I'd think I died and went heaven. I'm still looking for perfect Norton - jealous that you had one. Anyway - have fun with your build!

OP
OP

mp cycle design

OK - I guess I owe you guys some more detailed pictures - a drawing of the mid-pipe - and a short clip of the sound. I'm on the road now - but should have some time over the weekend to add some additional detail. I appreciate the comments - I do have about 2" of length to play with making the mid-pipe shorter - but I wouldn't be too excited about making another plate/bracket. When you see the detail you'll understand - the length doesn't bug me nearly that much (yet). When I first started - I was really thinking about putting together plans/parts to sell the conversion (mid-pipe/bracket/muffler) - but I don't have the type of shaping equipment necessary to make this a clean bolt-on. The main production issue if you don't cut the OEM muffler - you would have to deal with the 02 sensor and the center-stand bracket. Those 2 obstacles would drive the cost of production through the roof. It didn't take long to realize production cost would put this farkle out of range for most potential customers. If you have access to a band saw and drill press - you can do a decent job. If you have access to a mill and shaper - even better - but it will still take some finagling to insure that swing arm doesn't come in contact with the muffler bracket. If the NT didn't have the integrated side bags - it would be a much easier proposition. There just isn't anything there to bolt the muffler too.... Anyway - I've enjoyed following the other threads - lots of information - I may never need to get a shop manual...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Some of the relationship of parts such as the NT's rear axle & muffler have to do with production line realities and is not exclusive to Honda motorcycles. If you look at any modern car and most motorcycles, none were designed to be "easy to work on."

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
You don't have to remove the muffler to change the rear tire. You do have to raise the rear tire a little higher than normal, but that can be accomplished by putting a couple of 2X6's under the center stand.

You don't have to remove the muffler to change the rear tire. You do have to raise the rear tire a little higher than normal, but that can be accomplished by putting a couple of 2X6's under the center stand.
I think that the problem is getting a torque wrench onto the axle nut - there isn't much of a gap between the nut and the muffler.

Top Bottom