No tie downs on the NT luggage rack.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
This is the way I addressed the problem on no tie downs on the NT luggage rack.

My primary intent was to carry my camping gear, sleeping bag, tent and air mattress in a small duffel on the luggage rack.

I almost always carry either a small or large tail bag on the passenger seat. The logical place is to mount the duffel on the luggage rack.

I used a 12? piece of 3/16? x 3/4? of aluminum bar stock, two 8 x 40 mm button head bolts, two 5/16? x 1/4? spacers and four 8 mm flat washers, two washers each side to provide just enough clearance between the bar and the rack to slide a nylon strap underneath.

Using a four point point mounting, with two nylon belts, two points under the bar and two points on the tail bag to provides a stable mount.

Attachments

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
That is a very nice job. I am making an aluminum light bar and plan on using gun blueing to make it blend in. The stuff works well on aluminum and does not peel off.

stupidmonkey

Seeing all your guys mods really makes me wish I was close to my Dad's shop. Not having one anymore makes me sad.

Madmax

That looks good. I've only had my NT a few weeks. How do you remove the top plate on the rear???

OP
OP
coaster
Bike
That looks good. I've only had my NT a few weeks. How do you remove the top plate on the rear???
The two bolts on the luggage rack, I replaced the two existing bolts with longer bolts and added spacers to provine just enough clearance to slide a nylon strap underneath.

OP
OP
coaster
Bike
That is a very nice job. I am making an aluminum light bar and plan on using gun blueing to make it blend in. The stuff works well on aluminum and does not peel off.
I tried using Birchwood Casy Aiuminum Black to make it better blend in better with the black plastic.
But the finish turned out spotty and did not look very well, I stripped it off, the plain finish looks much better.

OP
OP
coaster
Bike
This is the way I addressed the problem on no tie downs on the NT luggage rack.

My primary intent was to carry my camping gear, sleeping bag, tent and air mattress in a small duffel on the luggage rack.

I almost always carry either a small or large tail bag on the passenger seat. The logical place is to mount the duffel on the luggage rack.

I used a 12? piece of 3/16? x 3/4? of aluminum bar stock, two 8 x 40 mm button head bolts, two 5/16? x 1/4? spacers and four 8 mm flat washers, two washers each side to provide just enough clearance between the bar and the rack to slide a nylon strap underneath.

Using a four point point mounting, with two nylon belts, two points under the bar and two points on the tail bag to provides a stable mount.
I have since simplified the design by replacing some of the hardware with two simple slots.

20230528_153934.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Looks nice. ! One of my pet peeves is luggage racks that are made inoperable from the get go. So far, I have found aftermarket sollutions.
IMG_20230601_194053858_HDR_copy_781x405.jpg
IMG_20230601_194105987_HDR_copy_952x486.jpg

Top Bottom