Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack From Twisted Throttle

My Gallery

SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack From Twisted Throttle

One of the "little" things about the NT that can be annoying is the lack of places to hook a bungee cord for carrying soft luggage or other items. The integrated turn signals and "smooth" rear end can be challenging when looking for a tie down point.

To address this I mounted the SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack on my NT today. The installation is very straight forward, the most difficult part of the install is cutting the two holes for the front spacers and bolts in the black plastic cover. I did that with a reamer and Dremel tool using a sanding drum attachment. Try to stay inside the lines Honda thoughtfully provided for their mount on the underside of the cover and it is easy... Now I have several "hard points" to attach items like my Chase Harper 4200 Hideaway Tail Trunk that I keep in my "baguette" hole in case I need extra storage...

Here are a couple of photos:

Mounted Rack

Rack with Closed Chase Harper

Rack with Open Chase Harper

Since I won't be adding a Top Box this completes my luggage farkles...at least for now...

› Site Search for: SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack From Twisted Throttle
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery
    That looks nice. Color coordinated and all.
    I am starting to think buying this motorcycle is a real stimulus for the economy most of us have been spending a bunch of money on our new sweetie.
    Karl
    2010 ABS "Jezabell"

My Gallery
    Great to see another option on that backside Wayne. Looks good as well.
    Francis
    2009 Honda Silver Wing

I have the same rack. I usually have my GIVI trunk mounted on top of it. The GIVI mount can be removed with 3 quarter-turn screws to get back to the nice flat rack in your pictures. SW-Motech makes quick mount adapters for other brands of top cases, too. Very nice product.
    His: Triumph Explorer 1200, Triumph Scrambler/DMC Sidecar, 2015 KTM Duke 390, 1982 Honda MB5. Hers: Honda CTX700, Honda Big Ruckus

My Gallery
    Here goes Igo waking up old threads again.
    I can't tell from the Twisted Throttle web site if this rack is flat between the dog ears or if it has a slight curve. Do you think it can be flipped and mounted upside down? Is there enough metal to countersink the mounting screws if it were mounted upside down? It looks like one could flip it, shorten the front spacers a tad and create a level plain between the rack and the back seat. Using an end mill to create hold down strap slots in the forward dog ears the dog ears would make a great saddle for a dry bag.
    Hmmmm. May I ask how wide this rack is at its widest approximately? Twisted throttle has a very rugged dry bag that could sock into this set up right nicely andn after machine work this could still look quite nice.
    All bikes....

I have been looking at this rack for flexibility reasons, it looks awesome to me. I think bikes with top boxes look well scooter-ish. I like the clean look opportunity this rack provides. Don't get me wrong top boxes have a needed and serve a great purpose, one of the main reasons I bought the bike was an Australian NT owners review that read something like this, "Awesome bike with the optional large Paniers and Honda top Box, one can carry four large Domino's Pizzas and a case of Corona long neck Beer". This was evidence to me this bike was ready any job or play. The NT-700V's versatility is it's greatest asset. Can someone with a Honda Top box take the box off and take photographs of the rack and base to compare to the SW-Motech GPT.01,615,100,B above in this thread please!

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery
    Dave asked, "Can someone with a Honda Top box take the box off and take photographs of the rack and base to compare to the SW-Motech GPT.01,615,100,B above in this thread please?"

Dave, look at the top of this page and, Voila!, there you go!
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 115,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by Igo View Post
    Here goes Igo waking up old threads again.

I can't tell from the Twisted Throttle web site if this rack is flat between the dog ears or if it has a slight curve. It is flat.

Do you think it can be flipped and mounted upside down? Yes

Is there enough metal to countersink the mounting screws if it were mounted upside down? No, that is why I didn't flip it when I installed it to create a "cradle". If you flip it you will need to use washers with the bolts in my opinion.

It looks like one could flip it, shorten the front spacers a tad and create a level plain between the rack and the back seat. Maybe, but you would need to bevel rear spacers as well I think. Using an end mill to create hold down strap slots in the forward dog ears the dog ears would make a great saddle for a dry bag. Hmmmm.

May I ask how wide this rack is at its widest approximately? The flat section measures 10 inches at the front, 7 inches at the rear, 8 inches from front to rear...

Twisted throttle has a very rugged dry bag that could sock into this set up right nicely and after machine work this could still look quite nice.
    See my answers in BOLD

Twisted Throttle sells this adapter plate that attaches to the above rack using 3 Quick-Loc screws.

SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate for attaching Soft Luggage

If you do decide later you want a top box, Twisted Throttle/SW Motech sells adapter plates for almost any aftermarket case. Very handy system.
    Last edited by SeattleJim; 02-06-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Tarman View Post
    Dave asked, "Can someone with a Honda Top box take the box off and take photographs of the rack and base to compare to the SW-Motech GPT.01,615,100,B above in this thread please?"

Dave, look at the top of this page and, Voila!, there you go!
    Phil that is the SW Motech plate what does the Honda plate look like was my request....
    Neat adaptor plate above if NT camping kicks off I bet we will see a bunch of those racks running around....

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast