[Review] SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack From Twisted Throttle

Igo

I'm still not sure what these spacers are or where they are. Could use a photo or two before I finish inventing my luggage rack.

elizilla

They're not spacers. They are weird rectangular nuts. Where the rack fastens to the grab rail, there are screws that go in from above. They thread into these nuts. The grab rail is actually made of plastic, so the holes in it cannot be threaded. Instead the holes go through to the underside. On the underside there are rectangular recesses that these weird nuts fit into. On one side, they have plastic finger nubbins, that create a sort of snap fit; the nuts can be placed and will stay, sorta, as long as you don't rattle them around too much when you're feeding the screws in from above.

It's simple when you see it, but you can't see it without taking the grab rails off, and it's hard to learn it by feel.

Here's a picture of one of the nuts. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the grab rail when I had it off, so I can't show you the slots they fit in.

Last edited by a moderator:

elizilla

The spacers that get lost in the bowels of the bike, are where the grab rails fasten on either side of the passenger seat. When you remove the bolts and lift the grab rail, the spacers stick in their holes just long enough to get above a crevasse, and then they let loose from the grab rail and drop.

Igo

Thank you Katherine and all. I will have to be especially care full when installing a luggage rack.
Now I question my luggage rack. The Corbin seat looks so nice and the rack is going to be rather ugly. The rack is also gong to prevent me from removing the seat unless the rack comes off first.

Igo

No. Afraid not. I don't have anything against them, I just like another method. I'm steal going to go the luggage rack route but it's going to have to get very careful consideration.

Igo

Hey Rick, do you have a .pdf file for installation instruction for your Givi?

CoolNT

Keep in mind that you don't need to take the grab rails off to put these black (plastic looking but are metal). I used a thread and pulled the nuts into place and ensured they were seated before removing the thread. And it doesn't hurt to place a rag or something in the general work area inside the bike to catch fallout's.

Igo

Also perfect Rick. Thank you.
I've got my bass metal cut and pressed. From here I can do many alterations. I just wanted to get the Corbin seat on first. Function is first but if I can form this thing to compliment the seat and motorcycle's looks I certainly will.

Igo

I'm probably going to go this route with a top box. I can't be a slave to my helmet every time I want to walk away from my motorcycle.

Igo

One of the "little" things about the NT that can be annoying is the lack of places to hook a bungee cord for carrying soft luggage or other items. The integrated turn signals and "smooth" rear end can be challenging when looking for a tie down point.

To address this I mounted the SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack on my NT today. The installation is very straight forward, the most difficult part of the install is cutting the two holes for the front spacers and bolts in the black plastic cover. I did that with a reamer and Dremel tool using a sanding drum attachment. Try to stay inside the lines Honda thoughtfully provided for their mount on the underside of the cover and it is easy... Now I have several "hard points" to attach items like my Chase Harper 4200 Hideaway Tail Trunk that I keep in my "baguette" hole in case I need extra storage...:D

Here are a couple of photos:

Mounted Rackhttp://www.flickr.com/people/wecnwise/

Rack with Closed Chase Harper http://www.flickr.com/people/wecnwise/

Rack with Open Chase Harper http://www.flickr.com/people/wecnwise/

Since I won't be adding a Top Box this completes my luggage farkles...at least for now...:rolleyes1:
The luggage rack I'm building can't be made to look anything but horrible so I did this.....

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Igo,

I haven't yet but it is on my "second level" farkle list... The nice to have but not urgent farkles...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Honda makes a Carrier Bracket P/N 08Z51-MEW-100. This is what they specify for the NT-700. The parts department will have the four pages of instructions. The price of this rack is $50.77. I'm sure your dealer can make a copy for you.

Looking at their instructions, after you take off the handrail without dropping the square nuts, They recommend using masking tape and taping the nuts in before you reinstall the hand rail.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Yes, I have been assimilated! I can now carry a duffle bag or a Top Box see the attached photos.
I refuse to go any further than the Rack and maybe a universal luggage rack some day... I have plenty of space with the large pannier lids and my soft luggage for commuting. Plus when I kick my soft luggage getting on the bike :eek1: it doesn't scuff like a hard bag would...:doh1:

For longer trips I should be able to resurrect my T-Bag left over from my Harley. I bought otbiker's Corbin Seat and have ordered a tall passenger backrest for it to allow the T-Bag to strap on and sit on my rack. If this works out I'll be done modding as far as luggage...:D

djpacholl

Quick idea for holding the square nuts and other metal spacers temporarily in place while assembling the rack . . . hot melt glue from a glue gun. It's just enough to hold everything in place until you tighten everything up.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Not a bad idea. I bought the top rack and adaptor plate and when it warms up, I will install it....I was thinking a dab of epoxy or RTV but the glue gun isnt a bad idea either.....

subgenius

Not a bad idea. I bought the top rack and adaptor plate and when it warms up, I will install it....I was thinking a dab of epoxy or RTV but the glue gun isnt a bad idea either.....
I cheaped out and just put a strip of tape over the nut to hold it in place. :smile:

Top Bottom