New Bonneville in the stable

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
The only problem my friend has with his is it can be hard to start when it's hot or been running awhile. He learned how to hold the throttle while starting and hasn't really had a problem with it since.

Oh and we can't figure out how to change the odometer to miles instead of kilometers! The manual doesn't say! LOL
Yep, I've heard about the hot starting issue on the older ones (pre-2005).

I'm not sure if his odometer works the same way, but on my Sprint's computer, if I hold down buttons 1 and 2 together for five seconds with the engine off but key on, it displays a number that can be changed by pressing button 1 (leftmost). Number 1 is Imperial gallons and miles, 2 is kilometers and liters, and 3 is US gallons and miles. Press button 2 (center) to select the new setting. Mine came set from the factory at 1, so when I first got the bike the computer kept telling me I was getting 55 mpg or so, since the imperial gallon is bigger. When I got it straightened out, my mileage suddenly dropped to around 45-47. Pressing and holding the reset button 5 seconds or more might do the trick for your friend.

Oh, and my change wasn't in the manual, either!

rcase13

:rolleyes1:
Yep, I've heard about the hot starting issue on the older ones (pre-2005).

I'm not sure if his odometer works the same way, but on my Sprint's computer, if I hold down buttons 1 and 2 together for five seconds with the engine off but key on, it displays a number that can be changed by pressing button 1 (leftmost). Number 1 is Imperial gallons and miles, 2 is kilometers and liters, and 3 is US gallons and miles. Press button 2 (center) to select the new setting. Mine came set from the factory at 1, so when I first got the bike the computer kept telling me I was getting 55 mpg or so, since the imperial gallon is bigger. When I got it straightened out, my mileage suddenly dropped to around 45-47. Pressing and holding the reset button 5 seconds or more might do the trick for your friend.

Oh, and my change wasn't in the manual, either!
LOL his is a 2012 and still has the hot start issue! LOL at least they are consistent. It's a very minor problem. It is in my opinion the best motorcycle engine ever made. If I could shoe horn it into my NT I would do it in a heartbeat.

His odometer only has one button I will have to do more research into it. I am his tech guru so it's my responsibility to figure it out... :rolleyes1:

tawilke46

Gee Dan, if you ever get tired of that Triumph.........make a ride to Louisiana..........I know a guy who may just like to add one to his garage!

Great quote Bob! oh me precious!! Must not covet, must not covet.........

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
Thanks for all the nice comments. I made the deal yesterday and they agreed to deliver it today. (Shoulder issue blah blah blah). Well they didn't show until 4:37, yes it was exactly 4:37. Talk about impatient. I was going crazy. It was just about like waiting for my children to be delivered. Well maybe harder, the wife was in charge of delivering the kids.

I should get permission to ride tomorrow at 11 am when I see the surgeon. If so, (actually if not, screw his recommendations) and if it gets above 45?, and if it isn't raining, I'll have a report tomorrow evening.

tawilke46

I used to have a "fishy" doctor. I changed doctors! Got me a better sturgeon for sure.

And, oh right, back on topic......ah, yeh, nice Bonneville Dan.

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
:rolleyes1:

LOL his is a 2012 and still has the hot start issue! LOL at least they are consistent. It's a very minor problem. It is in my opinion the best motorcycle engine ever made. If I could shoe horn it into my NT I would do it in a heartbeat.

His odometer only has one button I will have to do more research into it. I am his tech guru so it's my responsibility to figure it out... :rolleyes1:
OK...last (sort of) hijack, although Dan should pay attention, too. The ECU controls both the odometer calibration AND the cold/hot starting ignition, timing, mixtures, etc.
Since his bike should still be under warrantee, his dealer should check and reload the program as well as look for any trouble codes that have been set. It may be something as simple as the wrong program being loaded.

Lawdy, I'm showing my nerd side...must hide now...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
You did well, Dan. Congratulations!! She's a real Classic. It will take me a bit longer since I have decided to scrap the Cafe Racer notion and restore the 550 to its original condition--except that it will be green with gold pin stripes. The "Parts 550 " will become a Cafe Racer. I can see us motoring around Bangor on our classics--Life is good.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have been wanting one of those since before I even knew what an NT was! Beautiful. Congratulations. These and the Moto Guzzi V7 really interest me.

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
I looked at the V7. Guzzi dealers are even more rare than Triumph dealers in my neck of the woods. Also, the Bonneville puts out considerably more power and that swayed me. I put about 25 miles on it so far. The torque really impresses me. Also it's very responsive when you twist the throttle. Looks like sunny weather and highs in the low 60s today so I'll probably do some more "testing" today.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
the bonneville's sure are beautiful. big congrats dan....i bet you cannot WAIT to get behind the bars of that thing!

i have to say i also love the colors of their upcoming steve mcqueen edition:

skiper

my high school auto shop teacher had a bonne gold & white with race cams... blurp blurp blurp. so fine - everyone wanted it. woodhouse , did you get the new one ?

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Sweet. Looks like the Bonnie I bought back in 1970 after watching "Easy Rider."

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
Skiper,

My plan was to buy a new Bonneville SE, Pacific blue and white. The practicality of the tubeless tires on the mag wheel Bonnies appealed to me, as did the 17" wheels up front. However, when I went in to get one they had just taken in a 2011 Bonneville T-100, green and white, with a few extras. It had only 804 miles on it, not even broken it yet. The price was right as the first owner had taken all the depreciation. It has over 5000 miles on it now.

So the question is, how do I like it so far. I absolutely love it, to the point that the NT sits in the garage most of the time. I only jump on the NT in specific situations, long rides (usually multiple day rides) or when I have a load to transport.

So why keep the NT?

1) Far superior protection from the elements. The fairing and windshield are great. The wind deflectors really help keep the hands warm and with my heated grips the riding season is extended quite a bit and in Maine that's an issue.

2) NT is more comfortable on long rides.

3) NT handles better and the Bonnie handles pretty dang good. I didn't appreciate how good the handling was on the NT until I got the Bonnie. The NT handles much more like a sport bike, much more flickable.

4) If I have to carry something I take the NT. The Bonnie is pretty much stock. I do have some luggage that's good for a weekend trip, but not much else. I have a bungee net I used to strap my backpack (with computer in it) to the seat for commutes. But the Bonnie doesn't do me much good if I'm going to the grocery store.

5) Two up riding. The wife prefers to ride her on bike most of the time, but occasionally likes to ride pillion and see the sights without having to focus on the road.

So for now, I'm still in the NT fold and will probably stay for some time to come. However, the Bonneville is sure fun to ride and damn I look good on it!

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours,
Have you still got that center stand? LOL

While cleaning out the garage I found a center stand kit that never made it on to my Bonneville...:rolleyes1: If anyone needs one let me know...[/QUOTE]

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Have you still got that center stand? LOL
Yep, it is stuck over in a corner in my eclectic assortment of HonasakiYamazukiTriBMW-Davidson parts. I had a 2001 Bonnie that it was bought for so you may want to confirm fitment. I'll be glad to clean out a bit more space so if you are interested PM me...

Top Bottom