Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Software upgrade

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Forum Software upgrade

I'm probably going to upgrade the site software some time today so you may see it turned off at some point, it shouldn't take long.
    Don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff"

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Re: Forum Software upgrade

Okay, that wasn't too bad.. there may be some slight issues with how mods work on this version so please post if you see anything strange..

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    I'm probably going to upgrade the site software some time today so you may see it turned off at some point, it shouldn't take long.
    The ability to highlight text and have the "Quote" box automatically pop up isn't working. The Reply With Quote button in the lower right corner is still working...
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
    The ability to highlight text and have the "Quote" box automatically pop up isn't working. The Reply With Quote button in the lower right corner is still working...
    The iQuote is a mod that doesn't work with the new software...

The things we lost are listed below, you have to give up some things when you keep the base software up to date, it sux as you get used to them but most of the popular mods are kept up to date:

- iQote will not work with the newest version
    - Member map is a security risk and a very old mod that shouldn't have worked with the version we were running
    - unread post count at the upper right will not work with the current style
    - sub-forum alignment in the forum section is back to the default instead of 3 near columns, I'm working on that one
    - there may be some other things, I'm still testing the base functions so when I'm done with that I'll concentrate on the smaller mods.

The What's New tab is what you can use to get your 'new/unread posts', it's the same thing basically.

I uploaded a style that has a bit more of a professional look .. some will like it and some won't, please give it some time to wear on you and you may get used to it.

Sorry for any incontinence, sometimes you have to break an egg to make hard boiled.. no wait, that's not it......

My Gallery

The things we lost are listed below, you have to give up some things when you keep the base software up to date, it sux as you get used to them but most of the popular mods are kept up to date:

- Member map is a security risk and a very old mod that shouldn't have worked with the version we were running
    - sub-forum alignment in the forum section is back to the default instead of 3 near columns, I'm working on that one
    - there may be some other things, I'm still testing the base functions so when I'm done with that I'll concentrate on the smaller mods.

The What's New tab is what you can use to get your 'new/unread posts', it's the same thing basically.

I uploaded a style that has a bit more of a professional look .. some will like it and some won't, please give it some time to wear on you and you may get used to it.

Sorry for any incontinence, sometimes you have to break an egg to make hard boiled.. no wait, that's not it......
    Is there a chance that some or all of these may make a return at some point? And what was gained in this process?

I'm not complaining, just wondering.
    Ken
    Ken All bikes (1968-Present)
    2010 Red NT700--Ravishing Rhonda, the Spanish Honda

My Gallery

Wow! I like the red color. Sort of the "faster" color and better than silver, eh?
    Last edited by tawilke46; 05-08-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    TIM WILKES
    2010 NT700V "PhaNTom" #1470
    2009 DL650 Wee (Phantom II)
    Vietnam Veterans of America Life Member
    NT Only

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    Is there a chance that some or all of these may make a return at some point? And what was gained in this process?

I'm not complaining, just wondering.
    Ken
    Yes, it's possible. Just depends on when the programmers that put them together have the time to update the mods. Some are just simple updates but some are complete re-writes. I have the tagged and I'm subscribed to them so whenever someone posts an update I get a notification and will apply it.

As for what is gained, if we stay current with the base software we stay current w/security updates and base software fixes. The mods are nice to have but they don't make the software work, they are just sprinkles on top of the cupcake.. I just upgraded the cupcake and there may be more up-to-date sprinkles that will make the site even better.

My Gallery

Love the 2010 Bloom Red Mellow. Awesome job. Site really looks great.

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Actually, it's Red and Silver.

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

So if all this STuff does not work. What is the advantage to the new software? Change for the sake of change?
    Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001 NTOC#854
    14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)14 DL650[I] (Wee II) 17 VX300 Versys (Little Gray Bike)
    https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast