New Trophy touring bike

tawilke46

Some of the folks making comments in this article sure did not like "Japanese" motorcycles, now did they?
Especially since a lot of them aren't made in Japan, but in other countries.

OP
OP
KazooST
Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Some of the folks making comments in this article sure did not like "Japanese" motorcycles, now did they?
Especially since a lot of them aren't made in Japan, but in other countries.
I have always scratched my head a bit over comments like the ones you refer to. I used to get razzed over riding my Gold Wing, but all of the GL's were being built in Marysville, Ohio. My Subaru was built in Indiana. Personally, given an unlimited budget, there are about 30 bikes I would enjoy owning, and wouldn't really care if it came from England, Italy, Japan, Germany or the U.S. I have owned a couple of Harleys and doubt if I'll have another - not because I hate Harleys, but because they don't fit the kind of riding I like.

I got a ride on Katherine's NT before she sold it, and it felt like a bike I could put some seriously long and happy miles on. The new Trophy would definitely be one I would be checking out if I were in the market for another maxi-tourer. The V-strom and the Tiger are WAY fun rides, and I imagine the Super Ten is also. The Bonneville feels like an all-rounder is supposed to feel, IMHO. I could go on and on...

I think that if your bike puts a smile on your face when you see it in the morning, and you crack another smile when you get done with a ride, then you have the right bike for you.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
Even though I've never owned one, I'm a little partial to Triumphs, I even have the triumph rain suit. I am definitely taking one out for a spin when it hits the local dealer.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Here's the link to the latest spyshot.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2012/May/may1012-finished-triumph-trophy-spied/Triumph/TROPHY-1200/_/R-EPI-136283

It may just be the camera angle, but that looks like one of the biggest trunks I have ever seen.:eek1:

Also looks like it comes complete with duct tape to ease your farkle-mounting worries.:rolleyes:
I must say there is definatly a lot of cargo space but the top box looks like a eliphant riding on a hound dog, and the bags look as ugly as the new goldwings, They have no resemblance to a true triumph to me, the replica copies of the old one are beautiful while tis thing is pure ugly to my eyes.

Hidding my head and running!
Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I must say there is definatly a lot of cargo space but the top box looks like a eliphant riding on a hound dog, and the bags look as ugly as the new goldwings, They have no resemblance to a true triumph to me, the replica copies of the old one are beautiful while tis thing is pure ugly to my eyes.

Hidding my head and running!
Eldon
Heck, all trunks look like warts. Bags aren't much better. About the only ones I like are the Gold Wings and HD's. The ADV cases are better looking than most other bags/trunks.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Part of the announcement on this link: http://www.webbikeworld.com/triumph-motorcycles/2013-triumph-trophy/ is about this exciting feature: The Triumph Dynamic Luggage System helps maintain chassis balance by decoupling the mass from the chassis allowing each pannier to move up to a 5 degree arc therefore optimizing stability and refinement.

Sounds like Triumph is stealing features from the NT, offering the factory option of a moving trunk.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The overall looks just don't say 'sleek' to me. I think Honda does a much better job of exterior styling than just about any other bike manufacturer. The FJR is a nice 'looking' bike.

The stats are nice though, nice weight, good range, great power and everything is layed out well. I bet it's a very nice ride. So, looks aren't everything, just ask Wayne.. LOL :rofl1:

Aw, man look at the fine print. Bet the thing sells for 20k and limited availablity. Pity.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
From one of the many links "Our estimations put the pricing around ?14,000 for the entry-level Trophy". Thats $21800, and the US doesn't get the entry level, so for a few dollors more.....

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Very True Rick, and I am sure there will be those who like it whichis fine, but I know for sure that version will most probably have a stall in my garage

LOL, I used to think the Honda RUNE was the ugliest motorcycle in the world , now it has a competature for that title, but each to his own.

Eldon

elizilla

From one of the many links "Our estimations put the pricing around ?14,000 for the entry-level Trophy". Thats $21800, and the US doesn't get the entry level, so for a few dollors more.....
Bikes tend to cost substantially less here than in other countries. It could come in cheaper than you think.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
It sure doesn't look as sleek as the competition it is aiming for or even an NT for that matter. I would guess a minimum of 20K USD. I read several articles on it and not one mentioned MPG. I am guessing 30mpg around town and 40-42 hwy.

Maybe it is just me, but since I have had a three cars that did better than 40 MPG on the highway, I feel like any motorcycle I drive should get at least 50mpg. Part of the reason I bought the NT. It gets worse city mileage than I expected but it meets my expectations on highway trips.

I would have trouble spending the money on that triumph if it is around 20K and has trouble getting 40mpg. Sounds silly to be practical about such an emotional purchase, but you have to draw your lines somewhere. :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I like it as much as any of the big touring bikes. If the cost is close to the beemer boxers then they will lose out. If they keep the cost lower then they have a fighting chance.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I had the opportunity to see the Trophy "in person" today. If it wasn't 22? out I'm sure the salesman would have let me take it out for a spin.

It's a good looking bike. I threw a leg over and sat down. I was amazed at how light it felt for a 662 pound bike. A lot of thought went into the design of that bike.

I really like the look of the new Street Triple with the 675cc in line three cylinder engine. Then I remembered how old I was.

Top Bottom