[Review] Laminar Lip for Honda NT700V

Bike
Silver NT700V
Here is a quick review of the latest farkle. The Laminar Lip is an air foil that mounts over the upper portion of the stock windscreen. It produces a laminar air flow that redirects air upward and removes most turbulence. The device is simple, with no moving parts and mounts using 3M Duo Lock tape.

Link http://www.laminarlip.com/

Customer Service was outstanding. I have had two dealings with Laminar Lip. I ordered one for my first bike. Due to my seating configuration, the lip threw its air flow into my face creating a deafening roar. I was able to call Laminar Lip, receive a return authorization and return the product. This time, I decided on Saturday night to check their site to see if there was a lip for the NT. There was, so I placed and order. The lip arrived on Wednesday, three days from California to Texas.

I installed the lip Friday night. Installation is very simple, requiring no tools. The standard mount uses 3M Duo Lock tape. You need a VERY clean surface for the adhesive to work properly. Laminar supplies an alcohol pad to clean the mounting sites. While I was at it, I used a generous amount of 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean and degrease the entire screen. The lip is shaped specifically for the NT wind screen so getting it properly located was easy. Just peel the backing from the Duo Lock and press into place firmly to squeeze out all the air. Let cure overnight and you are ready to ride.

I took a 120 mile test ride today. I could tell as soon as I reached street speeds that the device would work well and reduce nice and turbulence. At 70 mph on a straight road with no traffic, the effect was very close to the "cone of silence" effect. It was amazing. I had not really had any complaint about the stock screen, figuring some mild buffeting and noise were just part of the game. With the Lip, the buffet and most of the noise were gone. It was very much more comfortable. I can tell that this will reduce overall fatigue on longer rides.

Of course, pics or it didn't happen.

Side view.

Rider view.

Quarter view.

Frontal view.

For those still looking for a wind management solution, the Laminar Lip, at $97 shipped, is worth a look.

Edit: I rode with the screen in position 3 (middle) for two days this week. Speeds varied from 20 to 70+. There was some wind sound because the flow just grazes the top of my helmet in that position. There was no buffeting, just a clean flow. It was a little cooler than position 4, a consideration now that we are getting 100 degree days with 80 - 90% humidity.

Keep the shiny side up and the wind under control,

Chuck

Last edited:
Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
This seems like the most economical solution I've seen so far. I also have no complaints about the stock screen, but a "cone of silence" sure would be nice on long rides!

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Nice looking installation Chuck, sound's like it resolved the buffeting problem for you. I've tried one of their products on a scooter I have, not wild about how it looks but it seems to have helped a little. I wish it was adjustable like the MRA-Variable I have on my Ninja as I think it might work better with Honda's changing angle of attack when you reposition it. Have you noticed any changes in how it works when you move the windshield or do you always ride with it in the same place?

LL75

Attachments

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
So far, one day, I've only used it in position 4 (1 down from the top). That is where I normally keep the screen. I'll experiment some this week on the commutes to see what it does. Generally, I run with the screen in position 4 and sometimes 5 (top).

Bike
2010 NT700V
I have a Lip on my 2009 Yamaha Majesty. Works great there also.
By the way, if you ask at time of order, they will include 4 bolts, nuts and rubber spacers to permanently mount the Lip. I have the kit, but have not used it yet. The sticky velcro mounts are working fine after two years.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
I added an edit to the original post about riding with the screen in a different position.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Anyone here that has had both a Cee Bailey & a Laminer Lip? A comparison may interesting. Flip vs Lip?

tawilke46

Good looking installation Chuck.
Is the double screen in your view bothersome or distort? Just curious.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
On my recent X country trip I notice that if I dropped my helmit about 4 inches with my stock wind shield I entered the "cone of silence" and wind noise and buffiting stopped. I loved that! was going to get a Cee Baily + 4" but this looks like a less expensive option. But- Does it provide the COS as good as the Cee Baily?
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Couple of questions I'll try to answer.

Is the double screen in your view bothersome or distort? Just curious. So far I have not had a problem. In position 4 the whole thing is just below my main field of vision. In other words, I am looking just over the screen. If I look at something through the Lip, the Lip is noticeable. I was a bit annoying at first but I got used to it quickly, say 30 minutes. In position 3 I look well over the Lip.

A question.....if you set it so you are looking over the top of the "LIP" does it put you in a quiet zone and let the bugs go over your helmet? So fer, both of the positions I have tried allow me to look over the Lip. The quiet zone in more noticeable in the higher position 4. The flow does not touch my helmet at all. In position 3, the flow from the Lip just touches the front of my helmet well above the visor. Bugs will get caught in it the same as they do with the stock screen only. I get bugs on the out side and inside of the screen. The "bugginess" was not bad on my test ride, mostly gnats and a few large yellow things

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
This note is just an FYI for anyone thinking about the Cee Bailey in the + 2 size, I just installed mine and one of the things that surprised me is it's no wider than the stock Honda screen. The curvature at the top does a fair job of moving the air stream up but the same amount of wind still finds its way around the sides. It's a nice product and I think it's worth having, just wanted to mention about the width thing.

Overall I think I like it better than the Laminar Lip and it's probably a push between it and the Vario screen.

Oh, one other thing, I ordered mine in clear rather than one of the tints which turned out to be a good decision for night riding. Downward visibility is unimpeded and I like that a lot.

LL75 :)

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
This note is just an FYI for anyone thinking about the Cee Bailey in the + 2 size, I just installed mine and one of the things that surprised me is it's no wider than the stock Honda screen.
My Cee Bailey +4 is ~.25" wider than the +2 at the widest point, and ~.5" wider at the start of the flip. The flipped portion is longer on the +4.

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
The laminar lip works well for me on the stock windshield. I recommend this as a first low cost option if you are not satisfied with the stock windshield performance.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For the first year I had a Laminar Lip attached to my standard NT windscreen. The Laminar Lip was for a PC800 so the curvature was not perfect and it was too wide. I did trim the edges so it was the correct width and added angle adapters on each side so the hook & loop pads would work. I always fitted the Laminar Lip so its top edge was flush with the top of my windshield so I'd only see one edge, not two. Some may not be bothered by seeing two edges which is fine to me.

Anyhow, that setup was completely fine and I changed to a Cee Bailey out of curiosity. The Cee Bailey has never offered the large still air pocket of the standard windshield + Laminar Lip although the additional width of the Cee Bailey helps mostly on my arms and shoulders. In the rain, the Laminar Lip's upward airflow caused any raindrops to fly over the top of my helmet where the Cee Bailey often focused the drops right at my helmet shield. Of course the solution in the rain with the Cee Bailey is to raise it higher but I dislike looking through the windshield.

The MRA Variable is interesting but it's fairly pricey. In spite of that it may be the best solution since it can be adjusted.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For the first year I had a Laminar Lip attached to my standard NT windscreen. The Laminar Lip was for a PC800 so the curvature was not perfect and it was too wide. I did trim the edges so it was the correct width and added angle adapters on each side so the hook & loop pads would work. In the past, I always fitted the Laminar Lip so its top edge was flush with the top of my windshield so I'd only see one edge, not two. Some may not be bothered by seeing two edges which is fine to me.

Anyhow, that setup was completely fine and I changed to a Cee Bailey out of curiosity. The Cee Bailey has never offered the large still air pocket of the standard windshield + Laminar Lip although the additional width of the Cee Bailey helps mostly on my arms and shoulders. In the rain, the Laminar Lip's upward airflow caused any raindrops to fly over the top of my helmet where the Cee Bailey often focused the drops right at my helmet shield. Of course the solution in the rain with the Cee Bailey is to raise it higher but I dislike looking through the windshield.

The MRA Variable is interesting but it's fairly pricey. In spite of that it may be the best solution since it can be adjusted.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Glad to see some others are trying this simple item.

Dirt Flier, do you think the 'Lip would work better with the top edges aligned, or like I have it, with the lip slightly higher than the MC screen? Seeing the double edge does not bother me.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
For the first year I had a Laminar Lip

The MRA works great. I have one on my Wee and I had one on the NT until the garage door took it off the bike when raised up on the lift the other week. Yes they are a bit pricey but they look great and work great. I like the tinted version and I have another one on order from Twisted Throttle for the NT. It is a quality product.
Hope to get it by the beginning of March.

Last edited:
Top Bottom