[Review] Laminar Lip for Honda NT700V

paulh

put one of these on my screen too. Different positions make it a very good piece of equipment.

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Anybody have feedback on how, if at all, it changes wind flow for the pillion position? Good or bad.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...do you think the 'Lip would work better with the top edges aligned, or like I have it, with the lip slightly higher than the MC screen? Seeing the double edge does not bother me...Chuck]

That's difficult to say with any certainty but one would think that slightly higher would be better.

The details and how I did it are now fuzzy but I adjusted the angle on my Laminar Lip to provide more updraft. I taped three, short strips of orange yarn to the top edge of the lip, equally spaced and tried it at different angles via spacers of different thickness. I got on the interstate and rode north for 9-miles then turned around and tried in the other direction to eliminate the effects of wind - 65 mph on both directions. I did that three times until I found a position where the yarn was almost vertical - thereby maximizing the still air pocket around my head and shoulders. That shield + Laminar Lip was amazing in the rain as I could see the rain drops flying OVER my helmet. :)

I'm now using a +2 Cee Bailey without mods and it could use some help but my priorities have been elsewhere.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Okay - I need to resurrect this thread.

As mentioned elsewhere, I've gone through three Cee Bailey +6s. I'm looking for something new that doesn't keep cracking and/or breaking.

The National Cycle V-Stream looks very good, though I'll need to find out if it will fit my bike. I have two large LED auxiliary lights mounted between the windshield and mirror mounts. I know the V-Stream will not fit in the lowest position, but might in Notch 4 or higher.

However, as Chuck 500 just reminded me, I might think about the Laminar Lip. I still have my OEM screen, so that would save a few bucks.

A couple of thoughts - and if anyone can chime in answers, thanx.

• I have Helibar risers installed, which puts me up quite high. (They are 2 1/2 inches back, and three inches up) plus I have a Russell Day Long saddle for another inch. On top of the stock screen, will the Lip work for someone who is six foot tall?
  • The stock screen is not as wide as the Cee Bailey. At first glance, that seems like a bad thing, but I don't do much winter riding and having the wind hit my shoulders might not be such a bad thing. In the hot summer, that could direct more air into the vents of my jacket.
  • I haven't heard of any OEM screens breaking or cracking. As far as I know, they are acrylic like the Cee Bailey. Since I had a +6 Cee Bailey, and that brand is also wider, I can see there is a lot of extra area to put strain on the screen near the mounting points. Have any of you heard of the OEM screen cracking with the Laminar Lip attached?

Any other ideas out there?

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Doug,

I put one on the FJR touring windshield and Ilove it, I alsoput one on the crf 250 windshield from CRG ONLY. It is great on both.

I don't know if there is specificly one being made for the Stock NT shield so someone else will have to chime in on what they got. I am inclined to think the one for the FJR stock shileld would be close, Or possibly the generic, Before you call them you might want to have the measurements of your stock windshield particularly the side to side measurements fruom the inside of the stock shieldedge to edge. I believe the ;ip does give every bit of the C baily and perhaps better. my cost on both was just under $100.00 including freight,

Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Doug,

I put one on the FJR touring windshield and Ilove it, I alsoput one on the crf 250 windshield from CRG ONLY. It is great on both.

I don't know if there is specificly one being made for the Stock NT shield so someone else will have to chime in on what they got. I am inclined to think the one for the FJR stock shileld would be close, Or possibly the generic, Before you call them you might want to have the measurements of your stock windshield particularly the side to side measurements fruom the inside of the stock shieldedge to edge. I believe the ;ip does give every bit of the C baily and perhaps better. my cost on both was just under $100.00 including freight,

Eldon
They make them for the stock windshield, Eldon - Chuck500 rides with one on his stock shield.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
In that case go for it and I think it should work well for you, mine have taken sbout two buisnes days after I odered. I would speculate three for you or four at the most.

eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Doug, did yo go for the Laminar Lip?
Yep, I did. I'm in Lamar, Colorado, right now on the way to Spearfish, getting coffee. Seems to be working fine. Hard to clean the bugs out from the edges where the lip meets the windshield.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I would suggest if you use a lip, to get some license plate plastic screws with chrome caps. I had one come loose on my R100RT and installed the nice looking black plastic screws with chrome caps. I only hand tighten screws, and new it was secure even in a big rain storm.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I would suggest if you use a lip, to get some license plate plastic screws with chrome caps. I had one come loose on my R100RT and installed the nice looking black plastic screws with chrome caps. I only hand tighten screws, and new it was secure even in a big rain storm.
Thanx for that. The lip came with screws and directions.

If I use the screws, can I dismount the lip to clean under it, then remount?

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
For cleaning under mine I just work a cloth into the space. I have never had mine come loose (not that it can't happen). After three years or so the glue on the Duo-Locks started to deteriorate. I ordered some more from Laminar Lip and remounted them. I personnaly prefer not to have to drill holes in my windshield.

Top Bottom