Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Denali LED Driving Lights

My Gallery

Installing Denali LED Driving Lights

I installed the Twisted Throttle Denali LED Driving Lights on my ST1300 and really love them. Because they are LED, they draw very little current, but they are very bright making a big difference in lighting up the road. The bright white they produce makes my ST much more visible but not enough to annoy other drivers as I rarely get flashed.

For the ST1300, I bought a set of brackets from MCL for mounting driving lights below the mirror.

The headlight on the NT has always appeared weak so I looked at various options for instally the Denalis on the NT. I could mount them to the front fender like Phil with the advantage that that the lights would then pint in the same direction as my front wheel, but they would be unshocked so the vibration could reduce their life. A second option would be to use the radiator mount that is sold in Europe. I didn't like this position as I think the lights would get very dirty quickly. I also have hyperlites already mounted on the front fender so wanted to get the Denalis higher on the bike. Katherine has a good option to mount them above the mirrors but I was concerned about the extra wind noise.

So I decided to try something different and built a mounting bracket that I planned to bolt through the front fender below the headlight.

The bracket was made out of four pieces of flat aluminium stck. The main bar that would hold the lights is 1/4" thick and is about 11" long. Bolted to that are two 1/8" thick plates that are about 3.5" long. The fourth piece is a 1/8" thick stiffener that would go behind the front fender. I just used a hacksaw to cut the aluminium, a drill to make all the holes and a flat file and grinders on a Dremel tool to do the construction.

To do the installation I removed the tupperware from the LHS side of the NT, and was able to remove the front fender from below the headlight. The stiffener plate blocks the holes for the OEM horn but I had already installed a Nautilus/Stebel horn so this was not a concern.

Rather than use the switch that comes with the Denalis, I installed a three accessory switch unit that mounts on top of the clutch/brake reservoir. This would be used to control the Hyperlites, the Denalis and a future anti-RV mini-gun.

For the electrical hookup I use the relay provided by Denali to run the high power from the battery, with the low power side going through a switched circuit on my Fuzeblock.

Here are how the lights look:

Here are how they perform in daylight. Headlight (low beam) only:

Headlight (low beam) and Hyperlites:

Headlight (low beam) Hyperlites and Denalis:

Headlight (high beam) Hyperlites and Denalis:

Here is a link to all the pictures from the installation.

Here is a Video of how the Denalis perform at night.
    Last edited by amorley; 01-14-2011 at 01:57 AM.
    Andy
    My ride is a 2005 ST1300A but I look after (aka farkle) Kathy's 2010 NT700VA (#23).
    We enjoy riding with my son, James (morleyjc) on his 2006 ST1300A

My Gallery
    Andy,

That is a great mounting! I have my "nose tupperware" apart now installing a set of Clearwater Krista Lights in a similar configuration...
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery
    Andy, What a great mount! I decided that the fender mounting probably would not compromise the longevity of the Denalis since they don't have filaments to get vibrated and broken. But I really like where that is. I might have to try it. Thanks for sharing your brilliance (pun intended).
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery
    Andy, these look totally awesome. I think I'd probably want to go this path since they're mounted unobtrusively, draw minimal wattage (10w I think?) though I may want to go a step further and have them black powder coated. First off, I guess you'd need the appropriate equipment to work (cut, drill, etc.) with aluminum - I suppose that the bracket is aluminum. Secondly, do you know of a place in the area that could powder coat?
    Last edited by CoolNT; 01-09-2011 at 09:36 PM.
    Ron
    Motorcycle enthusiast

Andy
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolNT View Post
    Andy, these look totally awesome. I think I'd probably want to go this path since they're mounted unobtrusively, draw minimal wattage (10w I think?) though I may want to go a step further and have them black powder coated. First off, I guess you'd need the appropriate equipment to work (cut, drill, etc.) with aluminum - I suppose that the bracket is aluminum. Secondly, do you know of a place in the area that could powder coat?
    Ron,

I bought the aluminium bars at Home Depot and just used a hacksaw to cut it. Hand file to smooth off the cuts. Power to make the holes and a Dremel tool to file away. I did use Blue Loctite on all the nuts and bolts to stop it coming apart.

I thought of powder coating it black but as the bike is silver, I decided to leave it. Maybe one of the vendors on the forum will see it and come up with professional solution.

I don't know anywhere locally that does powder coating.

My Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by amorley View Post
    Ron,

I bought the aluminium bars at Home Depot and just used a hacksaw to cut it. Hand file to smooth off the cuts. Power to make the holes and a Dremel tool to file away. I did use Blue Loctite on all the nuts and bolts to stop it coming apart.

I thought of powder coating it black but as the bike is silver, I decided to leave it. Maybe one of the vendors on the forum will see it and come up with professional solution.

I don't know anywhere locally that does powder coating.
    To drill holes in an aluminum bar, did you mean to state a power drill? What type of drill bits do you need for aluminum? I guess carbide type? If powder coating can't be done locally, I would think some spray paint off the shelf i.e. Rustoleum, etc.?

Andy
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
    Andy,

That is a great mounting! I have my "nose tupperware" apart now installing a set of Clearwater Krista Lights in a similar configuration...
    Wayne,

One of the reasons I like the Denalis is that they are not too bright to bother other traffic, so I can leave them on all the time. I have them angled down enough that the white light is very visible but not blinding. That is on my ST. We'll have to see how they work out in practice on the NT.

Andy
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Tarman View Post
    Andy, What a great mount! I decided that the fender mounting probably would not compromise the longevity of the Denalis since they don't have filaments to get vibrated and broken. But I really like where that is. I might have to try it. Thanks for sharing your brilliance (pun intended).
    Thanks Phil!

I was worried that just mounting it to the tupperware would not be rigid enough but the stiffener plate solved that.

I have some cheap $40 Optiplex fog lights mounted on the fender of my ST. I was hoping they would be destroyed by the vibration so I could replace them with another set of Denalis with the fog light lens. No luck yet!

Ohh, and I did play around with mounting multiple Denalis side by side....

...but decided that the LEO's might object

My Gallery
    Andy, can you elaborate on the brake reservoir switch? Is this part of the kit or extra you purchased?

Andy
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolNT View Post
    Andy, can you elaborate on the brake reservoir switch? Is this part of the kit or extra you purchased?
    It was an extra purchase. You can order them online from WingStuff using the link I included, or you can buy them from Texas Cycle Chrome near the Spec's at the end of Jones Road

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast