Black Hills Riding at the National Rally

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
For those not familiar with the Black Hills, this site/map have some great routes on them.

http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/home/planyourtrip/maps/sdbhprintmap

You can hit Custer State Park - many times you have to stop and let a heard of Buffalo go by.

Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse are all pretty easy day rides.

Devil's Tower is also a very short ride as well.

Just wanted to throw that out there for those attending the National Rally.

Note:
I do not organize group rides. I don't care for group rides that are larger than 3-4 bikes. So, I would prefer folks get a small group together and discuss where they want to go and what time and break into smaller groups if necessary. There is tourist traffic and on some of the roads lots of pedestrian and bicycle traffic especially as you get close to noon and the afternoon hours. All of that makes keeping a large group together just about impossible so a smaller group works best in my opinion.

It's always best to try and get an early start. We've been blessed with great weather the past few years but might get warm in the afternoon so stay hydrated.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The "warm in the afternoon" thing seems to be a given if you get out of the Hills.

Some of us are going to do a ride to tick ND off our maps one of the days.

I agree about ride sizes, especially in the Hills. More than four or five's too many.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
The "warm in the afternoon" thing seems to be a given if you get out of the Hills.

Some of us are going to do a ride to tick ND off our maps one of the days.

I agree about ride sizes, especially in the Hills. More than four or five's too many.
I'm interested in ND and Montana on my map. This trip out west will take care of a lot of states but it would be good to get a few more from Spearfish.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It'll make about a 400 mile day, but won't be too hard.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I like your map and idea of small groups. More than 3 bikes gets to be a pain, especially if they haven't ridden a lot together. But I've had my best rides on days when I had absolutely no destination and all day to get there. I'm really looking forward to the (what looks like a micro-rally). I was in that area a couple years ago, but didn't do the tourist thing. Just blew through. This should be fun.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I would love to ride in that area. But, the 1650 miles each way makes it impossible to fit in my schedule. One day...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Jeff, "One day" is the key phrase in your message. And you're right, it's only a little more than one day from Richmond to Spearfish. So, take a week's vacation, do a BBG to Spearfish and back and you'll have four days with us in the Hills. :hat3:

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Jeff, "One day" is the key phrase in your message. And you're right, it's only a little more than one day from Richmond to Spearfish. So, take a week's vacation, do a BBG to Spearfish and back and you'll have four days with us in the Hills. :hat3:
Phil, that is ever-so-tempting, but I just returned from a 9 day tour of New England (just posted ride report). The rest of my vacation time for the year is booked for family trips. Maybe my "one day" will be next year's trip.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I was kidding, Jeff. And when I read your ride report, I could tell that you had a good reason for not making it to Spearfish this year. We'll miss you, though.

Top Bottom