[Review] Healtech GIPRO DS Gear indicator installed

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Wow, I did a nice farkle today after reading some other posts about it. I installed the Healtech GIpro DS gear indicator (GPDS-H01). It was fairly easy -- otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do it.

Thanks to Katherine and others, I was able to locate the DLC connector on the left side in front of the battery. It was covered with black electrical tape and had a red cap on it. I cut the tape to free the connector, removed the cap, and the unit plugged right in. I pondered where to put it, and finally decided to place it right in the middle of the gauge cluster. Just for the heck of it, I followed the instructions in the NT owner's manual to remove the left fairing pocket so I could route the wire through there and not have it hanging down where you can see it, and also not have to worry about it rubbing anything as the handlebars are turned back and forth. I'm still new to the NT, so I thought it would be good practice for me to remove some of the tupperware anyway. I also dremeled a little slot in the dash trim for the wire. The trim can be bent away from the "glass" far enough to slip the unit up from behind. Following the instructions that came with the unit, it took just a couple minutes to have it "learn" the gears. In the end, it was a pretty clean install, and I like it. It takes only a fraction of a second to display the gear after shifting. The only minor downside is that since Honda motorcycles don't provide a gear position sensor, it will only show the gear when the engine is running and the clutch is released. Still, it's pretty cool. And it works.

In some of the pictures, it looks off-center, but that's only because the reflection of my shirt made the picture look funny if I took it straight on. When sitting on the bike, it is actually dead center between the two buttons, as you can see in the 2nd picture. Looks great if I do say so myself.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
looks great! i should have dremeled a hole for the wire like you did...makes it look much cleaner. i stuck mine on the lower part of the tach, and went with the blue color. at any rate, congrats on a clean farkle!

maverick1062a

Nice install and post. A quick question for readers. The manual lists NT700 ( Deauville) 2006-2010. Having a 2011, is there much difference ? I would think the 2010s can't be that much different in electrical components.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'd be willing to bet a goodly chunk of change that there is absolutely no (zero, zip, nada) difference in the wiring of a '10 and an '11 NT.

I may be wrong, but I'd really be surprised if there's any difference other than body color.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I would say compare part numbers using fiche... in 2008 Honda made some changes to the ST1300, some subtle and some not... the ecu changed and various other parts. Pre-2008 ST's would need a lot of wire splicing to get the Gear Indicator to work... 2008 and newer bikes, you just plug into the diagnostics connector.

Honda never 'announced' any changes so it wasn't obvious until some of the 2008 and newer bikes were looked at more closely by members.

I have one installed on my 2011 ABS and it works great. So nice to just glance at it to find out what gear you are in . . . which some of us old pharts can't remember more than a few seconds.

OP
OP
Pick
Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I have one installed on my 2011 ABS and it works great. So nice to just glance at it to find out what gear you are in . . . which some of us old pharts can't remember more than a few seconds.
Where did you put yours? Just curious what others are doing with it.

Pick,

Sorry to be so slow responding, I've been out of town.

Anyway, I placed mine on the handlebar, between the two risers. I had a chunk of black plastic that I machined for both this and my grip heater control. You can see it in the picture, below.

Bill

Attachments

Discret

Nice farkle ,i confirm.
I added it last year in mine .
It is installed on handlebar between risers and no problem to look at .
Mine is blue lighted .

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm wondering why this showed up as a "New Post" on my computer.

Fortunately I'm getting old enought that things I heard day before yesterday sound new to me most of the time. I haven't heard an old joke in the last couple of years. :)

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Interesting frkle and a nnice clean insgtalation , BUT I have one question, Why?? These bikes are a simple 5 speed transmission .

Eldon

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
Pick, thanks for your review/instructions for the Healtech Gipro gear indicator. Installed mine yesterday and was pretty easy (except for the time removing and reinstalling the plastics). Road tested it today and works great. Was a good excuse to drive 100 miles for a Starbucks. About a year ago I installed one on my v-strom 650. Installation was a bit faster on the v-strom because not as much plastics to remove. Anyway, both work great. I think both of my bikes now are pretty much "farkled" out.
Wanda P.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Interesting frkle and a nnice clean insgtalation , BUT I have one question, Why?? These bikes are a simple 5 speed transmission .
Eldon
I know this is an old post, but since I'm here.....

$160 isn't cheap for pretty limited functionality. I recognize that it probably requires a microprocessor on the little unit to decipher the CAN-BUS signal on the bike, hence the price. But $160 seems like a lot when I got Oxford heated grips with a smart controller for something like $90.

But to answer the question "Why??": Primarily because I tend to keep going for the 6th gear that the bike doesn't have. And on some occasions, say, when you're leaving town at 35 or 45mph in 4th, and forget you're still a gear down as you leisurely get up to 55 or 60......there's a light to remind you that you're still in 4th.

This item is on my farkle to-do list, and I've got this thread bookmarked....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ya' know, after 11 years of trying to shift into 7th gear on my two '99 Kawasaki Concours, it doesn't bother me at all when I try to shift into 6th on the NT. And after 115,000 miles, I've almost remembering what the 5th gear rpm is for various speeds.

Top Bottom