3rd Nat'l NT Rally-Jul 10-13, 2013 - Spearfish, SD

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Alex, the most popular tent at the NT side of the Rally in Spearfish was the REI Half-Dome 2 Plus. I think we had five or six of them there.
yes, true, but don't forget the REI Quarter Dome. It works for my wife and I and was certainly more than adequate for me alone at Spearfish. Cheaper and smaller toting on the bike. Just a plug.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Phil
Are you suggesting I swing thru NM and CO, etc? Well maybe not NM...that would be way out of the way
Or are you thinking Arkansas-MO etc

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
What did all the campers do about meals? Cook at the campsite... nearby restaurants... I've gotta start my planning now?

Mike

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Phil
Are you suggesting I swing thru NM and CO, etc? Well maybe not NM...that would be way out of the way
Or are you thinking Arkansas-MO etc
Actually, you could nip NM by going up the panhandle through Raton, and up I-25. This assumes you're trying to take state scalps, as the prettier scenery is a bit further west (Santa Fe, Taos, San Luis Valley, e.g.)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Nigel, I'd take 287 to Dumas, then 385 through Dalhart and Clayton, to I-25. Then at Trinidad, I'd take CO-12 around to US-160, east to Walsenburg, then CO-69 through Westcliffe, east on US-50 to CO-9, north on 9 to Kremmling, east on US-40 to CO-125, through Walden to CO-127 which turns into WY-230. Take 230 to Laramie, then hop back on good ol' US-287 till you get to WY-34, take it to I-25 to Wheatland, then Grayrocks Rd (WY-160) to South Guernsey Rd. MS Streets and Trips shows the Fort Laramie road as paved, but the last time I was there it wasn't. South Guernsey Rd, takes you across the Oregon Trail just south of Guernsey, and you can see Register Cliff, a National Historic Landmark where you can see people like Jim Bridger's signatures.

Then just east of Guernsey, I'd take WY-270 and follow it up to US-18, go east on 18 through Lusk and then on east of Lusk on US-20 through Harrison, NE, past Fort Robinson (where Crazy Horse was killed), then north out of Crawford on NE-2/71. It takes you through Ardmore, SD. If you've got a GPS, it goes blank north of Ardmore, but 71 continues as a nicely paved road all the way to Hot Springs, SD. Out of Hot Springs, you'll be in Wind Cave NP (watch out for roaming bison, BTW), then past Pringle, into Custer, past the Crazy Horse monument into Deadwood, Lead, and then down Spearfish Canyon to Spearfish and the world's best city campground.

Then you can blast back on I-90 to US-83, down to North Platte, NE, then I-80 to York, then south on US-81 to Salina. From there you ought to be able find your way back.

It would be quite a few miles, but man, you'd see some of the best country in Colorado and good country in eastern Wyoming.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
What did all the campers do about meals? Cook at the campsite... nearby restaurants... I've gotta start my planning now?

Mike
Yes..

You have to understand it's a city campground so you can walk to at least one restaurant, or ride over to dozens of them.

The typical Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Subway are within about a 5 mile radius so you don't need to worry about bringing food or cooking gear. Mac and Carole from the ST site always try to do some type of meal for the group as well even though I try to encourage them to just sit around and not work.. LOL.. but they do love doing it.

Nicole

The typical Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Subway are within about a 5 mile radius so you don't need to worry about bringing food or cooking gear. Mac and Carole from the ST site always try to do some type of meal for the group as well even though I try to encourage them to just sit around and not work.. LOL.. but they do love doing it.
even if one of them is doing some good hearted fussing .....

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
yes, true, but don't forget the REI Quarter Dome. It works for my wife and I and was certainly more than adequate for me alone at Spearfish. Cheaper and smaller toting on the bike. Just a plug.
Herb, Thanks for the tip. Since I will be flying solo, the quarter dome should work fine.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
With my knees, I have a hard enough time in the Half-Dome 2 Plus; I'd be trapped forever in a Quarter-Dome. :)

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
My Coleman 8x7x 52 inches worked well, Thanks to Chris for the recomendation; It is a bit taller than the REI 1/2 domes and considerbly less $$$.I couldn't uite stand up in it , but had plenty of room for me and all of my stuff.
Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It looked like a good tent, Eldon. Glad it worked for you.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Lori, I slept great. I was in fairly serious sleep debt when I got to Spearfish. I had had a real busy week and had started some minor electrical repairs 8 days before I left. But I couldn't get the mid cowling back on the bike. Finally on Monday night (before leaving Tuesday afternoon, I called a mechanic friend and we got the bike buttoned up at 10:30 on Monday night. Then I couldn't sleep because I was excited (just like a little kid on Christmas Eve).

Tuesday I found a flat, plugged it, packed, and headed out for a BunBurner Gold attempt. Stayed awake and alert until I was past Mitchell, SD, and had given up the BBG because construction had blown my schedule. Got to the campground, put the tent up, talked a while, and went to bed. One of the campers was having family troubles, a sick relative who died during the night Tuesday night. I heard some of his conversation and then he was up early (like 5 or 6AM the next morning. But by the 2nd night, I slept great and felt very rested. Having good gear helped a lot. One of my camping things is a Luxury Light Cot which put me about 6" off the ground. With my sleeping bag and sleeping bag an integrated system, I believe I slept at least as well at Spearfish as I do at home.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Well after my air mattress blew up, I went out and got me some new camping gear. It is always ready when I need it. And I won't have to worry about the mattress going flat in the middle of the night. (see picture)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Thanks Chuck!.. with some photoshop detail effect I was able to grab your number.

Free Camping Gear for everyone!!!!!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
ah... Chuck and his Garage... it sounds like a children's book.. :rofl1:

Top Bottom