Golden pipes

ccRider246

I have about 600 miles on the new NT and I am about ready to take or in for service. I noticed that the headers are starting to turn slightly golden. isn't this usually a sign of a lean mixture? Did any of you experience the same issue? I know I can clean them but I don't want to until after I take it in for service.

Totally normal I expect. Everyone on the forum has the same golden pipes at some time depending on the ambient temperature and idle time. There are numerous threads on this and many ways to remedy the gold color if you wish to do so. In my case 2000 grit black sandpaper in combination with Semi-Chrome and a lot of effort has given a fair result. The gold will always come back.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
No worries. The pipes will discolor with mileage. Lots of options to clean them up that as Lorien pointed out have been discussed on this forum.

I have about 600 miles on the new NT and I am about ready to take or in for service. I noticed that the headers are starting to turn slightly golden. isn't this usually a sign of a lean mixture? Did any of you experience the same issue? I know I can clean them but I don't want to until after I take it in for service.

tawilke46

Another way to look at the color change on the header pipes is "patina".
At first I tried to clean the header pipes and make them shine like new.
After awhile I resigned myself that the discoloration is the "default" condition for the headers.
I keep them clean and try not to worry too much about the staining.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
As discussed in different threads, the header pipes are stainless steel not chromed.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Never cleaned mine, never will. The nice thing about stainless is they won't rust through in my lifetime.

Double wall steel and chrome works best. Single wall steel and chrome turns blue easily.

I like the functional aspect of stainless, but, I love the look of chrome with blued ends near the heads.

OP
OP

ccRider246

I am not worried about the color. I am more concerned about the bike running lean. I'm not a skilled mechanic and have no idea how good this automatic enrichment circuit is or how it really works with the throttle body injectors. Carbs I understand somewhat but not this fuel injection system. I am hearing it is normal to see this discoloration so I guess I shouldn't worry about the fuel mixture.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Nope, that color doesn't say anything about how your engine is running.

Now, if you got a pyrometer and measure the exhaust header temps right at the cyl head, and had some standard to compare it to, you could determine engine condition at that RPM, load, air temp and barometric air pressure. But, it doesn't tell you anything about on road performance.

Basically, the electronic fuel system works. It is a compromise that allows Honda to meet US and international emissions standards, gives decent fuel mileage and performance. There are times it will run lean and other times a bit rich. If it isn't working the system will flash the check engine light.

Now, if you are really interested in how it is running...get a data logging system and run the bike for a while. Then determine where you want to change the maps.

Now, does anyone know if there is an OBDII connection on the ECU? I wouldn't mind hooking my phone up to the computer to see how things are running.

I am not worried about the color. I am more concerned about the bike running lean. I'm not a skilled mechanic and have no idea how good this automatic enrichment circuit is or how it really works with the throttle body injectors. Carbs I understand somewhat but not this fuel injection system. I am hearing it is normal to see this discoloration so I guess I shouldn't worry about the fuel mixture.
I don't think we have seen a burned valve reported yet on the forum. Probably the best and most simple indicator would be to pull the plugs but on the NT that is at least a bit of trouble but not awful. Get a look at a shop manual and see if it is something you would want to try. Again though the pipe color should not be a cause for worry.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
From the starting procedure in the owners manual:

Snapping the throttle or fast idling for more
than about 5 minutes at normal air
temperature may cause exhaust pipe
discoloration.

I have no idea what type of discoloration.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Most modern engines run lean to pass emissions requirements. One of the reasons for water cooling is to keep them cool. Sam is right. If it ain't broke don't fix it. A lot of the old rules of thumb that applied to old air cooled carburated bikes no longer apply.

OP
OP

ccRider246

Thanks for the info. It sure is a nice ride.I am enjoying it immensely.

shonda7V

i have had exhaust do this before even when the mixture was perfect. i think it has alot to do with the quality of the chrome, but sometimes it is the mixture.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
ccRider246, just tell everyone you have the special hi-performance Honda Titanium racing pipes.
Ken

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
["...I'm not a skilled mechanic...or how it really works with the throttle body injectors....]

Perhaps only semantics but "throttle body" fuel injection typically has one common air inlet for the entire engine and injectors in that same casting, such as used on some cars in the 80s-90s - they looked like a strange 2-barrel carb without a float bowl. The NT has individual air inlets, each with its own injector.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
And called port injection instead of throttle body injection.

Many port FI bikes have two or more throttle bodies and need to be synchronized.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[....port FI bikes have two or more throttle bodies and need to be synchronized....]

There is no procedure in the NT700V S/M for synching the throttle bodies. The individual throttle bodies are on somewhat of a common shaft and I looked carefully at the setup the last time I did a valve clearance check and the adjuster screw & locknut face down so I thought it'd be nearly impossible to adjust synch with the engine running.

Top Bottom