Splatter from the exhaust

AmericanRecluse

My first bike did not have a flush cover over the exhaust like the NT does so I'm not sure if this is excessive residue - and indicative of bigger issue - or perfectly normal. Any thoughts?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
From my limited experience, it's a normal thing. It foretells the emminent demise (about 280,000 miles from now) of the engine and the need for at least a top overhaul.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Do you have a drain hole near the forward bottom of the exhaust? The ST1300 exhaust has that for excess moisture. I wouldn't we worried about splatter... now black smoke would be something different.. even some blue.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Definitely looks like moisture from the exhaust. Not something I'd worry about. Probably just your type of riding. A lot of short "errand" type of riding that doesn't allow the exhaust to get warm enough long enough to evaporate all the moisture in the pipe.

Just the same, make sure that weep hole on the bottom side of the muffle can is not clogged.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I make lots of fairly short trips and have this also. And a bit of black soot inside the pipe. But when I take a long trip, the inside of the pipe "cleans up", though the little black dots on the outside remain from previous rides.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I wonder if leaving it on center stand or side stand after short trips matters... I don't know where the drain hole it but maybe on the side stand not all the moisture drips out...

Just throwing darts.. LOL

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
My first bike did not have a flush cover over the exhaust like the NT does so I'm not sure if this is excessive residue - and indicative of bigger issue - or perfectly normal. Any thoughts?

I've got 30plus thousand on my bike and have seen this on my bike. It cleans up easy enough. Wouldn't worry about it.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
This is a very common problem and as others have said it is more common when often doing short trips.

I have observed this same problem on many bikes over the years and it is also determined by the moisture content in the air, how cold it is etc.

Thankfully the NT700V has a full stainless steel exhaust system so, unlike previous bikes I have owned, this problem will not lead to an expensive exhaust replacement

tawilke46

Condensation in the muffler. Not a problem. It is normal if the conditions are right for condensation and/or you do not run the bike long enough to evaporate all the moisture out.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
I have 2,400 miles on my NT and have noticed a similar spattering. However, I generally tend to operate my bike at 30 minute to 60 minute intervals. I would assume I'm burning off all moisture in this time span. Perhaps I'm not running high enough rpm?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My theory is that when you first fire up the bike, you haven't had time to burn all the moisture out of the exhaust. That's when you get the splatter.

Interesting that I have never seen my bike do this for these past three years. I am in a very humid environment most of the time but not a very cold one. And I seldom make extremely short trips on the bike. Perhaps this is the explanation.

Skyscraper

the cat converter changes the exhaust emissions to a water vapor which is where the moisture is coming from

Top Bottom